Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Yeah, I am coming to the end of my "on sale" bag gotten for $11.99. Dark roast coffee of any brand is getting hard to find so I figured I'd try the SB and see if at home it tasted "burnt". It does though not as badly as in their stores. In any case it's back up to $20 a bag so this kid won't buy again

Yeah, I am coming to the end of my "on sale" bag gotten for $11.99. Dark roast coffee of any brand is getting hard to find so I figured I'd try the SB and see if at home it tasted "burnt". It does though not as badly as in their stores. In any case it's back up to $20 a bag so this kid won't buy again
I think I grabbed it because it was $7-8 off the regular $21 or $23 price.
Live and learn. I'm leaning to just stick with Costco Colombian Supremo and Peets Major Dickasons. I'm about 6/10, at best with trying different coffees at Costco. The Sam's Club we go to on occasion has awful choices, Don Pablo, which I tried once a few years back and tossed the bag after three pots or so and Starbucks. That's it. They get some Member's Mark Colombian occasionally. It's just OK.
A buddy of mine, who knows someone on the board at SF Bay Coffee Co., told me they're the supplier for the Kirkland Signature coffee...don't know if that's bs or not.

I tried out a new Moccamaster Select, direct from Technivorm. I really wanted to like it, but it did not work for me. Using the Moccamaster filters, the brew basket and filter kept overflowing, and when it didn’t, it took too long to empty, making bitter coffee. Technivorm recommends about 60 grams of beans for a pot, but this caused the basket to back-up. I could only use 30-35 grams. Grinding the beans with a Baratza Encore, I tried settings from 20 to 40, but could not get a good brew, and settings under 25 caused the basket to overflow. Lucky for me, Technivorm took the brewer back and I am waiting on a refund. The search continues.

I tried out a new Moccamaster Select, direct from Technivorm. I really wanted to like it, but it did not work for me. Using the Moccamaster filters, the brew basket and filter kept overflowing, and when it didn’t, it took too long to empty, making bitter coffee. Technivorm recommends about 60 grams of beans for a pot, but this caused the basket to back-up. I could only use 30-35 grams. Grinding the beans with a Baratza Encore, I tried settings from 20 to 40, but could not get a good brew, and settings under 25 caused the basket to overflow. Lucky for me, Technivorm took the brewer back and I am waiting on a refund. The search continues.

Hmmm. I wonder if something was off on that one.

Completely different than mine. I do 100 to 105g, ground at 17 on the virtuoso+.

I get a pot in about 5 mins. I used the filters that came with it and Melitta natural brown too.

I'm with @DanHoo on this. I'd suspect mold flashing in the drain hole in the bottom of the grounds basket. Hrrrm.... another possibility, these coffee makers use a relatively coarse grind, a fine grind might do the same thing. Yeah, I know, I'm probably preaching to the choir. Is there any chance that you ran a cycle with an empty basket, then maybe just an empty coffee filter?

For our CDT model, 100g of coffee, and about 7-8 minutes.

Yeah something seems off to me as well. I have run mine with grinds as fine as espresso (I did not realize I had bought that accidentally) and no over flow at all. Not the most efficient brewing but definitely no overflowing. I smell either a defective basket or operator error

I use 17-19 on a Baratza Encore with my Moccamaster...Zero issues unless I'm the prime suspect in user error.
I have two CDGT models. I grind 8 scoops of beans to a full pot/reservoir of water. Just under 7 minutes brew time. I bought two wooden scoops that I have weighed the beans on a kitchen digital scale to achieve the following SCA standard:

Coffee to Water Ratio for Cupping​

When cupping, the ratio of 8.25 grams (whole bean) coffee (± 0.25 grams), to 5.07 fluid ounces (150 ml) water shall be used. When adjusting due to vessel size, a ratio of 1.63 grams (whole bean) coffee per 1 fluid ounce of water (or 0.055 g coffee per 1 ml water) shall be used.

I use tap water that's not filtered.

I find my morning coffee brewing ritual to be therapeutic...and the coffee is pretty darn good with few exceptions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-235908_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-235908_Chrome.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm with @DanHoo on this. I'd suspect mold flashing in the drain hole in the bottom of the grounds basket. Hrrrm.... another possibility, these coffee makers use a relatively coarse grind, a fine grind might do the same thing. Yeah, I know, I'm probably preaching to the choir. Is there any chance that you ran a cycle with an empty basket, then maybe just an empty coffee filter?

For our CDT model, 100g of coffee, and about 7-8 minutes.
It drained ok with and without the filter, but adding grinds is where it failed. Looking at the grinds post brew, all of the silty ‘fines‘ appeared to be gathering at the bottom of the cone, right over the drain hole, clogging the filter. No problem brewing the same grinds in my Bunn.

of the silty ‘fines‘ appeared to be gathering at the bottom of the cone, right over the drain hole, clogging the filter

Ah.......so, a large amount of fines, effectively making concrete right over the drain. <scratches head> Well, wait a sec. The basket on our CDT has radiating ribs, probably a quarter inch tall, keeping the the filter paper off the full bottom of the basket, Even if fines did collect right over the drain, the raised ribs keep the filter paper up off the bottom of the basket. The filter paper we use (I did use up a couple of boxes of Technivorm's, now using Bunn commercial 12 cup filters,) doesn't stretch even when wet, I don't see this sort of thing happening here.

Frech press for this guy. Got spendy on a stainless double walled one but works great.

Yesterday I set my Baratza Encore to 20, which should be medium, and ground 50 grams. The filter in the Bunn barely contained the grinds during brewing, with a little bit going over. Today I set it to 30, medium coarse, with the same amount of coffee, and it did not overflow, but the coffee is much more mild. Still that’s with only 50 grams. I see others online setting their Encore to 18 and then brewing 80 to 100 grams with no issue. So is it the grinder? Two more things, I’m using filtered water from my fridge, and the house is on a water softener.

Last edited:
I use filtered water all the time RO to be exact. Have never had any of these issues. Might be the grinder? IDK as I have never tried one of those. I have a big heavy KitchenAid burr grinder. I grind about 2 or 3 days worth at a time.

Sorry Jay D, I didnt mean to hijack the thread.
You didn't really. It's really meant to be about coffee experience, equipment, what works for folks and what doesn't.
I'm puzzled why your Encore is problematic for you.
Mine works flawlessly. I have the grind set to 17-18 which produces a perfect medium course grind which is just right for the Moccamaster.
As I may have mentioned before, I bought wood scoops that hold the proper weight of beans such that eight scoops of beans is the correct weight ratio to 1.25 liters of water of the Moccamaster carafe when filled...according go the SCA Golden Cup standard. I grind the beans for each pot, none in advance. It's a process and somewhat satisfying ritual every morning that has been delivering consistently good coffee(roast/bean quality dependent) for three years. The addition of the Baratza Encore grinder and Moccamaster machine made for noticeable improvements in flavor vs their respective predecessors.
The Encore is slow and noisy but remarkably consistent in grind quality.
It's also easy to clean and basically maintenance free.
The other grinder at our other home, a Delonghi Ariete, which is no longer available, does an excellent job in grind consistency and is fast and relatively quiet but not quite as neat and efficient as the Encore.

Last edited:
You didn't really. It's really meant to be about coffee experience, equipment, what works for folks and what doesn't.
I'm puzzled why your Encore is problematic for you.
Mine works flawlessly. I have the grind set to 17-18 which produces a perfect medium course grind which is just right for the Moccamaster.
As I may have mentioned before, I bought wood scoops that hold the proper weight of beans such that eight scoops of beans is the correct weight ratio to 1.25 liters of water of the Moccamaster carafe when filled...according go the SCA Golden Cup standard. I grind the beans for each pot, none in advance. It's a process and somewhat satisfying ritual every morning that has been delivering consistently good coffee(roast/bean quality dependent) for three years. The addition of the Baratza Encore grinder and Moccamaster machine made for noticeable improvements in flavor vs their respective predecessors.
The Encore is slow and noisy but remarkably consistent in grind quality.
It's also easy to clean and basically maintenance free.
The other grinder at our other home, a Delonghi Ariete, which is no longer available, does an excellent job in grind consistency and is fast and relatively quiet but not quite as neat and efficient as the Encore.
It was the grinder. I got a replacement Encore from Baratza after talking to their tech support, who was excellent. The new grinder runs with a consistent sound, while the old one made an oscillating whirring sound, like an old washing machine. Something was out of balance, causing the grind to be inconsistent. Maybe a bent or misaligned drive shaft or something. That explains all the fines. I‘m homing in the settings to work with my Bunn. I may try a Moccamaster again once the grinder settles in. Thanks for the help folks.

It was the grinder. I got a replacement Encore from Baratza after talking to their tech support, who was excellent. The new grinder runs with a consistent sound, while the old one made an oscillating whirring sound, like an old washing machine. Something was out of balance, causing the grind to be inconsistent. Maybe a bent or misaligned drive shaft or something. That explains all the fines. I‘m homing in the settings to work with my Bunn. I may try a Moccamaster again once the grinder settles in. Thanks for the help folks.
Glad you got it resolved. Speaks well to Baratza as a good outfit.

Back