Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Sorry, I'm not explaining the question very well. I'm trying to understand the drip control between some of the models.

KBT: Adjustable brew basket features a manual drip-stop to brew a half pot, a full pot, or a full drip-stop for a quick cup before the brew cycle completes.

KBGT: The brew basket automatically stops the flow of coffee when removing the carafe.

If I'm understanding this, the automatic needs the carafe in place for coffee to flow, and the manual is just a sliding thing to stop the flow ?

Oh, I have the KBGT. I did not want to mess around with the lever on the side. Not that I pull the pot before it's done, I just don't want to deal with drips and stuff if I forget

I bought the thermal carafe 15 cup (office duty) model. No brew strength control. It did come with a manual drop stop on the basket, and that's turned out to be a complete waste to the point that I completely removed i from the basket (rubber seal gets damaged VERY easily.)

It makes very good coffee, and the carafe does keep it sufficiently warm for a couple of hours for us (which is about how long the pot will last for us.) It brews completely in 7-8 minutes and the lack of a drip stop for us is a complete non-issue.

Yeah, the Moccamaster is a bit spendy. But the cup of Joe at the local coffee shop is about $4 nowadays. With the delicious drip you get from your Moccamaster, you trips to the coffee shop will diminish and you will be $$ ahead in a few months. I love my Moccamaster. Makes my mornings at home at lot nicer. Its fun to try different blends and grounds. I have a nice grinder and I have learned that the grind does effect flavor and body. I used to use a blade grinder and I finally upgraded to a good burr grinder. Money well spent on the grinder. Handy for making cold brew that works with a very coarse grind.

Yeah, the Moccamaster is a bit spendy. But the cup of Joe at the local coffee shop is about $4 nowadays. With the delicious drip you get from your Moccamaster, you trips to the coffee shop will diminish and you will be $$ ahead in a few months. I love my Moccamaster. Makes my mornings at home at lot nicer. Its fun to try different blends and grounds. I have a nice grinder and I have learned that the grind does effect flavor and body. I used to use a blade grinder and I finally upgraded to a good burr grinder. Money well spent on the grinder. Handy for making cold brew that works with a very coarse grind.
Which grinder do you have and what grind setting do you prefer?

My current drip coffee maker is dying and I need a new one. I watched this thread for a while but lost track of it and am seriously considering a MM and I'm trying to decide between the thermos, or the glass carafe, and also auto-shutoff or manual.

This will be my daily driver.

I read @LMichaels comment that the carafe doesn't keep the coffee as hot, but I think that's OK. I drink two 8oz cups first thing and then a cup or two later in the day. I'm already microwaving the third/fourth cup or making ice coffee if its hot out.

Which makes me wonder if I should just get one with the Glass carafe?

If it matters, I also have a couple of french presses and and a bialletti moka pot. I tend to use these on weekends when I have more time or want something a little different.
ive seen a taste test on seattle coffee gear youtube channel and they claim the glass carafe tasted better...the hotplate keeps the coffee around 170-180f ...I purchased the glass version in 2015 and the carafe is a little delicate, factor in the chance you might have to purchase a replacement eventually . I currently do pour over coffee only and I use a stainless steel carafe and havent noticed an issue and I am very sensitive to taste .. I tried 3 different "high end" drip makers and decided its probably best to go all in on the moccamaster due to the fact it has parts available to repair it...coffee maker for life

ive seen a taste test on seattle coffee gear youtube channel and they claim the glass carafe tasted better...the hotplate keeps the coffee around 170-180f ...I purchased the glass version in 2015 and the carafe is a little delicate, factor in the chance you might have to purchase a replacement eventually . I currently do pour over coffee only and I use a stainless steel carafe and havent noticed an issue and I am very sensitive to taste .. I tried 3 different "high end" drip makers and decided its probably best to go all in on the moccamaster due to the fact it has parts available to repair it...coffee maker for life
Thanks @David-B Last night I was reading which moccamaster should I buy and that video is referenced in the glass vs stainless section. I tend to make a full pot and half or less will sit in the pot for hours. Reading about how this affects SS reminds me of my old Stanley stainless thermos and the patina left inside of it.

I drink coffee at all temps. Hot, cool, cold but don't like when it cooks itself to death on the burner. I have the hotplate set to turn off after 30 mins on my current coffe maker.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 59691 KB

Thanks @David-B Last night I was reading which moccamaster should I buy and that video is referenced in the glass vs stainless section. I tend to make a full pot and half or less will sit in the pot for hours. Reading about how this affects SS reminds me of my old Stanley stainless thermos and the patina left inside of it.

I drink coffee at all temps. Hot, cool, cold but don't like when it cooks itself to death on the burner. I have the hotplate set to turn off after 30 mins on my current coffe maker.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 59691 KB

The patina you speak of is easy to clean in the stainless carafs. Hot tap water and a dishwasher pod or an ounce of dishwasher liquid and let it soak for1-2 hours. Rinse thoroughly and it will be new inside.

I will never buy another glass carafe maker again. SS does not affect taste (if you clean it) and therein lies the huge caveat. With some dishwasher pods or detergent it's ezpz to keep it spotless. Every few times after use I put about a tsp of Cascade liquid in mine with hot water. Next AM do a good shake/rinse with hot water a few times and it's clean. I really hate the smell of coffee on a hotplate and the taste I hate even worse.

I will never buy another glass carafe maker again. SS does not affect taste (if you clean it) and therein lies the huge caveat. With some dishwasher pods or detergent it's ezpz to keep it spotless. Every few times after use I put about a tsp of Cascade liquid in mine with hot water. Next AM do a good shake/rinse with hot water a few times and it's clean. I really hate the smell of coffee on a hotplate and the taste I hate even worse.
Great minds think alike..
Haha

I'm pretty serious about my coffee. And here's my priority list of gear and where to spend the $$$:

1. I paid the most $$$ for my grinder. Grinding beans fresh and at the right size/consistency is more important to me than everything else. I have a low end Baratza Encore -- $170. Probably should have spent more for a higher end grinder.

2. I paid the next most $$$ for a stand alone carafe. No coffee maker carafe or hot plate really does that good a job. No matter how you make your coffee, you should pour it into a HQ carafe. The 1.85 liter Zojirushi ($50) is my preferred. Just like the ones you see in commercial settings.

3. So long as you have #1 covered, the coffee maker matters the least imo. A Bunn speed brew works good. So does a Mr. Coffee or a pour over. A 51 ounce Bodum French Press ($50) is what I use now. Makes a great cup o Joe if you get the grind (see #1) right.

4. I keep my cup o Joe on my desk on an adjustable Cossori mug warmer and matching flat bottom, uninsulated, steel mug. $40. Keeps the coffee at my Goldilocks drinking temp for hours on end-- 141F after the half n half goes in. Saves me a lot of $$$ on coffee since there's no more half cups that get tossed.

Looks like my whole set up costs about what a MM would cost.

Last edited:
We used Powdered Brewery Wash (aka a food safe OxyClean for the kitchen) for a lot of stuff, including cleaning out the coffee carafes. It makes very short work of most baked or burned on messes in the kitchen, do not let it sit on bare aluminum. I buy it by the 8 lb. tub.

I'm pretty serious about my coffee. And here's my priority list of gear and where to spend the $$$:

1. I paid the most $$$ for my grinder. Grinding beans fresh and at the right size/consistency is more important to me than everything else. I have a low end Baratza Encore -- $170. Probably should have spent more for a higher end grinder.

I have a blade grinder, and have had one for as long as I can remember.

I started shopping for a burr grinder a year or so ago when my krups blade grinder died. I had an old one as a spare but kids noticed it died and gave me a new and improved blade grinder for my birthday.

I need to revisit the grinder.

Suggestions?

I started shopping for a burr grinder a year or so ago when my krups blade grinder died. I had an old one as a spare but kids noticed it died and gave me a new and improved blade grinder for my birthday.

Suggestions?

My Baratza Encore is a good entry level burr grinder. I had cheaper burr grinders that were good for drip coffee. But not good for the coarser kind of grind you need for french press. I don't do espresso, so I don't know how good it does on very fine grinding.

Made in Seattle -- I think they supply Strarbucks.

Suggestions?
I debated the encore but decided I probably didn’t need 40 different grind settings , I purchased the capresso infinity with 16 grind settings . It works great , quieter compared to some others but only has a simple timer with auto shutoff . The encore is probably the most popular Grinder for those who seek a higher level machine but doesn’t break the bank , oh and they can be repaired

We killed a couple of economy burr grinders (Cuisinart brand) in less than a couple of years, and completely splurged on a much larger Breville Smart [burr] Grinder. It's been several years, and just keeps running.

One thing that we have done is that we weigh the grounds, 100 grams per Technivorm's recommendations, and it's not consistent in terms of what the grinder's timer gets set to. A fairly common run is actually for what the Breville considers 26-28 cups (may mean I should dig it out a bit.)

2. I paid the next most $$$ for a stand alone carafe. No coffee maker carafe or hot plate really does that good a job. No matter how you make your coffee, you should pour it into a HQ carafe. The 1.85 liter Zojirushi ($50) is my preferred. Just like the ones you see in commercial settings.

3. So long as you have #1 covered, the coffee maker matters the least imo. A Bunn speed brew works good. So does a Mr. Coffee or a pour over. A 51 ounce Bodum French Press ($50) is what I use now. Makes a great cup o Joe if you get the grind (see #1) right.

4. I keep my cup o Joe on my desk on an adjustable Cossori mug warmer and matching flat bottom, uninsulated, steel mug. $40. Keeps the coffee at my Goldilocks drinking temp for hours on end-- 141F after the half n half goes in. Saves me a lot of $$$ on coffee since there's no more half cups that get tossed.

Looks like my whole set up costs about what a MM would cost.
Point #3 is entirely incorrect. The water temperature, rate and volume of flow as well as dispersion of the water over the grounds are critical to the quality and taste of the coffee. Not many drip coffee makers meet the established standards.

We killed a couple of economy burr grinders (Cuisinart brand) in less than a couple of years, and completely splurged on a much larger Breville Smart [burr] Grinder. It's been several years, and just keeps running.

One thing that we have done is that we weigh the grounds, 100 grams per Technivorm's recommendations, and it's not consistent in terms of what the grinder's timer gets set to. A fairly common run is actually for what the Breville considers 26-28 cups (may mean I should dig it out a bit.)
I apologize if I missed this, but are you brewing for large groups?

Back