The Irony of It All

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Some of you know I’ve been trying to find another Jumbo Joe as I
deeply regretted selling my first one.
Well yesterday the first day of our charcoal ban here pops up on craigslist a Jumbo Joe which looked to be in excellent condition. Just a few miles from me.
I called and they still had it so I went to take a look and grabbed it the second I saw it. Used once and in like new condition.
Some pictures before I cleaned it.

I paid $30 for it. :)

The irony… I have to wait about 5 months to use it due to the charcoal ban.:(

101_7347.JPG

101_7350.JPG

101_7351.JPG

Last edited:
Nice find Rich. I love my JJ. We are going on our annual beach vacation in June and the JJ/Weber table combo will be providing some good eats.

@Rich Dahl ... pack it in the car, head west, then north and and then you can cook on it.

@Rich Dahl ... pack it in the car, head west, then north and and then you can cook on it.

Do it!!

Thanks guys, it's going to be hard not to fire that puppy up and do a couple of strip steaks on it.
I cleaned it up which was a ten minuet job and except for a little blue hazing on the grates it looks brand new.
Now my next thing to do is find a crapped out Genn 1000 to get the frame and to find a side burner and make a cart for it like I did for my last one. Now that I'm old slow and full of fleas the JJ is perfect for the two of us.
That and the Camp Chef and the two gassers will get us by.

Last edited:

I would love too but I don't travel well anymore and Barb has limited vacation time. We use what time we have to spend with our kids and grandkids.
But I will be thinking about you guys and looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Thanks guys, it's going to hard not to fire that puppy up and do a couple of strip steaks on it.
I cleaned it up which was a ten minuet job and except for a little blue hazing on the grates it looks brand new.
Now my next thing to do is find a crapped out Genn 1000 to get the frame and to find a side burner and make a cart for it like I did for my last one. Now that I'm old slow and full of fleas the JJ is perfect for the two of us.
That and the Camp Chef and the two gassers will get us by.

I use the JJ for when we travel to weekly cottage trips and such. You got a nice deal at $30, now you just have to do silly things like I did and purchase the slow n sear 18" model and then get yourself the killa grilla flip up grate that matches the SNS. I paid more for the grate then I did for the grill and the grill was new..... and then 2/3rds of the grill cost was the SNS cost......I have a fair bit of $$$ in my JJ setup but with those 2 accessories it can handle anything I can throw at it with ease....including a nice slow smoke. I would possibly give up either the E6 or the performer just to keep the Jumbo Joe around......I cook for 2 on it with ease, I have cooked 2 picanha's at once on it ( over 6 lbs ) and fed 7 with leftovers.
Just hid it in the garage or something and get that charcoal out...... :censored:

Nice find, Rich! Even better than the 14.5 WSM just found nearby (but I DID get mine delivered free 😁). The WSM appeared to be used only once also and cleaned up easy (but not as easy as yours).

But to the point -- I'm just back to VWB and curious about the "charcoal ban",

Nice find, Rich! Even better than the 14.5 WSM just found nearby (but I DID get mine delivered free 😁). The WSM appeared to be used only once also and cleaned up easy (but not as easy as yours).

But to the point -- I'm just back to VWB and curious about the "charcoal ban",
Same question. "charcoal ban??"

Same question. "charcoal ban??"
Hi Rick. Living in the southwest (AZ) we have been in a two decade drought and the whole area is tinder dry. We have wildfires all over the state and where we live is surrounded by national forest and state forest. We have had less than 10% of our average rain fall. So to try and prevent wildfires they place restrictions in the summer such as no charcoal use including pellet grills, no open flames, no weed eaters, campfires Tiki torches. Etc.
Gas grills if supervised are okay that's why we have two of those.
Our monsoon season starts next month and if we get sufficient rain fall they will cancel it. But the last three years no such luck, so we will most likely go to the end of Sept.
Hope that answers your question.

Hi Rick. Living in the southwest (AZ) we have been in a two decade drought and the whole area is tinder dry. We have wildfires all over the state and where we live is surrounded by national forest and state forest. We have had less than 10% of our average rain fall. So to try and prevent wildfires they place restrictions in the summer such as no charcoal use including pellet grills, no open flames, no weed eaters, campfires Tiki torches. Etc.
Our monsoon season starts next month and if we get sufficient rain fall they will cancel it. But the last three years no such luck, so we will most likely go to the end of Sept.
monsoons are a thing in AZ. flash flooding changes things rapidly.

Truly do understand! Things are rough out there -- been seeing things in the new for AZ and NM. (My phone didn't show me your location -- otherwise would have known. I see now on my laptop.)

We live in a heavily wooded, intensely green are area and yet, when the weather goes to drought, it get to be scary even here. Sure hope "monsoon come"!

Truly do understand! Things are rough out there -- been seeing things in the new for AZ and NM. (My phone didn't show me your location -- otherwise would have known. I see now on my laptop.)

We live in a heavily wooded, intensely green are area and yet, when the weather goes to drought, it get to be scary even here. Sure hope "monsoon come"!
Three years ago we have a 20K acre cattle ranch right next to use that a wildfire stared on and burned 10K acres . Barb and I went to the end of our street and watched 10+ homes go up in flames less than a 1/4 of mile from us and nothing but bone dry grass between us and them. Really scary!

100_3065.JPG

Rich you're right bone dry everywhere in our state. I'll be thinking of you tonight as I fire up my Performer and do a couple of steaks-been awhile. They just had an article in local paper about how easy it would be to start a wildfire right next to us in the Agua Fria rover bed. All that dry timber and grass could potentially light up the rooftops here too with burning embers. We're all hoping for a good monsoon season this summer.

Back