Survivor: patio edition.

Which would you vote off the island?

• Total voters
I took the suggestion from @Rich G and went back 3-4 months. I looked at pictures of my cooks and tried to remember the ones I didn't bother taking pics of. I considered 1) results of the cook 2) ease of using the grill and 3) was cooking on it enjoyable.

I'll start like they do on those reality TV cooking shows. The top two that have been used the most and I enjoy cooking on over the past 3-4 months.

1. BGE. all the cooks were great. My only complaint is the 18 inch grate. If I have time for coal, this is my first choice.

2. E330. Best supporting actor comes to mind Lots of quick cooks, often veggies or sides while something is cooking on the BGE or salmon burgers which we tend to enjoy often. ease and speed to heat cannot be beat. The side burner has started almost two dozen chimneys of coal for the BGE, Kettle and WSM and is also my outdoor wok cooker.

These two grills are both safe.

Third place goes to the OTP. I picked it up in October for free. I was without a kettle for about 5 years so I used it a bunch, yet it needs some help. I need to either invest in some improvements for it or replace it with something equal or better ( an E6, or maybe a performer )

Fourth place is the Genesis 1000 dressed to look like a silver B. I finished this just before winter and it has only been used for rotisserie, yet this is where it shines. When I restore the Genesis 3 in my garage this may be exchanged for that but as the weather gets better I expect this will be used for more cooks. If you are wondering how I combined these, its more or less here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/1998-2000-genesis-silver-1000b.89120/

The pellet and the WSM.. neither are safe. Both might go.

I bought the pellet to have an "easy button" for smoking, yet the cook results are better on the BGE. The pellet may be the first to go and has already been offered to a family member to try.

I'm on the fence with the WSM. I should try cooking on it more but I might just polish it up and flip it.

If E6 is really in the plan, the BGE has a smaller “for sale”’window so I’d recco selling that now as we get into the grilling season so you can maximize your selling price.

If you do ditch the WSM 22, I’d also consider selling that early in the season to get the most $$ out of that one too.

Gassers and pellets are, IMO, easier to sell as they’re more year-round type grills and there are more of those on the resale market than BGE and WSM 22’s.

Just my $0.02. You could get down to 2-3 grills and cover all your needs, easily and simply. Heck, I own 2 cooker and use is 100% E6, 0% Summit 670S gasser.

If E6 is really in the plan, the BGE has a smaller “for sale”’window so I’d recco selling that now as we get into the grilling season so you can maximize your selling price.

If you do ditch the WSM 22, I’d also consider selling that early in the season to get the most $$ out of that one too.

Gassers and pellets are, IMO, easier to sell as they’re more year-round type grills and there are more of those on the resale market than BGE and WSM 22’s.

Just my $0.02. You could get down to 2-3 grills and cover all your needs, easily and simply. Heck, I own 2 cooker and use is 100% E6, 0% Summit 670S gasser.
Agree… E6 gets used the most, just wife and I. Have the gasser (SE-335) as well. Got new home for a WSM 14, WSJ, 22 premium kettle while keeping WSM 22 stored in the garage. I would note that the regifting the kettle caused me to lose my roti. Not one readily available for the E6. Not sure why there isn’t a choice or two. Perhaps E6 sales don’t support doing it?!?!

Agree… E6 gets used the most, just wife and I. Have the gasser (SE-335) as well. Got new home for a WSM 14, WSJ, 22 premium kettle while keeping WSM 22 stored in the garage. I would note that the regifting the kettle caused me to lose my roti. Not one readily available for the E6. Not sure why there isn’t a choice or two. Perhaps E6 sales don’t support doing it?!?!
My thoughts are the E6 has just started to make market inroads. As more and more word gets around, there are more sales of them. The reviews on Weber’s product website are very solid for E6s. It is positioned as the ultimate charcoal grill so it’s really an upgrade for many people, not a first timers grill purchase (regular kettles are, and they’re damn inexpensive with a high value proposition).

I’d bet a roti does make its way to market. Weber can repurpose what they already have and build a dang ring to support it. That’s all that’s needed to implement it.

I’d probably even consider one if it was $79 or so. And I’m strongly considering selling my Summit 670S this spring. Prices are solid and it’s in near excellent condition. Maybe worth $1600 as new ones are now $3300.

That's funny you mention that Brett. I kept an old kettle only for the roti attachment (and maybe chimney starts) so far after getting the WSK. We still do a couple of chickens per month at this time. That would be nice if Weber developed a new ring for the WSK that we could still use the spit/motor on.

I wanted to get down to four grills. With the WSM leaving soon I'll claim victory.

20220419_165313.jpg

However, the One Touch Platinum kettle I picked up last fall needs a bunch of work. Grates are trashed, the tabs for the coal grate were bent up to raise the grate and are rusting, it needs a lid gauge, the table needs to be fixed or replaced, its too low so I need to lift it up and it needs some casters so it rolls more easily to get it out of the rain. I thought about adding a pizza kettle, or maybe a roti/kettle combo, but after adding up the costs and work, the OTP is leaving the island too.

20220419_174135.jpg

And then there were three...

20220419_165348.jpg

Back