Thai Jerky

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Made a batch of Thai jerky this weekend. Boys wanted the super thin stuff, ya know that cardboard stuff they sell at the gas station mini-mart. I like mine a bit thicker, but I'll still eat this...

Started with 5 pounds of thinly sliced London broil. Ended up just shy of 2.5 pounds of meat. Didn't want to mess with charcoal so used the propane beast. Used pit master pellets (cherry, hickory, maple) in the AmazeN expanable tube smoker. 8 hours total time in the smoker.

Here's the recipe for 1 pound I just multiplied by 5.

1 lb top round steak, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon dark or light soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground white pepper

I added cure #1, 1 teaspoon for 5 pounds meat. Typically this wouldn't have cure and the meat would be dried in the sun.

29866053841_1c33e4b6b8_c.jpg

29655436040_7cb9b39165_c.jpg

29866059891_24e82e85de_c.jpg

You must have a book like "Unique and Interesting Cooks" Case. Jerky looks fantastic. Did you slice that yourself or have a butcher do it?

That's the money shot Case. That looks mighty tasty.

You must have a book like "Unique and Interesting Cooks" Case. Jerky looks fantastic. Did you slice that yourself or have a butcher do it?

Thank you!

No book, but I do a bunch of research on different cuisines. Thai jerky has always been a favorite.

Yes that was all hand sliced. Super sharp knife and partially frozen. Wife won't let me get a meat slicer... No more cooking gadgets, no more smokers, geez!

Case you did it again that is outstanding Thai Jerky. Yes I'm going to get Rich to do some real soon because I like jerky.

Fantastic looking jerky, Case. Like, you I prefer jerky a little more "meaty," but that Thai jerky sure looks good.

Case;
What is your personal preference on raw meat thickness for your Thai Jerky. That looks like something I need to do!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Case;
What is your personal preference on raw meat thickness for your Thai Jerky. That looks like something I need to do!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Well I guess it depends on my mood! Sometimes I slice it thick and sometimes thin. Lately I’ve been on a thin, super dry kick. Normally I like to slice it a bit thicker. 3/8” has Been my goto. The last batch I did I sliced it around 1/4” and dried it out longer.

Back