Thermapen Smoke

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I'm thinking about getting the thermapen smoke, but I don't have one of the newer WSMs that have that silicone grommet for the probes. I'm not very handsy, so drilling into my WSM isn't something I'm comfortable with, and I'm worried that simply running the probe wires under the lid will smash the wires of the probes. Does anyone see any problems with running the probes through the vent in the lid? I always leave the lid vent 100% open while cooking, so no issues there, but I'm worried that the temperature at the top vent might fry the wires. I know they are rated to 700 degrees and that it shouldn't get that hot up there, but I wanted to make sure this plan will work before I spend the money on the unit.

Really inconvenient doing it through the lid vent (when lifting the lid, everything comes with it). Got an angle grinder? Cut a small slot in the top of the middle section through the rim,past the curve by 1/8" or so (cut will be about 3/4 to 1" top to bottom and about 1/4" wide. Grinder will go through the metal like a hot knife through butter so be slow and gentle. There is no need to force it--the weight of the grinder is more than is needed so hold it back . It can get away from you because it cuts so easily.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-a-probe-thermometer-slot.html

Last edited:
Sounds like the slot is the way to go. I hadn't considered how much of a PITA it'd be just taking the lid off to access the food. I have an angle grinder, so I think I'm going to just have to screw up my courage and cut into my WSM. Thanks for the help, guys!

Just go real slow and hold it very steady. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get carried away and cut it on an angle or go too deep. It won't ruin anything but looks are important ;)

Suggestion: set your WSM where you will usually smoke AND decide which side you want the slot on (have a table to the left that you rest the sending unit on? That's the side to cut the slot. Lay the thermo cord out and see how it works for your desired setup then grind away.

when i use probes on my grills or smokers, i run the cables under the lid.
no problem.
if you are worried about drilling, do not do it and use the EZ way out.

no blood.
no foul.
you will not hurt the cable/wire.

no problem.

no blood.
no foul.

There's your answer right there.

Yah well, I did that and I had to replace a probe (and yes, I was gentle with the lid). No idea if it was the probe or the cable but it still had to be replaced.

I have always just put the probes through the top vent but I'm not taking the lid off all of the time either. I just received the new Smoke but have not used it yet. It looks like a quality product and is easier to program then my Maverick 732. I just bought the two extra probes for the Smoke because Thermoworks was having a sale on some of their stuff and I will have them on hand if one of them goes out.

Wayne

no problem.

no blood.
no foul.

Yea its been awhile since I used one, but the Mav food probe was always placed under the lid and the pit probe was left to hang out in the top vent.
My 08 WSM didn't have a grommet and the notch idea wasn't around back then so I just went with what worked for me.:)

Tim

If you're considering buying Smoke, hope you'll consider using our link to help support the forum: http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?tw=vwb

ThermoWorks Smoke Review

I've run probe wires under the lid many times without problems. I'm always gentle replacing the lid. I also don't run the wire perpendicular to the edge of the middle section, I turn it about 45* left or right. This prevents the lid from bending the wire at a sharp 90* angle.

Slot is a good solution, too.

Back