The Humor Thread

Meanwhile in Minnesota

View attachment 73275
Fortunately, our county has a great mosquito and noxious weed abatement program. One of the things that makes it so good is that the officials are elected. Usually, the only time we see many skeeters is when high winds blow them in. They're dehydrated to the point of being harmless and die within a few hours. I can only imagine how it would be without the abatement program in our mostly surface irrigated ag area.

One evening a family brings their frail, elderly mother to a nursing home and leaves her, hoping she will be well cared for.

The next morning, the nurses bathe her, feed her a tasty breakfast and set her in a chair at a window overlooking a lovely flower garden.

She seems like she’s doing fine, but after a while she slowly starts to lean over sideways in her chair.

Two attentive nurses immediately rush up to catch her and straighten her up.

Again she seems fine, but after a while she starts to tilt to the other side.

The nurses rush back and once more bring her back upright.

This goes on all morning.

Later the family arrives to see how the old woman is adjusting to her new home.

“So Ma, how is it here? Are they treating you all right?” they ask.

“It’s pretty nice,” she replies.

“Except they won’t let you fart”

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything in twbb; I mostly just lurk in this humor thread. But three years after moving into this house (almost to the day), I think I've got my outdoor kitchen area the way I want it (short of spending huge amounts of money for stone countertops/cabinets/built in pizza oven/Santa Maria grill/outdoor fridge type stuff) and thought I'd celebrate the milestone with a few photos.

Three grills, offset smoker (which doubles as an extra large grill if needed), two work stations (one I built, and one purchased), with lighting (2x2 posts mounted in large planters that are growing cilantro), plus the fireplace with pot hanger. Oh, and kept inside are the large round bottom wok that works great with the gourmet grill system, the griddle plate for the 22" kettle, and the the giant turkey frier burner/pot that just gets used for crab boils and home brewing. And I'm pretty sure I can shift things slightly to make room for a Smokey Mountain (or kamado) if I decide to get one later.

I might see if I can get some casters onto that cantilever umbrella (if I can still weigh it down), so I can move it around as needed for shade.
1687790553036.png
1687790575529.png
1687790594480.png

Now it's time to schedule a big family gathering (which nobody in our family has done since Covid started). We'll have to decide if we're really going to make it the Bayou Bash we've been talking about (well, just me really; I don't think the wife and kids are as excited about the possibility) with smoked alligator, crab boil, and gumbo (I'd probably do some pulled pork and/or hot dogs for the cowards).

<DarthVader>Impressive.</DarthVader> When's the party?

I hauled my smoker 1,300 miles round trip a year ago for a clan reunion and a high school class reunion (1 year behind mine.) Made food for about 130 people over a couple of days. Smoker ran continuous for almost 48 hours. What's really good is that my youngest nephew's oldest son was my sous chef, did a darned good job helping me trim brisket and season everything, asked me on the family Zoom call a month ago if I was coming back with my smoker this summer. :)

Family gatherings SHOULD be a good thing.

Back