Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Thanks for the pics. We both have the same safety switch on the carafe. The CDT basket has a flat botton, yours has a V bottom. You're saying that you're getting fine coffee grounds between the filter paper and the bottom of the basket? Okay, I guess I might be able to see that IF that pour stop mechanism isn't opening fully. The pour stop on the CDT basket is a manual slide, I just removed it completely when the rubber stopper kept failing (2 screws.)

HEY.... maybe that's it. The drip stop on yours is controlled by the presence of the carafe. If that foot plate isn't in place, is it possible that the drip stop valve is not opening sufficiently? I'd have to wonder if that valve just isn't opening wide enough.
So there is a lever that pushes up on the end of the trip stop mechanism that pushes the drip stop open by the lip of the carafe as it is pushed into place. Often the carafe gets caught up there as it doesn't seem to fit into place correctly. Tilting the carafe towards the machine fixes it but I don't think that's normal. Problem could lie here because the identical model in our beach house has no such issue and I've never had the overflow problem there.

Personally..... I'd be suspecting a manufacturing defect, but not sure if it'd be in the carafe, basket, or maybe the foot plate. If it isn't fitting together, I'd take pics and send them off to Technivorm CS for resolution (I'm sure you've already done that.)

OK...so I did some exploratory drilling. I put the unit on its side and did a few things: 1. I loosened the filter basket bracket and pushed it up hard while tightening it. I noticed the lever that contacts the carafe lip had excess plastic from molding so I sanded the front edge so the carafe would glide in problem free.
It worked! 2. I took the opportunity to clean and lube the lever and the carafe glides in now with zero resistance.
I think I may have nailed it down here.
Oh, and this AM, I brewed 7 scoops instead of 8...which is more in line with Moccamaster guidelines and a bit closer to SCA standards too. The coffee was excellent and it tasted no weaker. I've been wasting beans with that eighth scoop for almost a year now!
I don't mind. I'm good to go now!

20221123_125230_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
What weight of a dark roast are y’all using for 10 cups / 40 oz?
I'm using approximately 70 grams of beans for 1.25 liters=42.25 oz.
7x10 gram scoops. I was using 80 or 8x10 but dropped down today with no difference in taste. Using a med.dark roast...Costco Colombian Supremo right now. It's quite good.

I'm using approximately 70 grams of beans for 1.25 liters=42.25 oz.
7x10 gram scoops. I was using 80 or 8x10 but dropped down today with no difference in taste. Using a med.dark roast...Costco Colombian Supremo right now. It's quite good.
What weight of a dark roast are y’all using for 10 cups / 40 oz?

I use the 80 grams for the full 1.25 liter. Using 16 grams for each 250 ml of water. Jay you have me thinking of trying a little less. I have the manual control basket and love it because I control the drip and almost do an emersion brew at the start of every brew cycle.

So fellow Technivorm users. A question. I use only RO water in ours. But, even with that, I notice a "buildup" for lack of a better word or a "film" in the water tank. So the other day I decided "let's take out the 2 screws and remove it to clean" since MoccaMaster MUST have put them there for that purpose. Well noooooo. The tank does not come off. So I mix up some of that super duper recommended scale cleaner, use it according to direction. Well, of course the "film?" is still there. Why can't I get that off?! Anyone else see this? Find a reasonable way to get it off?

So fellow Technivorm users. A question. I use only RO water in ours. But, even with that, I notice a "buildup" for lack of a better word or a "film" in the water tank. So the other day I decided "let's take out the 2 screws and remove it to clean" since MoccaMaster MUST have put them there for that purpose. Well noooooo. The tank does not come off. So I mix up some of that super duper recommended scale cleaner, use it according to direction. Well, of course the "film?" is still there. Why can't I get that off?! Anyone else see this? Find a reasonable way to get it off?
Don't see a film per se. Do see some spots but they wipe up easily enough. I do notice it has a gold or copper tint at the bottom of the tank...but I believe the water heating element is solid copper so it must reflect up on the tank bottom a bit.
I saw today that Technivorm came out with their own grinder.
It's a get on a waiting list type of thing. I'm fine with the grinders I have though.

No nothing colored. Just this "film". I'm getting a little bothered by it. It just looks "dirty" and I can't get it out. I thought it was leftover from when I used only filtered (not RO) water. But, if it was that I would think the cleaner should dissolve it. I am almost getting to where I may go back to a Bunn. As everything in there is stainless steel. It's just the cosmetics look "unappetizing". The coffee is fine.............great even (today I ground some PEETS dark roast) Major something or other roast. I found a GREAT deal on some really primo beans a few days ago at Costco. They have 3lb bags of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058E62SC/?tag=tvwb-20 for only $12.79 and this stuff is OUTSTANDING coffee. I have I think 5 bags of it stockpiled and if I can find a way to really preserve it, I'd buy even more

No nothing colored. Just this "film". I'm getting a little bothered by it. It just looks "dirty" and I can't get it out. I thought it was leftover from when I used only filtered (not RO) water. But, if it was that I would think the cleaner should dissolve it. I am almost getting to where I may go back to a Bunn. As everything in there is stainless steel. It's just the cosmetics look "unappetizing". The coffee is fine.............great even (today I ground some PEETS dark roast) Major something or other roast. I found a GREAT deal on some really primo beans a few days ago at Costco. They have 3lb bags of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058E62SC/?tag=tvwb-20 for only $12.79 and this stuff is OUTSTANDING coffee. I have I think 5 bags of it stockpiled and if I can find a way to really preserve it, I'd buy even more
How do you fill the tank when you make a pot? Are you using the carafe or a designated pitcher or water only container? I was using the carafe and stopped. I now only use a 1/2 gal. plastic pitcher. Could be oils, residue from carafe.

I've had the San Francisco Bay Coffee Co. Fog Chaser. It's about the only Keurig stuff I could drink. Their Fog Chaser is whole bean is decent. I've been told by a good friend that knows someone that sits on their board that in addition to Starbucks, SFBCC is a main supplier of coffee to Costco. Not sure which ones but there are only 2 or 3 under the Kirkland Signature label that are carried in all locations. That's a huge contract for any supplier.

I took a close look inside the tank this AM. I did see some water spots on that polished stainless strainer on the bottom and on the inside of the clear plastic tank sides. But I would expect that especially since I use tap water. They do clean up completely when I run citric acid solution for the descaling process. Although, I use a filter when I descale and I see barely anything in it afterwards. I never understood people having machines so packed with scale that it effects function.

Yeah it's not "packed up" or anything like that. It just "looks scaly". I can't wipe it out, it's just not crystal clear like when I got it. The descaling solution helped slightly. IDK maybe I gotta do it again? They say not to use vinegar. So I don't. Bottom line. It works fine, just looks bad (to me)

Yeah it's not "packed up" or anything like that. It just "looks scaly". I can't wipe it out, it's just not crystal clear like when I got it. The descaling solution helped slightly. IDK maybe I gotta do it again? They say not to use vinegar. So I don't. Bottom line. It works fine, just looks bad (to me)
I think you'd be ok to clean that with white vinegar....maybe soak a rag with vinegar and stuff it in and let it sit for a few hours with the lid on and than just wipe out and flush with water with a brew cycle. They(Technivorm) also say to not use citric acid and than tells you to use a specific descaler that's citric acid.

Back