TBT Killer smoke ring on my Tri-tip 2007

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
This is my version of Throw Back Thursday! This was back in 2007, my early days of smoking. I bought this $99 off set smoker from Walmart, and threw a tri-tip on there. I kept adding wood chips to the coals, until the Tri-tip looked done. To my surprise, was the killer smoke ring! The tri-tip was very moist, tender, and the flavor was just amazing!!!! I've learned a lot about smoking in the last 10 yrs or so, fun to go back to memory lane! Here are the pics :).

Wood chips.

Smells great!

View of smoker.

Looks done to me.

Sliced.

Wow look at the pink ring!

Another look.

Happy with the results! Thanks for looking :).

Amazing smoke ring, had one of those offsets too. Had about a 50% success rate with it, of course I had no clue about smoking then.

Amazing smoke ring, had one of those offsets too. Had about a 50% success rate with it, of course I had no clue about smoking then.

Same here, offset smoker did great during the summer, but did not hold heat well in fall/winter/spring, a fuel hog, I always had to keep feeding it a lot of charcoal, wood, etc. I did get some great results, but ended up selling it. I did learn a lot back then about smoking meats :).

Back