Sunday Pork Butt

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
A 6 pound pork butt seasoned with Smokin Guns Sweet Heat.

After 2 hours in the 22.5 WSM, using hickory, apple and a full water pan. Temperature is holding
steady at 235.

11 hours later, after a 1 hour rest, it was pulled. I did wrap it at 180 as we were getting hungry
and it had stalled at that temp for over an hour. I did not add any liquid to the foil. It only took
another hour to get to probe tender at 203.

No buns tonight, just plain pork and leftover macaroni salad.

I don’t think it could have come out any better. Nice smoky flavor and it was tender, juicy and the bark was fantastic.

No buns tonight, just plain pork and leftover macaroni salad.

Nothin' wrong with just some pork on the fork, Mike! :) The mac salad looks fantastic as well.

Glad to see you back posting pics of your cooks.

My wife and MIL both said they just like it on a fork better than as a sammich. Do they all hit the "stall" or does it just depend?

Looks good, I had a sandwich of it again tonight.

Looks great Mike, I've always foiled mine but I may try it a lower temp and see how it comes out unfoiled.

That is one great looking butt Mike, without the bun looks good will try that next time.

Great looking pulled pork, Mike. Sometimes we like to forego the bun too. Just makes for a lighter meal. Love that salad.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :)

Clifford S: The Sweet Heat is great on pork and chicken. Give it a try and I think you will agree.

Looks pretty dang good Mike, I've gone the distance a couple times too instead of doing the smoke / braise trick you taught. I like both ways, but I have to admit the bark is better when skippin' the braise

Good to see a post from you, good to be back too

I like to break off big chunks of pork and eat it with some veggies i cook in the Dutch oven. Its nice to break free from the pp sandwiches.

Great looking cook Mike!!! Just how much heat did you get from the Sweet Heat? Made some pulled pork a few weeks ago for a family gathering and opted against using it, out of fear that everyone wouldn't share in my love of all things spicy. Ended up using Three Little Pigs Championship BBQ rub instead.

Back