Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Thanks for the pics. We both have the same safety switch on the carafe. The CDT basket has a flat botton, yours has a V bottom. You're saying that you're getting fine coffee grounds between the filter paper and the bottom of the basket? Okay, I guess I might be able to see that IF that pour stop mechanism isn't opening fully. The pour stop on the CDT basket is a manual slide, I just removed it completely when the rubber stopper kept failing (2 screws.)

HEY.... maybe that's it. The drip stop on yours is controlled by the presence of the carafe. If that foot plate isn't in place, is it possible that the drip stop valve is not opening sufficiently? I'd have to wonder if that valve just isn't opening wide enough.
So there is a lever that pushes up on the end of the trip stop mechanism that pushes the drip stop open by the lip of the carafe as it is pushed into place. Often the carafe gets caught up there as it doesn't seem to fit into place correctly. Tilting the carafe towards the machine fixes it but I don't think that's normal. Problem could lie here because the identical model in our beach house has no such issue and I've never had the overflow problem there.

JKalchik

TVWBB Guru
Personally..... I'd be suspecting a manufacturing defect, but not sure if it'd be in the carafe, basket, or maybe the foot plate. If it isn't fitting together, I'd take pics and send them off to Technivorm CS for resolution (I'm sure you've already done that.)

OK...so I did some exploratory drilling. I put the unit on its side and did a few things: 1. I loosened the filter basket bracket and pushed it up hard while tightening it. I noticed the lever that contacts the carafe lip had excess plastic from molding so I sanded the front edge so the carafe would glide in problem free.
It worked! 2. I took the opportunity to clean and lube the lever and the carafe glides in now with zero resistance.
I think I may have nailed it down here.
Oh, and this AM, I brewed 7 scoops instead of 8...which is more in line with Moccamaster guidelines and a bit closer to SCA standards too. The coffee was excellent and it tasted no weaker. I've been wasting beans with that eighth scoop for almost a year now!
I don't mind. I'm good to go now!

20221123_125230_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
What weight of a dark roast are y’all using for 10 cups / 40 oz?
I'm using approximately 70 grams of beans for 1.25 liters=42.25 oz.
7x10 gram scoops. I was using 80 or 8x10 but dropped down today with no difference in taste. Using a med.dark roast...Costco Colombian Supremo right now. It's quite good.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm using approximately 70 grams of beans for 1.25 liters=42.25 oz.
7x10 gram scoops. I was using 80 or 8x10 but dropped down today with no difference in taste. Using a med.dark roast...Costco Colombian Supremo right now. It's quite good.
What weight of a dark roast are y’all using for 10 cups / 40 oz?

I use the 80 grams for the full 1.25 liter. Using 16 grams for each 250 ml of water. Jay you have me thinking of trying a little less. I have the manual control basket and love it because I control the drip and almost do an emersion brew at the start of every brew cycle.