the burger ''bubble'' in the US might be about to pop. (article)

They've dropped 7 Five Guys into San Jose over the past few years, and only 3 In-N-Out Burgers, for a city with a population of 1 million people. The INOs are always packed, they will be fine. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the Five Guys close, as their locations are questionable. We're also seeing Habit Burgers popping up and a Smashburger here and there. Shake Shack has just opened their first location in Southern California, none here in the SF Bay Area.

Another trend that I predict will "bubble and burst" is quick custom pizza. We're seeing Pieology Pizzeria, Blaze Pizza, and especially MOD Pizza popping up.

I like at home burgers best because you can control exactly what goes in them and on them and they do taste better. We rarely eat burgers out.

For us it is IN n Out or preferably our own cooked at home. Always better that way. Besides, I don't like well done burgers.

For us it is IN n Out or preferably our own cooked at home. Always better that way. Besides, I don't like well done burgers.

Agree with Bob until I had an I&O after not having one for a long time. Tasted great but what a sodium bomb, home made for us from now on.

So do y'all grind your own meat or do you make patties from store bought ground meat, or does your butcher grind them? In a pinch I do butcher ground (brisket), but mostly grind them myself -- usually chuck, prime brisket and maybe 15% pork rib meat. A good texture is twice through the coarse die on a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment. I make 6oz and 8oz patties, then freeze them.

Jeff

Agree with Bob until I had an I&O after not having one for a long time. Tasted great but what a sodium bomb, home made for us from now on.
Ask for no salt on burger, or no salt on fries. You can even ask for meat doneness, In-N-Out is happy to accommodate.

Five guys provided the most bland burger I've ever had in my life!!! I'd never ever go back, even if they were free.
I'd really rather have Jacks or some other disgusting option. lool

Burgers at home are so easy, and you prepare them exactly the way that you like them. Same for ribs. I don't like to go out for them
as I like my own better. That will not change regardless of the trends.

Five guys provided the most bland burger I've ever had in my life!!! I'd never ever go back, even if they were free.
I'd really rather have Jacks or some other disgusting option. lool

I agree. I went to 5 guys early this year and was thoroughly disappointed. From the wannabe in & out tiles (red/white/palm trees), to the disappointing toppings.... I'm sure it's fine for someone straight off a desert isle, but not for me! Not at all what I expected.

Now this is what I like :) (lunch today)

13502958_10206715454026892_1052919852151608357_o.jpg

13558832_10206715453226872_1372772561994457814_o.jpg

13502957_10206715455066918_6084667983006391102_o.jpg

13528200_10206715451866838_7397489802757003724_o.jpg

Ask for no salt on burger, or no salt on fries. You can even ask for meat doneness, In-N-Out is happy to accommodate.

Don't get me wrong I love I&O, it's the only fast food burger I'll buy. The fries aren't a big problem at 245 mg, it's the cheeseburger at 1000mg and that is mostly in the meat grind and spread not added on at the end. Without the spread replaced with ketchup and mustard it's 1080mg.
Even the protein burger with lettuce replacing the bun which will never touch my lips it's 720mg.

Once a year I&O cheeseburger and fries fix and a couple gallons of water and I'm happy.;)

I know my Burger Bubble won't pop! Nothing beats home grilled burgers, but also enjoy eating them out too. When The Habit, our favorite, opened here, I forgot all about In & Out and 5 Guys.

Last edited:
We've actually got 5 guys and I like it. I've been to an In-and-Out and liked it ok. If I want a fast food burger I prefer Whataburger. We got some local joints that make good griddle style burgers with more character and more atmosphere. Generally, though I prefer my own if I have time. I usually get the meat from a small local butcher which is 80/20 ground chuck and it tastes great.

Chris i have tried Five Guys once and it was so greasy , We do not have in & out way out here in the East but I love them 25 years ago in Burbank, Steak & Shake is good and you can still taste the real steak in them, the seat of the burger joints are losing the real meat taste fast and to pricey for me plus I do not eat french fries, grilled fries yes but i stay away from fried foods all together, no soda either.
the pizza thing we had one here it lasted two years then folded up there are only a few good places left .
Making food at home is sooooo much better as you know the cook and what is in it.
My 2 cts.

For a good old diner style burger it's hard to beat Steak and Shake's flattop grill smashed steakburger.
A few independent bar and grills around here turn out some really good burgers.
Jo really liked her Classic burger at Weber Grill.
We also were not impressed with 5 Guys.
A few times a year I have to have a few belly bombers from the Castle, Jo calls them dirt burgers and won't touch them.

Back