The Humor Thread

Nirvana which had a big album come out 1991, it's the singer in the pic, and that makes me feel old because as a teenager I would listen to that music like it was going to expire soon, I was a teenager.

Joan, google him, he’s the Father of Bluegrass Music
I was visiting someone I used to know (brewing beer at the time,) in downtown Chicago a bunch of years ago, and he had just gotten a new SiriusXM satellite radio receiver. "What do you want to listen to?" "I'd prefer pretty much anything over rap, disco and country/western." "Bluegrass?" "Not something I listen to much, but those folks are great musicians."

A couple of hours later, I realized that I knew the track that was playing, but from a completely different genre. Hayseed Dixie was performing Baba O'Reilly (originally from The Who.) Quite a remarkable performance, and they have a whole lot of well done covers.

Hmmm… because your a guy moment.

Wife asks me to get dog food for the Puppies. Tells me what to get. I say ok. Then she wants me to take a picture of the bag. Why I asked?
she replied…. Cause there are lots of choices. Huh??? I answered. She calmly replied…”you’re a guy”.

I did get the right food……

1623446979747.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw him sing "Blue Moon of Kentucky". Like I say, "learn something new every day here." lol Thanks Tim
On the google feed? Or in person? I saw him live several times before he died. It’s sad to see the “first generation” of these guys die but, they can’t live forever.
I was visiting someone I used to know (brewing beer at the time,) in downtown Chicago a bunch of years ago, and he had just gotten a new SiriusXM satellite radio receiver. "What do you want to listen to?" "I'd prefer pretty much anything over rap, disco and country/western." "Bluegrass?" "Not something I listen to much, but those folks are great musicians."

A couple of hours later, I realized that I knew the track that was playing, but from a completely different genre. Hayseed Dixie was performing Baba O'Reilly (originally from The Who.) Quite a remarkable performance, and they have a whole lot of well done covers.
Not a fan of “Hayseed Dixie” but, I’m old, in high school, I pretty much had no idea what was going on in “current” 1975+ music of the day. Go listen to some early Flatt and Scruggs, Monroe for “classic”. There has been a lot of progressive bands which have managed to keep the spirit alive and still more who have branched out in some great directions others...not to my greatest interest.
Try the “Bluegrass Compact Disc” and the subsequent with some “second gen” pickers at full speed! A couple of those guys have gone to the larger life but, a few have been healthy enough to retire from the road.

It’s a music that has been very close to my heart for almost 50 years.
Sorry for the ramblings of a “garrulous old man”.1DF59523-5BE0-4F4F-8875-35DD625BC518.jpeg
That’s “Big Mon” in the hat, Dana Cupp (banjo player for the man, later) and Yours Truly in the Dekalb corn hat, (back when I smoked) I might have been 22-23? Crap in a hat, I’m am old!
It was Mr. Monroe’s 78th birthday (or thereabouts) we took him a cake! Photo credit to Ms. E.L. White
Also the baker! I helped baking cookies for the band.
Those were the days!

Last edited:
On the google feed? Or in person? I saw him live several times before he died. It’s sad to see the “first generation” of these guys die but, they can’t live forever.

Not a fan of “Hayseed Dixie” but, I’m old, in high school, I pretty much had no idea what was going on in “current” 1975+ music of the day. Go listen to some early Flatt and Scruggs, Monroe for “classic”. There has been a lot of progressive bands which have managed to keep the spirit alive and still more who have branched out in some great directions others...not to my greatest interest.
Try the “Bluegrass Compact Disc” and the subsequent with some “second gen” pickers at full speed! A couple of those guys have gone to the larger life but, a few have been healthy enough to retire from the road.

It’s a music that has been very close to my heart for almost 50 years.
Sorry for the ramblings of a “garrulous old man”.
Timothy, no arguments with me, really. I really do appreciate the mastery these people have at making music. Groups like Hayseed Dixie, Steven Seagulls, etc. may have fallen far afield, but the roots are still there.

Timothy, no arguments with me, really. I really do appreciate the mastery these people have at making music. Groups like Hayseed Dixie, Steven Seagulls, etc. may have fallen far afield, but the roots are still there.
Fair enough, this might all fall as much under “what is and what isn’t” barbecue in the same vein as what is and isn’t bluegrass.
I’m a more tradionalist on both fronts, I love the old school pickers, I saw Keith Whitley and Rickey Scaggs with Ralph Stanley in 1976(?). Those shows made a very deep impression on how I began to understand the music. I could say the same about influences in cooking, Graham Kerr, Julia Child, made me realize that cooking for family and friends was a fine reward, taking a kettle to bluegrass festivals was completely unheard of then.
“How sad that’s what they have” I smoked off a half dozen turkey drumsticks and shared. Next year, I counted six kettles and boxes of turkey drums!

Back