Three years since my last paella?!?!?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Three years ago, I made my first paella, and I can't believe that I hadn't made another one......until last night! It really is a pretty simple dish to make, is a great centerpiece on the table, and is tailor made for cooking over charcoal!

I decided on a paella "mixta" this time with chicken, chorizo and shrimp. It's not authentic, but since I didn't expect that any Spanish paella masters were going to show up last night to cite me for improper paella procedure, I chanced it! :) The process is pretty simple....... Fire up a chimney full of Kingsford, and, when ashed, over, spread in a single layer that is just smaller than the circumference of your paella pan (mine is 18".) Place the pan on the grill grate, add olive oil, and, when hot add the chicken (bone-in thighs in my case), turning to brown all over....5-7 minutes or so. Add green beans and butter (or lima) beans, and sauté those for a few minutes. Remove thighs to free up some more space in the pan, and add onion/garlic and sauté until they soften a bit. Add grated tomato and paprika, and cook until most of the liquid from the tomato is reduced. Add rice and stir to coat with oil and to combine with the other ingredients. Add the broth that you have simmering on the stove with some saffron, nestle the chicken into the rice/pan and let it come up to a boil/simmer. I added the shrimp when most of the liquid was absorbed, just nestling them into the rice and flipping them after about three minutes.

I love using the kettle for this cook, as the fire follow the course of the preparation really well. Nice and hot during the sauté phase, hot enough to bring the broth up to a boil, and then as it dies down, it keeps the rice simmering nicely until it's done. My vents were full open, lid off, and no additional charcoal needed.

Ok, enough chatter, here's a couple of pics! :)

Just after adding broth and back to a boil/simmer:

1626033309012.jpeg

All done:

1626033324516.jpeg

My ingredient list for 6 people:

2 cups Bomba rice
6 cups stock/water
30 threads of saffron
6 chicken thighs, skinless
2-3 chorizo links
12 shrimp/prawns
1 can butter or lima beans
1 cup green beans
6 cloves garlic
1 white onion, grated
1 tomato, grated
3 tsp paprika, sweet Spanish
Salt to taste

Beautiful.......it's been a few years since we've been to Spain and we love paella.....what pan is that?
Thanks, Brett! I love paella, too, and ate my share (along with Iberico ham) when we were in Spain five years ago! I'm sure you could whip one up with no problem, and you could probably use an appropriately sized cast iron pan if you don't want to buy a paella pan. Bomba rice is the traditional, short-grained rice for this dish, though you can use arborio in a pinch (easier to find sometimes.) My pan is just a standard paella pan.....I think mine is 18":

1626034397553.png

Fantastic, Rich. I think I have the same pan...it rocks on the kettle. Loved your write-up and the technique!
Thanks, Tim. I really am kicking myself for not doing this more often.....it really is pretty easy presuming you prep the ingredients before getting the grill going, as things go pretty quickly until the rice/broth go in! :)

R

I would keep the PK for diversity, a 22" kettle can be found pretty commonly in the used market or at most big box stores for considerably less then the PK.

That looks sooo good! I was just watching ATK the other day and they did paella on a kettle. It definitely got me in the mood. I love watching the old episodes when they cook on an SSP! Yours looks great! I need to get a pan!

That looks sooo good! I was just watching ATK the other day and they did paella on a kettle. It definitely got me in the mood. I love watching the old episodes when they cook on an SSP! Yours looks great! I need to get a pan!
I watched the ATK video on paella on the grill, too, while I was getting my thoughts in order!
Look's like I will be ordering a paella pan....this place is costing me money!
We're good about that, Eric. :)

Beautiful, Rich! I also haven't done a paella in several years. Looks like you had coals directly under yours - is that right?

Beautiful, Rich! I also haven't done a paella in several years. Looks like you had coals directly under yours - is that right?
Jim, exactly! Single layer, just a bit smaller than the pan itself. Worked beautifully!

Thanks, Brett! I love paella, too, and ate my share (along with Iberico ham) when we were in Spain five years ago! I'm sure you could whip one up with no problem, and you could probably use an appropriately sized cast iron pan if you don't want to buy a paella pan. Bomba rice is the traditional, short-grained rice for this dish, though you can use arborio in a pinch (easier to find sometimes.) My pan is just a standard paella pan.....I think mine is 18":

View attachment 32451
What are the dimensions from handle to handle?

Back