Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

FWIW, I am giving serious consideration to moving from the Moccamaster to the Breville Precision Brew. For a couple reasons. One, I like the flexibility of the Breville to be set up night before and on a timer. Yeah I know it's not the best coffee, but wife is still working. She does not like dealing with the Moccamaster when she's up way earlier than I am. So, it may make both our lives a ilttle easier. Two, larger capacity with more flexible brew options (cone filter for smaller batches < 8 cups and round basket for larger batches. 3 The ability to do a "fast brew" when I have a house full of guests all wanting a coffee. (here the ability to do a 12 cup fast brew would be so helpful) and 4. the flexibility of the brewer in terms of brew cycles, bloom and so on. All seem quite attractive to me.
And last, a little more ease of use and care. The entire carafe opens to more easily facilitate cleaning, no need for all kind of separate pieces (brew cap, keep warm cap, lid for brew basket and such.
I've found a couple "deals" and may just grab one.
While I like the brew the Moccamaster gives me, as good as it is it's still not as good a brew as the Oxo Barista Brain gave me (even though that brewer was plagued with problems like leaking carafe seams, leaky brewer and so on. I have to believe the Breville HAS to be a better made overall product than the OXO

The night before setup is easily accomplished with one of these:
Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart Plug HS103P2, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control,15 Amp,UL Certified, 2-Pack White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8W2KHZ/?tag=tvwb-20
I have a ton of those. Made by FEIT Electric. They work great. I pulled the plug last night on an open box Breville. Honestly in some ways I like the design a little better. we'll see. The Moccamaster will not be "going away". One reason I enjoyed the coffee so much from the OXO, was the spray head design covers the bed of grounds better. I watched my Moccamaster today. It makes an initial "sploosh" then just pretty much runs out the ports closest to the water tank. Pretty much leaving the rest of the bed, to be wetted by "osmosis" and leaving a pretty good "divet" in the bed of grounds. I've played around with both grinders, for grind size and if I grind coarse enough to stop the divet, one side of the bed is still dry/nearly dry while the other is saturated, if I tighten up the grind size to where the bed gets wetted, I get the large divet.
The OXO, has a large spray head and saturates the bed evenly and fully. Getting extraction from the full bed. I'd stick with another OXO but the workmanship is bad and they end up leaking from the carafe seams within a few months. The Breville product seems to address both issues. Large spray head, 2 different brew basket types, no pieces to change around. (something my wife hates).
I'll give it a test. Getting it cheaply enough I know I can recoup my investment if need be.

I've observed the head while brewing on both of our Moccamasters...hot water comes out in pulses across the head intermittently. All grounds seem to get soaked fairly evenly.
But I've read about your concerns with that too. Supposedly they have come out with a new design on the model that was on sale yesterday on Amazon.

I've observed the head while brewing on both of our Moccamasters...hot water comes out in pulses across the head intermittently. All grounds seem to get soaked fairly evenly.
But I've read about your concerns with that too. Supposedly they have come out with a new design on the model that was on sale yesterday on Amazon.
Who did that? Moccamaster or some aftermarket. Honestly I researched the living heck outta that right up until last night when I pulled the trigger on that Breville. If you know a link please share. If you're referring to the actual Moccamaster redesigned head, mine is newer and already has the newest factory spray head.

Who did that? Moccamaster or some aftermarket. Honestly I researched the living heck outta that right up until last night when I pulled the trigger on that Breville. If you know a link please share. If you're referring to the actual Moccamaster redesigned head, mine is newer and already has the newest factory spray head.
I read it in comments on SlickDeals...so definitely not a reliable source but they also mention the newer SS carafe as having a borosilicate glass lining. Neither of mine do and Moccamaster speaks to these newer models having that...but no mention of a redesigned shower head on their site.

Here's the quote from the post that suggested it:

"cbr1000 ( 18 cbr1000 is finding his bearings ) Nov. 19, 2023 at 9:14pm
I wonder if this is the newest version with improved spray head and glass lined caraffe.
Report This - Reply"

Went to the web site. They do have a new carafe. It looks like it will pour better than the one with the huge lip around it, I can never get a "clean pour" with mine. Always dribbles and drips on my counter. But spray arm looks the same.
I even watched the process this AM on mine. Water sort of "burst" out of the arm. Splashed into the bed. Sort of moved the grounds a little. (one their site they call this the "bloom"). But I only had an area about the size of a large coil wet. Then it gurgled more water and grounds directly under the arm got wet. If I grind it a little coarser most of the bed is dry as the water passes right through. If I grind finer, (what they claim is too fine), I get the huge divet. Seems the only way I can get full flavor is if I stand there, manually push the safety switch in, watch the brew basket fill, release the safety switch, wait 30 sec, then put the pot under and let it go. Now the brewed and "bloomed" coffee comes out so quickly it sometimes over runs the lip of the carafe.
I love the machine but I am just not having the greatest of luck no matter how I grind, type of beans, etc . Unless I go through this ritual. Meanwhile I have a wife who is VERY impatient in the AM not caring how it tastes. Just "give it to me".
I can make a wonderful cup, but it's a ton of work. Which is why I think I want to try the Breville. And also why I think the OXO actually made a better cup. It has a large spray head. Totally saturates the bed, stops and blooms then continues on with the full cycle. Honestly I think Technivorm could take some lessons from that brewer and incorporate them into their brewer and have the most drop dead fantastic brewer ever.
Too bad the OXO is made like crap in terms of bulid quality and will not hold up much more than 6 months.

Went to the web site. They do have a new carafe. It looks like it will pour better than the one with the huge lip around it, I can never get a "clean pour" with mine. Always dribbles and drips on my counter. But spray arm looks the same.
I even watched the process this AM on mine. Water sort of "burst" out of the arm. Splashed into the bed. Sort of moved the grounds a little. (one their site they call this the "bloom"). But I only had an area about the size of a large coil wet. Then it gurgled more water and grounds directly under the arm got wet. If I grind it a little coarser most of the bed is dry as the water passes right through. If I grind finer, (what they claim is too fine), I get the huge divet. Seems the only way I can get full flavor is if I stand there, manually push the safety switch in, watch the brew basket fill, release the safety switch, wait 30 sec, then put the pot under and let it go. Now the brewed and "bloomed" coffee comes out so quickly it sometimes over runs the lip of the carafe.
I love the machine but I am just not having the greatest of luck no matter how I grind, type of beans, etc . Unless I go through this ritual. Meanwhile I have a wife who is VERY impatient in the AM not caring how it tastes. Just "give it to me".
I can make a wonderful cup, but it's a ton of work. Which is why I think I want to try the Breville. And also why I think the OXO actually made a better cup. It has a large spray head. Totally saturates the bed, stops and blooms then continues on with the full cycle. Honestly I think Technivorm could take some lessons from that brewer and incorporate them into their brewer and have the most drop dead fantastic brewer ever.
Too bad the OXO is made like crap in terms of bulid quality and will not hold up much more than 6 months.
I don't know...could be some scientific variables in there way above my pay grade...surface tension of water coming out of the head, etc...
Both of our Moccamaster CDGTs function perfectly from what I've observed....I love being retired and having the time to observe such things!😆
Just tried a new Starbucks Winter Blend that was on sale at Costco yesterday. Pretty good. Much better than their regular burnt beans. Also picked up a 3lb. bag of San Francisco Coffee Co. French Roast for $12... it's good.

I don't know...could be some scientific variables in there way above my pay grade...surface tension of water coming out of the head, etc...
Both of our Moccamaster CDGTs function perfectly from what I've observed....I love being retired and having the time to observe such things!😆
Just tried a new Starbucks Winter Blend that was on sale at Costco yesterday. Pretty good. Much better than their regular burnt beans. Also picked up a 3lb. bag of San Francisco Coffee Co. French Roast for $12... it's good.
Funny thing is I have tried different types of water. Our village is supplied with artesian water. It's good water but hard as nails without a softener. Sadly to be on par with gummint regulations they chlorinate the heck out of it. So, as an experriment when I got the Moccamaster I tried using that water but run through a carbon block. Taste is great, all the minerals and such are still there, but the bad odor of chlorine and a few other nasties are taken out by the filter. I did this rather than run the RO in it. I get the same issue with both water types. So to simplify the plumbing, I pulled the line of the filter water and went back to the RO. I don't taste or see a difference in the coffee or the performance of the machine in regard to fully wetting the bed of grounds.
So unless I literally stand over the machine, watch the flow, holding the safety switch, wait 30 seconds then let it out I am haivng a difficulty time getting what I feel to be properly extracted coffee.
I have not tried bottled water but, I would hate to have to resort to that. So I have been experiementing since I got the machine to try to find a way to achieve tihs. With grinders and grind degree, types of coffee and brands (PEETS, Kirkland, Starbucks, and more than I can count) and grind size from 4 different grinders.
I'm at a loss, so we'll see what the Breville can do. I really don't believe it's my coffee, or the grinders. Because the OXO was able to make outstanding coffee. I have also used a Bunn and a Zojirushi. Both great brewers BUT both used basket filters and to make the amount of coffee wife and I use the bed depth on the basket is not enough to get a solid brew.
So, IIRC the Breville will arrive Monday. I'll go through it and likely try it out Tuesday. I'll see what happens with that.

Well I forgot, have to take dad to an appointment tomorrow. So no way I will try that Breville Tuesday. Tuesday I will just go through it, clean it and make it ready for Monday. Plus I have a mixer on my bench for a customer, I want to finish.

Well the Breville arrived. It was from an online estate sale person. So I snagged it cheap ($135). Was very clean, ran a descale cycle and a couple pots RO water through it to be sure. Seems to be in good form. Observation. It dwarfs the Moccamaster which looks like a toy next to it. OUtweigs it 2-1 as well. Even the carafe is VERY sturdily built and so easy to wash. You can stick your hand in there with a sponge and clean it right out, it just "pours" when tipped. No unscrewing a lid, no "dribbling" I have high hopes here. I'll do first pot with my normal grind and on Gold setting and see what I get.

Well the Breville arrived. It was from an online estate sale person. So I snagged it cheap ($135). Was very clean, ran a descale cycle and a couple pots RO water through it to be sure. Seems to be in good form. Observation. It dwarfs the Moccamaster which looks like a toy next to it. OUtweigs it 2-1 as well. Even the carafe is VERY sturdily built and so easy to wash. You can stick your hand in there with a sponge and clean it right out, it just "pours" when tipped. No unscrewing a lid, no "dribbling" I have high hopes here. I'll do first pot with my normal grind and on Gold setting and see what I get.
Interested to hear how it brews.

OK, a few pics to show it on the counter. Couple cool features is more capacity than the Moccamaster (only an issue during large gatherings when I need to brew twice), also can use either basket or cone filter. Many settings as well. Works quite differently than Moccamaster as well. This one use the pump from their espresso machine to pump water after it reaches target temps, and control the flow rate. Where as the Moccamaster is a simply boiling coil and moves the water by boiling it up through the tube.
I measured the water in the pot after a gold setting cycle and it was 185 (which after passing though the brew basket, and then finally into the carafe makes sense and seems to agree with my findings from the Moccamaster

20231128_100842.jpg20231128_100900.jpg20231128_100911.jpg20231128_100920.jpg20231128_100949.jpg

I'm showing up late to the party.... Wife and I rented an Airbnb in Beech Mountain NC for the Thanksgiving weekend since it allowed our adult kids to join us for the weekend since it's closer to them than where we live in SE Georgia.

The rental cabin had a Technivorm Moccamaster machine in the kitchen.

1701193385059.png

Of course I loved using it. I've actually been looking for my own new coffee maker. We recently got the wife a Breville Barista Pro since she prefers lattes and cappuccinos. It's great but I just found myself missing the taste of everyday brewed coffee. I love the Moccamaster but would almost never need a full pot of coffee so I was looking at the Moccamaster Cup-One which is currently on sale at Amazon.

Anyone use this version or know anything about it?

Funny thing is I have tried different types of water. Our village is supplied with artesian water. It's good water but hard as nails without a softener. Sadly to be on par with gummint regulations they chlorinate the heck out of it. So, as an experriment when I got the Moccamaster I tried using that water but run through a carbon block. Taste is great, all the minerals and such are still there, but the bad odor of chlorine and a few other nasties are taken out by the filter. I did this rather than run the RO in it. I get the same issue with both water types. So to simplify the plumbing, I pulled the line of the filter water and went back to the RO. I don't taste or see a difference in the coffee or the performance of the machine in regard to fully wetting the bed of grounds.
So unless I literally stand over the machine, watch the flow, holding the safety switch, wait 30 seconds then let it out I am haivng a difficulty time getting what I feel to be properly extracted coffee.
I have not tried bottled water but, I would hate to have to resort to that. So I have been experiementing since I got the machine to try to find a way to achieve tihs. With grinders and grind degree, types of coffee and brands (PEETS, Kirkland, Starbucks, and more than I can count) and grind size from 4 different grinders.
I'm at a loss, so we'll see what the Breville can do. I really don't believe it's my coffee, or the grinders. Because the OXO was able to make outstanding coffee. I have also used a Bunn and a Zojirushi. Both great brewers BUT both used basket filters and to make the amount of coffee wife and I use the bed depth on the basket is not enough to get a solid brew.
So, IIRC the Breville will arrive Monday. I'll go through it and likely try it out Tuesday. I'll see what happens with that.
I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but in just getting acquainted with the Moccamaster line I noticed they said to not use RO water since it will increase the corrosion on the copper heating element. Just wondered if you were aware that they recommend to not use RO water.

1701193807540.png

I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but in just getting acquainted with the Moccamaster line I noticed they said to not use RO water since it will increase the corrosion on the copper heating element. Just wondered if you were aware that they recommend to not use RO water.

View attachment 82810
Interesting. Good find. I probably tossed that along with other info when I received both my Moccamasters. I've only used tap water for both and the coffee tastes great...every time. I tried using the filtered water from the refrigerator but it takes too long and I couldn't taste any difference.

I read it. And I "get it" in theory. I actually did run an independent hard (filtered) water line up to my sink. It was a bit of a headache because I use RO water in the kitchen for other things. Cooking, my ice maker, and so on. But, I persevered and gave it a whirl. I tried it side by side. RO in it and just the plain filtered artesian water we get here in the village. Made no difference in taste or aroma, or brewing. So in order to do this satisfactorily would have meant running yet a 3rd line up, and, a second faucet on the kit sink.
Now quite truthfully? If I had noticed some magical properties making my coffee take on mystical taste and aroma qualities I would have done it. But, I didn't And it was too big a PIA cooking with just filtered water as ny pans would develop a mineral coating. Made them miserable to clean.
Also every time or second time I brewed, the inside of the water tank looked dirty.
So I just pulled that filtered line out, reconnected the RO line and called it a day. I figured if the heating element began to leak............I would take it apart and install a new one. That would be easier than the headache of a 3rd faucet on the kitchen sink.
And FWIW I tried the regular filtered water with many different grind sizes, bean brands and types (everyting from med roast to dark) and not one little bit of difference could be attributed to "the water".
Also every other brewer I have ever had never said anything about not using RO, only to use "good clean" water. So IDK define "good clean".
Don't get me wrong. The Moccamaster is an outstanding product. My gripe is pretty much no matter with what I grind with, how I grind, type or brand of coffee. Unless I stand there every AM, and hold in the safety button until about 2 indicated cups brew into the basket, then release the button, and wait 30 seconds or so, the bed of coffee is never uniformly "wetted". I always end up with either a "dry area" or a big "divet" in the bed on one side of the basket. As 80% of the water discharges to the side of the bed closest to the water tank.
This has been an ongoing frustration since I have owned it. I even tried pre-ground commercial coffee i.e. PEETS and a couple other quaity brands. Nothing changed it. (and yes the counter and coffee maker are level). This is the only brewer of all I have had with this issue.

Last edited:

Back