Super Bowl - what’s on the menu?

I must say, once I got someone to come and share the feast it was quote lovely indeed! And I’ll admit, I’m working in first gear this morning. Nothing important on the docket so, I can take it as easy as possible!
Nice....the red sneak up on yah maybe?????
It can happen.....this will be me come Monday.

Chiefs 24, Niners 17 in regulation.

On the menu today, hickory smoked chicken wings w/Penzeys Northwoods seasoning and pork belly burned ends "kabob style" on the WSM as well. Got everything seasoned up/prepped yesterday so all I have to do is build a fire and drop em' on the rack

Notice how chicken wings look like Arrowheads when you remove the wing tips?? ;)

View attachment 86350

View attachment 86352
How long did you cook the pork belly?

Hypothetical question...............
If the woman of your household makes tons of plans and you are no longer available to cook for the Superbowl.......but maybe catch most of it on TV....because you get home about 7:00EST or so......should one.....

A) Be upset and stay quiet
B) Be upset and make sure everyone knows
C) Brush it off and try to make the Daytona 500 even more fun ( 1 week later and the Monday is a STAT day off work )

Just asking for a friend.
Lmao.

We did good nachos, wings, and some killer Philly cheesesteaks. A few pics.

Deep fried the wings this time. Side burner chipped in admirably. Maintained 350° with ease.
20240211_185037.jpg

Dry aged ribeye. I smoked it for about 30 minutes on Saturday night. Then wrapped tightly in fridge. On Sunday, I froze it for 5 hrs and then sliced 1/8 inch on the mandoline.

Also, please note my fine*** hand modeling skills. Many have compared me to a young Vanna White.
20240211_174015.jpg

Cheese sauce. Velveeta and some quality Vermont cheddar. 8 oz, grated. Milk added. Constant stir for about 15 minutes.
20240212_203136.jpg

Beef tallow, onion, ribeye. Mixed in about 3T of the cheese sauce. At this point, 3 of the sammies were made
20240212_221711.jpg

Served. This was the last of the four. Top off for photo effect. The rest were hinged and properly served.
20240212_221718.jpg

I might love the SB threads more than the Thanksgiving ones. Thank you all for the brilliant cooks and inspiration!

Go Pats! Oh, right...dammit.

Deep fried the wings this time. Side burner chipped in admirably. Maintained 350° with ease.
View attachment 86491

Dry aged ribeye. I smoked it for about 30 minutes on Saturday night. Then wrapped tightly in fridge. On Sunday, I froze it for 5 hrs and then sliced 1/8 inch on the mandoline.

Also, please note my fine*** hand modeling skills. Many have compared me to a young Vanna White.
View attachment 86492

Cheese sauce. Velveeta and some quality Vermont cheddar. 8 oz, grated. Milk added. Constant stir for about 15 minutes.
View attachment 86493

Beef tallow, onion, ribeye. Mixed in about 3T of the cheese sauce. At this point, 3 of the sammies were made
View attachment 86494

Served. This was the last of the four. Top off for photo effect. The rest were hinged and properly served.
View attachment 86495

I might love the SB threads more than the Thanksgiving ones. Thank you all for the brilliant cooks and inspiration!

Insanity……

View attachment 86491

View attachment 86492

View attachment 86493

View attachment 86494

View attachment 86495

I am not sure about the Vanna White reference, this comes to mind regarding hand modeling, lol!

How long did you cook the pork belly?
About 3 or 4 hours at 275 ish. This was probably too long, and lower temps might work better. Would definitely recommend indirect heat. If using an WSM, use the water pan (with water or without). I did not use the water pan and think it would have been way better without the fat dripping into the coals. Direct heat works on the WSM works well on a lot of other things, but pork belly is just too fatty. You may want to check Brett's thread. This recipe isn't "burnt end style but maybe reference his cook times and temps?

About 3 or 4 hours at 275 ish. This was probably too long, and lower temps might work better. Would definitely recommend indirect heat. If using an WSM, use the water pan (with water or without). I did not use the water pan and think it would have been way better without the fat dripping into the coals. Direct heat works on the WSM works well on a lot of other things, but pork belly is just too fatty. You may want to check Brett's thread. This recipe isn't "burnt end style but maybe reference his cook times and temps?

Cook time was just less than 2 hours for a slice tender PB (less than 170°F).

I took my porchetta to 175° and rested it and it was pe decent sliceable and not stringy.

So depending on how you want the PB to chew/tear/eat, I’d start a sample at 165° and go up 5° from these each step. I’d stop at 185 as then you’re nearing full render as in melt in your mouth. We prefer some of the pork texture versus melting PB when we eat it.

Hope this helps. My temps were bumpy as I was probably getting time pressed to get food served. It was a big week when I did this cook.

1708661361576.png

Porchetta for comparison. Much higher heat in the cook. Next time I’d not go as high but cook lower for a little longer to done temp:

1708661531173.png

Thanks! I always use the water pan, but never put water in it. I keep it double-wrapped with foil, leaving a tiny space between the layers with crushed balls of foil. I read, somewhere, that keeps drippings from burning. I also put a disposable pan on top of that to make it easier to clean after the cook.

Back