Sunday football vortex wings

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I figured I’d give this vortex another try. Haven’t been overly impressed with it but hey, keep trying till you get the desired results.

SPG and a dash of cayenne. Vents fully open for max heat.

1668376345781.jpeg

Let me know if I’m doing something wrong here.

It’ll be 4 of us. Blue cheese dip with carrots and celery. And I’ll dress these when they’re done.

At 30 mins in. Around 450° dial temp on the WSK.

1668377665685.jpeg

Somebody like the sun

1668379026205.jpeg

Dressed with SBRs thinned with ACV and Tabasco. Cooking the sauce through the last 8 mins cook time. Total grill time is 1 hour.

1668379078480.jpeg

Last edited:
It’ll be 4 of us. Blue cheese dip with carrots and celery. And I’ll dress these when they’re done.
You sure you don't mean 40? :ROFLMAO:

DH cooked us wings like that last night and I dipped mine in Ranch and he had some kind of hot sauce. Very good.

DH cooked us wings like that last night and I dipped mine in Ranch and he had some kind of hot sauce. Very good.
It’s the Costco 6 pack and I defrosted 4. Each pack has around 9-11 wings. These are smaller than I prefer. Leftovers will be a quick dinner this week.

I have to agree! I counted 54, I think. My wife cooks for an army and I'm trying to break her of leftovers so that would be too many for the 2 of us. And while I love dark meat (she won't eat wings -- not enough meat on them -- or drum sticks because of the veins), all I can think is that there are 27 chickens running around without wings...Anyway, looks delish as always! Enjoy!

I have to agree! I counted 54, I think. My wife cooks for an army and I'm trying to break her of leftovers so that would be too many for the 2 of us. And while I love dark meat (she won't eat wings -- not enough meat on them -- or drum sticks because of the veins), all I can think is that there are 27 chickens running around without wings...Anyway, looks delish as always! Enjoy!
Thanks for counting! We’re 5 now. Another kid showed up. Sundays are like that here. My kids and their friend just show up. Wings are a social food.

Going to make thin burgers tonight. Got a 4.3# chuckie at Costco this AM. And overpriced eggs too. Geez.

Looks delicious to me!

What aren't you liking about the vortex? I don't have one, so no idea what I'm missing.

Looks delicious to me!

What aren't you liking about the vortex? I don't have one, so no idea what I'm missing.
I don’t think it’s like or dislike. I’m thinking I get the same result on the S6 with CBs as I do the vortex. I still hold this POV.

Thanks for counting! We’re 5 now. Another kid showed up. Sundays are like that here. My kids and their friend just show up. Wings are a social food.

Going to make thin burgers tonight. Got a 4.3# chuckie at Costco this AM. And overpriced eggs too. Geez.
You mean in addition to the chicken? And posting to me? Geez is right!!!!

Are you looking for more crispy wings? I've found baking powder to be a secret ingredient.
Jim, last night DH wanted to put something on the wings but he wasn't sure which, powder or soda. Good thing he held off till he found out which one. I didn't want either so we didn't research it. Here is what I found just now, thanks to you.

Is it baking soda or baking powder that makes chicken crispy?

The secret ingredient to super crispy baked chicken wings is Baking POWDER. Please be sure to use baking powder and NOT baking SODA. In addition, make sure your baking POWDER is aluminum free. Using baking soda will give your wings an off taste, so be sure you don't mix them up.

Are you looking for more crispy wings? I've found baking powder to be a secret ingredient.
The high heat in the WSK makes perfect crispy skin. And yes, baking powder does aid in creating the micro bubbles on the skin. I’ve done so on oven baked wings and it helped a lot. These came out great. Just dunno if the vortex added any value.

Jim, last night DH wanted to put something on the wings but he wasn't sure which, powder or soda. Good thing he held off till he found out which one. I didn't want either so we didn't research it. Here is what I found just now, thanks to you.

Is it baking soda or baking powder that makes chicken crispy?

The secret ingredient to super crispy baked chicken wings is Baking POWDER. Please be sure to use baking powder and NOT baking SODA. In addition, make sure your baking POWDER is aluminum free. Using baking soda will give your wings an off taste, so be sure you don't mix them up.
Hahahaha. I used baking soda on my shrimps last night for shrimp in lobster sauce. It makes the shrimp hold a crunch instead of a squishy mouthfeel.

Baking soda is also a trick for perfect hummus. Whipped and creamy. I worked for years on my hummus recipe. It’s now done and perfect for what we like. Fluffy and like a cloud hummus. And sooooo smooth. No grit or bits in it

I was on the fence about the vortex at first but, I’ve learned to really like it for most things chicken. I will get a wild hair and decide that we need forty wings for three or four and I always seem to have leftovers! Need a fifteen year old that doesn’t have braces again and that number will need to double!
Brett, it takes a few turns to get the twist of the Vortex dialed in but, given the feasts you’ve shared, it won’t be more than one or two cooks and you will see just how well it can perform. Full disclosure, I don’t pack quite that many on on the 22 but, when there are youths to be fed that all goes out the window!

Did a quick change for the burgers. Pulled the vortex out after adding more JD so the shape is still there. My center grate doesn’t sit flush on the main grate with the vortex in place.

1668387818446.jpeg

Back