Thanksgiving Practice

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
This past Sunday, my wife and I, did a Thanksgiving practice run. I am glad that we did a practice run. I am confident going into the BIG dinner now. We bought a #12 pre brine bird, and injected with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter and rub it with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. 22.5 WSM was my weapon of choice with KB as fuel. The smoke consisted 3 apple chunks. This time around I went with standard method of lighting the coals. I used 1 chimney of unlit and 1 chimney lit coals. My average temp, I would say, about 305.

The bird

The wife and I took a short trip to Lutsen, MN. This is type of views we get around here in Autumn.

Back to the bird...All done

Ready for consumption

Thx for looking!! Also, please have great time BBQing for your family and friends this Thanksgiving...I have a lot of things to be thankful for

Practice makes perfect! ...and we get to eat the results! How was the injected Tony Chachere's Creole Butter and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning rub combo? Did the "enhanced" bird combined with the injection work out for you?

BTW - beautiful fall foliage photo. (say that three times fast)

The butter injection was perfect with the rub. The injection had a nice butter flavor with creole spices. As far as the rub, it was nice and salty. Just be careful not to over do the rub. I love salty, but I can see that this could get away from you.

I like practice: first you get to eat it! And the small tweaks that you pick up can make a big difference for the showcase meal.

hmm which is the better pic? scenery? finished bird? plate? I think there should be poll. My vote goes to finished bird.

How long was the bird on the WSM for? Looks perfect! My company usually gives us a turkey for turkey day so I was planning on throwing it on my WSM this year, just scared of ruining so much meat!

Wow!! You did this wonderfully!!

Vince Lombardi would be proud. He said that "Practice doesn't make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect!" Ryan; I think you did this perfectly!

Great pics! Did you catch the drippings for the gravy, or make it from something else? I would think the fat from the WSM would be too smoky.

Back