Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Kinda weird. I use 55 grams every AM making 8 (as marked on the machine) cups. Never had anything close to an issue unless I forgot to take the carafe seal off and replace with the brew through lid (yes, I make mistakes when sleepy). Otherwise it brews perfectly fine. And I can do a full "10 cup" brew with about 70 grams. No issue at all. I keep my KitchenAid grinder on about a number 5-5.5

Kinda weird. I use 55 grams every AM making 8 (as marked on the machine) cups. Never had anything close to an issue unless I forgot to take the carafe seal off and replace with the brew through lid (yes, I make mistakes when sleepy). Otherwise it brews perfectly fine. And I can do a full "10 cup" brew with about 70 grams. No issue at all. I keep my KitchenAid grinder on about a number 5-5.5
Is 5 medium?

Yeah. 5 to 6 is where I keep it depending on the coffee I am using. So it's sort of a medium fine range.

At 17-18 on the Encore, I'd say the ground size is very close to store bought ground coffee...perhaps a tiny bit more course.
I've also concluded that interrupting the brew cycle for 30 seconds does absolutely nothing but extend the brew time by 40 seconds or so. I'm quitting that step.

Had one of those mornings where the Moccamaster misbehaved again. Turned my back to feed the dogs, turned around to see coffee and grounds all over the counter. I tried to autopsy what happened. Couldn't figure it out. The two possibilities are: 1. Mechanical issue...carafe wasn't placed correctly or 2. too much coffee and grounds overflowed over the filter clogging the filter basket.
I used the same measure of coffee beans I always use so I have to rule that out.
Puzzling.

Hrrm. In a year & a half, ours has dumped all over the counter exactly once, and that was before I pulled the pour-stop off off the bottom of the basket (it had be left closed.) Purely operator error.

Hrrm. In a year & a half, ours has dumped all over the counter exactly once, and that was before I pulled the pour-stop off off the bottom of the basket (it had be left closed.) Purely operator error.
I'd say third time in just under a year. I'll own up to operator error for at least one... carafe may have not been placed correctly but his last one has me baffled. It had me take a other look at brewing ratios. I was trying to brew to SCA Golden Cup standards using weight that was pre measured....8 scoops to 1.25 liters. A bit more coffee than Moccamaster recommends unless you want s bolder pot, which we generally do. I'm going to back off to 7 scoops this AM. If it's weak and sucks, I'll dump it and go back to my 8 scoop standard. But I don't believe it's too much coffee. Same amount and pretty much the same beans I always use.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221123-043611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123-043611_Chrome.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@Jay D in Jersey I'm still trying to wrap my tiny little brain around how you've managed to get fines in the bottom of the basket, thus plugging the drain. Any chance you can post a pic of your basket?

As far as carafe positioning goes, our CDT has a microswitch as a safety. If the carafe isn't pushed back against the base of the coffee maker, the microswitch (extended plunger) remains open, and the cycle won't start. It's pretty darned hard to start a cycle without the carafe in the right position. Now, brewing with the full stopper left in place, that's left as an exercise for the student.

I still think it's either a faulty grinder or an issue with the basket itself. I can load my basket right up to near the top and it doesn't overflow. Truly to date the only 2X I had issues were my own fault (left the thermal cap on the brew pot not the brew through). No sleep will do that to you :D Also get yourself a nice little scale. I don't go by "scoops" I go by weight. Moccamaster gives a chart with cups to recommended weight of coffee

an issue with the basket itself
I have to think that's what's going on. With the arrangement in my CDT, there's no way I can get fines down under the filter into the drain hole. The ribs in the bottom of the basket suspend the filter paper above the bottom, I am just not seeing how this could clog up.

I'm not sure what it is but I'm sure what it's not and that's the grinder.
My model has a thin plastic foot plate which I find annoying when I slide the machine out to use it. Mostly it's fine but it does detach from the base of the machine. It's only held in place by some molded slots on the base. Moccamaster says the foot plate must be in place...I don't know why but I keep it there just the same.
Yes, mine has the shutoff contact switch too. I think they all do.

Attachments

• 20221123_100532.jpg
    20221123_100532.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221123_100538_HDR.jpg
    20221123_100538_HDR.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221123_100549.jpg
    20221123_100549.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221123_100613_HDR.jpg
    20221123_100613_HDR.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the pics. We both have the same safety switch on the carafe. The CDT basket has a flat botton, yours has a V bottom. You're saying that you're getting fine coffee grounds between the filter paper and the bottom of the basket? Okay, I guess I might be able to see that IF that pour stop mechanism isn't opening fully. The pour stop on the CDT basket is a manual slide, I just removed it completely when the rubber stopper kept failing (2 screws.)

HEY.... maybe that's it. The drip stop on yours is controlled by the presence of the carafe. If that foot plate isn't in place, is it possible that the drip stop valve is not opening sufficiently? I'd have to wonder if that valve just isn't opening wide enough.

Back