There's no turning back now...

To be honest I wouldn't consider selling my 2000 for $1000. Regardless of market value. It's worth more than that to me personally. I'd probably be stupid to not take $1500 but I'd have to consider it. Can I even find another one to start with that looks like it's been in storage untouched for the majority of the last 30+ years for a build. Maybe maybe not. Not to mention if I just use this grill for what it's made to do for the rest of my life it will easily hold up especially with the high level 304 SS throughout the cookbox. I bet it will Outlast and perform as good of better than any $1000-$1500+ gas grill you can buy today and do it with Style. Also cleaning and maintenance is easy. Maybe I'm crazy but to me these old Webers are way under valued. These high level builds with no expense spared. Sandblast, powder coat, custom built parts on a rare model that you can't get most of the parts for anymore other than maintenance parts. To me the value of a one off build like this is $2000+. That's just my opinion it doesn't mean they will necessarily sell for that but that's the value I see in them. I'm not talking about any slap together project with mismatched parts and a half hazard paint job. I'm talking about a true Craftsman built Weber restoration.

Well, my take on things are as fallows.
I collect old Weber grills, some people collect classic cars, classic trucks, Matchbox cars, some collect Lionel trains, you kinda get the idea here.
My 5000 build was a no expense spared, will I ever use it, hell no, I don't need to use it.
My fat frame Genesis is a no expense spared restoration also, I will not use it either, I have many other user grills in my possession.
My grills that are being all out restored are considered trailer queens.
Some people will think I'm nuts and that's ok also.
I'm not here to impress anyone.
My biggest dilemma now is what Weber is number 3 trailer queen going to be 🤔

The $1000 threshold on a vintage 3 burner like your JD Special certainly isn’t what it used to be. I’m starting to think guys like us who are turning out these projects are probably more intimidated by it nowadays than our buyers are. Powder coating a frame or a lid color change both set the stage to go right by that number if the rest of the project is held to the same standards. I’ve crossed the $1K line twice thus far with restored 3 burner grills (both 1000’s) and will easily clear that number just in costs alone on my current project. With so many other “next-level” projects making a buzz on the forum right now, the $1500 barrier might be the next domino to fall in very short order on these classic cookers. Or has it already and maybe we just haven’t heard much about it? IYKYK. :unsure:;):cool:
At first I thought you meant that you spent $1000 in costs restoring, not that you sold them for $1000+. Which grills were they?

Well, my take on things are as fallows.
I collect old Weber grills, some people collect classic cars, classic trucks, Matchbox cars, some collect Lionel trains, you kinda get the idea here.
My 5000 build was a no expense spared, will I ever use it, hell no, I don't need to use it.
My fat frame Genesis is a no expense spared restoration also, I will not use it either, I have many other user grills in my possession.
My grills that are being all out restored are considered trailer queens.
Some people will think I'm nuts and that's ok also.
I'm not here to impress anyone.
My biggest dilemma now is what Weber is number 3 trailer queen going to be 🤔
Excited to see your projects finished and see what you build next!

I'm on vacation for 2 weeks and when I get back I'll finish up some small details on my 2000 and then I'll start my 1000 build.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I'm sure you do. The grill I cook on every day is in perfect working condition and I do keep it pretty clean. It has some rust starting on the frame and zbars. The paint is flaking off the cook box and end caps. The black lid has a lot of fade on top. Where does it end? If I take that grill and make it super nice again I won't use that one either. I know there's something wrong with me, I just don't know what it is exactly! 😁
It is just another one of the many symptoms of Weberitis.
I understand about not wanting to do a full a rehab on your daily driver. It winds up making it too nice to cook on. I don't have that problem. I rehabbed my franken grill once and now, once a year, break out the pressure washer and give it hell and then do a wipe down and rinse and then I head for the store for a couple steaks. It is basically a rust proof grill, so I don't have to worry about that and I certainly don't worry about grease stains on the end caps and outside the cook box. That way, I don't feel like I am mistreating it when I throw on a half dozen 75/25 burgers.

I have the disease as well. The problem with collecting grills (vs. stamps as my son suggested when he was lassoed into helping me move a bunch of grills) is that they take up a lot of space. Not as much as cars, but how many of us can be the Jay Leno of grills? I used to daydream about having a "Weber Museum" but have come to accept that I don't have room or resources for that. I have 3 small kettles on display in my office, but no room for all the projects I would love to complete and display.

It's good that you can see where you're at and where you want to be with all of this keeping what's important in perspective. For me this is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and I don't want to get to the point where I'm overwhelmed or feeling weighed down. I don't have a large acreage property or barn or large shop. I just do my projects out of my two car garages. My back shed is so small that I can't fit much more than a lawn mower in there and some garden tools. Eventually when I retire I'd like to put in and oversized RV garage next to my two car garage for projects but even then want to make a conscious effort to keep these projects within reason.

Back