Thinking of going back to water in the pan for brisket cook. Come inside and tell me I'm smart/dumb

I consider myself experienced with WSM and brisket.

I use a CyberQ WiFi to control temps. I am considering going back to putting water in the pan. My reasoning is that I notice when doing low/slow with the WSM all buttoned up for the ATC and no water, there is very little airflow because it hardly takes anything for the smoker to stay at 225. I think having more air activity is helpful, so with a full water pan the ATC will be forced to provide more air to keep the temps up. Sometimes it just seems like the fire is nearly dead, hardly any coals are burning and a lot of the wood chunks are nowhere close to being near the flame front when there's no water in the pan. I don't care if I use slightly more charcoal, and cleanup isn't THAT bad if I still foil the pan.

What do you think about this idea and my reasoning?

Welcome!

I never use the water pan.
If the brisket is turning out good, then I wouldn't change a thing.

Personally, I think 225 is kind of low, especially for brisket...........but I'm biased as I do hot and fast briskets and the goal is trying to maintain maintain 325...which means opening all of the vents and cracking open the door.

When I do low and slow for other cooks, (without an ATC), my WSM averages 241 degrees and there's always a good bit of charcoal left...even after all-day cooks. If smoke is your concern, I suggest sticking the wood chunks closer to the lit charcoal.

Hope this helps!

Nice, I am inexperienced with both WSM and brisket.

But similarly, my first question is why 225? I am planning my first brisket at 250.

I tried a 225 roastbeef on my WSM without an ATC, and I had to choke the fire to get low. Even then, I had some spikes by opening up the vent, and had to choke it back down. Next time for lean cuts, I'd probably add water or try the snake method.

I won't doubt your reasoning but I thought the whole idea of using a ATC is the advantage of no heat sink?
Why not try 250 or 275 for more airflow. Cut your chunks into smaller pieces like halves or quarters.

Nice, I am inexperienced with both WSM and brisket.

But similarly, my first question is why 225? I am planning my first brisket at 250.

I tried a 225 roastbeef on my WSM without an ATC, and I had to choke the fire to get low. Even then, I had some spikes by opening up the vent, and had to choke it back down. Next time for lean cuts, I'd probably add water or try the snake method.
There's probably no good reason to stick with 225.....all that does is extend the cook....I'd shoot for anything between 240 & 275 for most cooks.

I'm a convert to running in the 250-275*F range. But I still like water for reasons other than temp control and have written about it extensively. Guys that don't use water in the pan will often spritz with water numerous times during a cook.

I’m with Chris, 250-275, an hour per pound (+/-) and simple patience.
Rarely a headache!
I say rarely because there may be a curve thrown when you’re not expecting it!

I know I'm likely in the minority here, but I generally put water in the water pan, except when cooking poultry.

As Chris states in his article referenced above, water helps with temperature regulation by being a thermal mass within the cooking chamber that moderates temperature drops.

Water in the pan also moistens the cooking environment, reducing the amount of spritzing or basting necessary.

But the real advantage to keeping water in the pan is as an aid to keeping the temperature down.

Assuming the WSM isn't at a high altitude, it takes over 5 1/2 times as much heat to change 212F (100C) water to steam as to heat the same amount of water from 39F (4C) to 212F (100C).

That results in the temperature within the cooking chamber hitting a plateau when the water in the pan reaches 212F, slowing the temperature rise beyond that point, which helps to regulate the cooking temperature.

The escaping steam also carries off excess heat, which further assists in holding cooking temperatures down.

While an empty pan, a pan filled with sand or gravel, a clay saucer, a metal plate, etc., all do provide some thermal mass, they can't provide the extra temperature damping effect that water/steam does.

Mad Scientist BBQ did a more rigorous analysis of using a water pan. If you are interested; you can see his explanation here:
Do Water Pans Improve Barbecue? A Scientific Analysis

I have never used a WSM, or made a brisket, but I am totally qualified to say: try it out and see what happens. At least then you'll have an informed opinion.

I'm a convert to running in the 250-275*F range. But I still like water for reasons other than temp control and have written about it extensively. Guys that don't use water in the pan will often spritz with water numerous times during a cook.

Interesting.
With the exception of the SnS reservoir in one of the kettles, I never use water in the pan, nor have I ever spritzed anything in any of my other smokers, (WSM, Kamado). My personal opinion is that all that spritzing does is impede bark formation and extends the cook. Not knocking it, but it's not for me.

With apologies to the late Ron Popeil, I prefer to "set it and forget it"

That said, I'll try adding water to one of the cooks in the WSM to see how it affects temps....

Welcome!

I never use the water pan.
If the brisket is turning out good, then I wouldn't change a thing.

Personally, I think 225 is kind of low, especially for brisket...........but I'm biased as I do hot and fast briskets and the goal is trying to maintain maintain 325...which means opening all of the vents and cracking open the door.

When I do low and slow for other cooks, (without an ATC), my WSM averages 241 degrees and there's always a good bit of charcoal left...even after all-day cooks. If smoke is your concern, I suggest sticking the wood chunks closer to the lit charcoal.

Hope this helps!
Normally I do aim for 250-275 as I usually start early in the morning and am rushing/stressed as dinner time approaches. I want to kick that habit and just start late at night (meat on by 1am) instead of early in the morning (fire start at 6am, meat on by 7am).

Normally I do aim for 250-275 as I usually start early in the morning and am rushing/stressed as dinner time approaches. I want to kick that habit and just start late at night (meat on by 1am) instead of early in the morning (fire start at 6am, meat on by 7am).
Stress is not allowed in BBQ ;)

I've gone a long time going without water in the pan, but there's a lot of really good reasons to use it. Sometimes the bottom of briskets will get overcooked without water. You'll get a better smoker ring and you have easier temp control. You also potentially get better smoke flavor due to the better airflow you'll get from the smoker running less efficiently. The downside to water is you lose efficiency. You'll lose the ability to run higher temps. You'll also have to find some place to dump the water, unless you let it run really low towards the end of the cook (which is probably good idea). So there's tradeoffs either way and no one right answer. I like to take the pan completely out for some direct heat cooking. The WSM is very versatile.

I like to cook in the 250 to 275 range, sometimes hotter, but it also can makes sense for timing reasons to go lower.

A caveat with regards to using a water pan, and that is in regards to clean-up. While it is true that you will have to find a place to get rid of the water/grease mixture, letting the water pan go dry can create a much more difficult clean-up chore of removing the burned-on mess left behind. I try to keep some water in the pan if I start the cook with water in the pan.

I don’t use water that often. But I do like some water for an overnight brisket cook.

Moisture, keeps the temp down, and helps collect the drippings that are sooo good to add to the bbq sauce.

On an overnight, I’m fine with a lower cook temp. Just trying to log enough hours so that I can easily finish the cook the next day without sweating making the dinner time.

I usually use a higher temp and no water during the daylight part of the cook.

With brisket, I use a water pan, regardless of what I'm cooking with (offset, drum [I don't have a WSM]). Reasons are mentioned by Chris and Keith above.

I start off at 225 until the brisket hits the stall. This way I maximize the offset light blue smoke penetration which I think makes a big difference in the flavor of the bark and the flavor of the finished product. The IT moves along very nicely for the first few hours at 225. When I hit the stall, I use what I call the 100 degree rule. I move the cooker temp up to keep the cooker at IT plus 100 F. So we're talking 250, then 275, then 300. This assures the IT will move up at a decent pace during the late stages of the cook.

I think cooking a brisket straight through to the finish line at cooker temp 225 might be insane. Makes sense if you're a noob, but after a couple times, you learn to do things differently. It just takes WAY too long to finish! :-)

But the real advantage to keeping water in the pan is as an aid to keeping the temperature down.

Quoting this for emphasis.

If you check the AR site for WSM reviews, the 22" did not do well (only 3 stars), and the main reason given seemed to be that the temp tended to be difficult to keep lower than 275.

So, a water pan might be helpful.

I tried water a few times when I first got the wsm but the cleanup was a pain, never again. I keep it simple no water ever - foil the water pan and no spritzing 250-275 temp ...I will wrap in butcher paper at the stall and let rip right through it.

Back