Tamale Skool

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Feeling the need for advanced education and personal growth (my waistline), I registered for a tamale making class.
It was hosted by a Hispanic supermarket in town - Northgate Market.

People began lining up early for the event.

gvNnZnm.jpg

The instructor along with 3 assistants greeted her students and made everyone feel very welcome.

TqXq56C.jpg

The level of organization and planning was amazing. Everyone's work station included an apron, hairnet, masa spreader, corn husks, 2 kinds of masa (one for meat fillings and one pineapple), 2 different fillings (beef and pork) and waxed paper.

M4v33FZ.jpg

One of several displays showing items for making tamales.

karHkhA.jpg

After showing us how to pick the correct side of the corn husks and spread the masa, she demonstrated adding the fillings.

5Wcfkbz.jpg

And folding the husk around the filling.

NZWe3T9.jpg

My first pork tamale in progress:

7m9BrmF.jpg

Zmz3HOH.jpg

The instructor explained how to steam them, the assistants served several plates of tamales (my favorite was a pineapple with vanilla ice cream topped with dulce de leche) and everyone of age a small glass of Cerveza Modello and Chelada. Class then adjourned. Everyone left the store with a goody bag with an apron, masa spreader, hairnet, the tamales we made and several coupons.

Immediately after getting home, I crossed my fingers and began steaming the tamales.

j6KKrWg.jpg

About an hour and 20 minutes later...

Iv3DMG1.jpg

Last edited:
OcPn1sP.jpg

2 of 4 of my first tamales! My wife got the pineapple and the other pork one.

Xx6bYkK.jpg

The one on the left got steamed with the ends switched, so the filling ran out of it a bit. Still tasted great.

I am now a certified expert tamale maker.

GucQyL8.jpg

Have planned a tamale party for when family is here for the holidays. Good times!!!

I've got some seasoned shredded smoked brisket, pork and beef in the freezer I can't wait to use for fillings.

Last edited:
Me too, I love tamales ............ I wonder, did they pronounce tamale as .............. tamal ............ or tamalee , with an ee sound on the end?

Was watchin " Pati's Mexican Table " on PBS Create .......... and she pronounced it tamal , without the E sound on the end.

Me too, I love tamales ............ I wonder, did they pronounce tamale as .............. tamal ............ or tamalee , with an ee sound on the end?

Was watchin " Pati's Mexican Table " on PBS Create .......... and she pronounced it tamal , without the E sound on the end.

She pronounced it as tamalee. I've seen/heard it both ways around here. Even on restaurant menus.

That had to be fun Robert. When we lived in California we had some good friends that were into making tamales and around this time of the year they would invite use to their home and we would spend the day making a whole lot of them. Good stuff.

This is probably one of the best posts I've seen in a long time! If it was closer I would ask for this as a Christmas gift. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This thread made me hungry for tamale, so I made a run for a dozen, then had pork and chicken/jalapeno tamale with this porter

z5j8c44.png

I've had all the stuff to make tamales in my pantry for at least a year :)

What fillings do you think you'll do? I thought I'd try some chile colorado & chicken mole, shredded beef.

...chili relleno?

The little tamale shop / restaurant I used to go to is now sharing their kitchen so I have to watch for their facebook posts to see when they're there with specials.

I've had all the stuff to make tamales in my pantry for at least a year :)

What fillings do you think you'll do? I thought I'd try some chile colorado & chicken mole, shredded beef.

...chili relleno?

The little tamale shop / restaurant I used to go to is now sharing their kitchen so I have to watch for their facebook posts to see when they're there with specials.

I have seasoned and shredded brisket, chuck, chicken and pork butt in the freezer. Will def make a red sauce for the beef and a green for the chicken and pork. One of my favorites is jalapeno and cheese, so will make more than a few of those. And some pineapple/raisin. Maybe some strawberry/raisin.

I'm going to make it ez on myself and everyone else and purchase pre-made masa, several more masa spreaders and an extra ice cream scoop (makes portion control simple).

We have some friends from New Mexico that live in our town now. Every year they throw a tamale making party. Everyone is assigned a station and the assembly line begins. They have three large tamale steamers going. Everyone that helps goes home with 20 tamales! Fun way to spend a day with friends or relatives.

Looks great! I learned how to make them from my mom, she grew up in Mexico. Where I live there are plenty of Hispanic markets that have fresh Masa and all of the supplies. I usually make them for friends, neighbors, coworkers as Christmas gifts. This year I set aside the first and third weekends to make them - made nearly 600 red chile pork tamales!

To the question about pronunciation - tamal is singular and tamales is plural. No such thing as a tamale 😁

Robert, those look delicious. Like Rich said we haven't done that in years, it just may be time to do it again. Thanks for sharing your great cooking class.

Our class was via youtube, and they took a trip down to the local Hispanic market for supplies.
We have made them a few times since as well. I fire up the WSM, smoke a pork butt for a couple hours, add red sauce
to complete the filling and finish off in the crock or Instant Pot.

Very Cool!

Another Great post, Robert! You do the BEST things in life! Really! You Do!!
And your posts of your cooking are top-notch! My Favourites!

Very cool Robert ! I haven't had many tamales many times but I enjoy trying the different types when I get the chance.

Back