the Neck Bones Connect'd to the ... Collard Greens

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
It's often interesting, upon reflection, how the day wraps up, compared to the plans when it started. Take my Sunday for example - I wasn't planning on smoking neck bones for a big pot of collard greens, but here I am. It all started out with me thumbing through a new cookbook Cindy brought home from the library: The Ancestral Table. In it is a recipe for collard greens that uses smoked pork neck... a lot, more that the usual couple slices of bacon, or a chunk of fatback. Well, I don't have any smoked neck bones in the freezer, but I do know where to get some raw ones. And, I have a bunch of fresh kale in the garden... shifting gears and away I go. Bones trimmed, oiled and peppered

smoked 'em on my Mini, with a couple of chunks of hickory. Minion, foiled, no water. Ran about 275* most of the time. I'm about three hours here - sorry for the blurry phone pic: I didn't want to let go of too much of the heat

and, about an hour later, inside for a braise

missing pic section of the post: they next simmered for an hour in chicken stock, and another two hours with the kale added. Pulled the bones and picked the meat - here's what I got!

and dished up with a black-eyed pea salad, dotted with Sriracha

Time to get some new bowls, Brian...

The recipe called for 2#, I smoked 3#, so know I have a pound in the freezer for the next time (or beans!)
Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see you around the fire!

Brian,

Ya you right! Now that some southern grub! Try your remaining neck bones in a pot of BEPs or Red Beans - they would be perfect for either...

Regards,

John

Brian, I wont pretend to understand the FIRST thing about collard greens. But anything that takes slow smoking meat, simmering, braising then adding vegetables....I'm in. Love the attention to detail, and obvious adherence to the "traditions" of a dish too.

Back