Three Pound Zuke Boat For Dinner

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
One of Barb’s co-workers gifted a monster three pound+ zucchini to us so we decided to make a zucchini boat for dinner.
Did this one on the fly, adjusting as we made it
Onion, red and green bell pepper, zucchini, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, Penzeys seasoned pepper, mild Italian sausage.
Fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil from our herb garden. Topped with mozzarella cheese.

Cooked on the E320 under the covered patio, to many thunder boomers and lighting to use the performer out in the open yard.

Both Barb and myself thought it was fantastic, will be doing this again a definite keeper.

101_6797.JPG

101_6801.JPG

101_6803.JPG

101_6807.JPG

101_6810.JPG

101_6812.JPG

101_6815.JPG

Looks great! My mom used to do a pizza inspired cook like this. Pizza sauce, Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, pepperoni. Mozzarella and Parmesan all the veggies you mentioned. Good stuff.

For those who are interested here is the recipe we made up as we went.

Ingredients

2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches) 1/2 pound ground mild Italian Sausage
1/2 Medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
¾ cup diced zucchini from
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice, divided
1 8oz can no salt tomato sauce
1can 14oz no salt diced tomatoes drained
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp Penzey’s California season pepper or regular ground paper
Fresh herbs 1/4tsp each rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil chopped.
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Finely chop pulp.

In a skillet, cook sausage, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and pepper with a sprig of rosemary, mix well and heat. Remove rosemary sprig. Mix meat mixture with the sauce. Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese of your choice.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Another option is to grill indirect at medium heat 350-400. When zucchini is probe tender it’s done. That's what we did

When scooping out the pulp for Zucchini Boats, a teaspoon is just the right size. Use your food processor or blender to finely chop the pulp quickly.

That looks great Rich! I have copied and pasted your recipe into my must try recipes word doc and will be trying it very soon. Usually I only do stuffed peppers for the hubby and myself but have wanted to try stuffed zucchini for awhile.

Back