There's no turning back now...

Well, let me see how it goes.
Ed, I want two! One to mount on the “Overperformer” and one, just because its just really cool!
Where do I send a check, cash or money order?
Timothy, thank you, sincerely, I am flattered! Yeah, I think it's cool, too! But I can see where this could get out of hand, and this is a hobby for me.

Let me do this...let me see how this first run goes. Conceivably, if all goes well and I don't have any spoilage, I will have 3 pieces. One of them I have promised to Steve because this was his idea (thanks again, Steve!) so potentially, after keeping one for myself, I will have one left. I am stopping short of promising anything beyond that, so we will have to see how it goes, and depending on how time-consuming this run is will determine if I make any more.

That paint looks like glass! Are you painting the whole thing and sanding it down?
That is a preview picture that is done by the software, to give an approximation of what the finished product will look like. I use it to try and come up with colors that harmonize (not so much in this case), but how the item is finished is entirely up to the maker. I've been using shellac and paint because it's so easily applied and then a topcoat of lacquer or Rusto Clear and at this point I favor a matte finish.

Here's the back side. I milled it down so that the wood is about 5/16" thick (down from 5/8") with a 0.050" pocket for the magnets. I hope it works! But that's the fun part.

We'll have to see how well it works. I've got small and large neodymium magnets here that are fearsomely powerful, and I've got this flexible magnetic strip that I can cut with a scissors. I'm going to try a couple of pieces of flexible strip first, but in my view, either way, it would have to be pocketed. I hope the strip is strong enough. You ever heard of the Halbach Effect? Me either, but I 3D printed a demagnetizer (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3403982) that is crazy magnetic.

The only reason I brought it up is that flexible magnets are only magnetic on one side. Now why is that? Halbach.

I did not know that. I can remember playing with magnets that would only stick to each other if they were oriented a certain way. I'm sure it's the same principle.

Well, I have kind of been in limbo here. I was supposed to get my cookbox and lid end caps back from sandblasting/powder coating last week and didn't. I thought I would here something today, and didn't. My contact at the company is also not real good about returning emails. So that's pretty much what I'm waiting on.

Only other cool thing is that I found these at ace hardware. They replace the little clips that hold the weber badge on the lid. These were perfect, they hold it super tight 20210830_212142.jpg

Well, I have kind of been in limbo here. I was supposed to get my cookbox and lid end caps back from sandblasting/powder coating last week and didn't. I thought I would here something today, and didn't. My contact at the company is also not real good about returning emails. So that's pretty much what I'm waiting on.
I know all locations are different, but what was the cost of that sandblasting job?
Were the Box and Endcaps quoted separately?

I know all locations are different, but what was the cost of that sandblasting job?
Were the Box and Endcaps quoted separately?
I didn't get a separate quote. It was $150 for sandblasting and powder coating all the parts. I'm just outside of Chicago, so yeah, I could be paying more than other parts of the country.

Well, it's been over three weeks and still haven't gotten my cookbox back from sandblasting. I wasn't expecting a two day turnaround but come on already. Remind me not to do business with them again! That's it, that's all I'm waiting for.20210908_213341.jpgResized_20210908_214435.jpeg20210908_213419.jpg

Oh, man, I would be so pi$$ed I would want to go pick up the cookbox and take it somewhere else. This has happened to me a couple of times...one time the guy declared bankruptcy and it took over a year to get my items back ('41 Ford Panel truck rear doors)...the other time a shop took my Camry apart and didn't seem to know what to do next so there it sat while they figured it out. I told them just put it back together so I could take it somewhere else (it cost me a couple hundred bucks, I think, but the satisfaction was well worth it). Gr-r-rr! 🤬

Yeah, that kind of stuff is extremely aggravating. To top it all off they don't even respond to my emails.

Back