Sunday football vortex wings

8BB76217-249A-4403-89AF-2045A3DD730B.jpeg
I think,there was a “slab of cow” ready to hot the CI grate shortly after taking this picture. I allow a little space for quicker cooking at the high airflow that the Vortex provides, these went about five minutes longer than this shot. crispy skin, moist meat, what more can anyone ask?

since i don't use any Kxxxx products on anything EXCEPT LAS with deflector (that's low and slows with using the Weber WSK defelctor, not the LAS airport)
all your feedback and input is appreciated. please keep the data coming. i am a bit of a nerd when it comes to process and procedure when cooking. this is a hobby i still enjoy. and it comes with benefits, LUNCH OR DINNER!
Since you are inviting feedback, I will remark that every time you use the LAS acronym you always follow it with a somewhat lengthy description of what the acronym means, which ends up being even longer than if you would have simply just said "low and slow" and skipped the acronym altogether...or you could conform and use the L&S acronym, which is defined in Chris' glossary of grilling terms. So I attribute this to you being a rebel and non-conformist and I accept that it's just Brett being Brett, but ... every time I read that I think, "well why didn't he just say 'low and slow' instead of dragging me off down this side road again" and it kind of disrupts what you are trying to say. But you be you, I be me!

Since you are inviting feedback, I will remark that every time you use the LAS acronym you always follow it with a somewhat lengthy description of what the acronym means, which ends up being even longer than if you would have simply just said "low and slow" and skipped the acronym altogether...or you could conform and use the L&S acronym, which is defined in Chris' glossary of grilling terms. So I attribute this to you being a rebel and non-conformist and I accept that it's just Brett being Brett, but ... every time I read that I think, "well why didn't he just say 'low and slow' instead of dragging me off down this side road again" and it kind of disrupts what you are trying to say. But you be you, I be me!
becuase i prefer las versus l&s. but someone, somewhere thought it was the airport. so yes, rebel. i will just use las as i don't like l&s; becuase haf is not h&f. ty for the feedback.

@Timothy F. Lewis I agree with you, and the learnings come with experience.

edit: I didn't finish typing the second part

Lacking years of experience on the WSK, I thought I would experiment a little and take better notes so I can accelerate my learning how to best use the WSK for this type of cook.

fuel / fuel holder char baskets on lower rack of WSKVenturi on lower rack of WSK
KBB
KPro
Weber Briq's
Jealous Devil
B&B Oak Lump

I haven't used KBB in a while, but I have a few bags in the rafters along with a few bags of Kpro and Weber Briqs

What would be a good test? Light a chimney, dump it and time the temp to 500 and then cook something? I'm OK comparing ( wasting KBB) on a clean burn, mine needs it, but any cooks on the other stuff will need to be cooking food and I don't have any venturi cooks planned this week. Maybe next week.

Last edited:
@Timothy F. Lewis I agree with you and the learnings come with experience.

Another way is direct comparison.

fuel / fuel holderchar baskets on lower rack of WSKVenturi on lower rack of WSK
KBB
KPro
Weber Briq's
Jealous Devil
B&B Oak Lump

I haven't used KBB in a while, but I have a few bags in the rafters along with a few bags of Kpro and Weber Briqs

What would be a good test? Light a chimney, dump it and time the temp to 500 and then cook something? I'm OK comparing ( wasting KBB) on a clean burn, mine needs it, but any cooks on the other stuff will need to be cooking food and I don't have any venturi cooks planned this week. Maybe next week.
i still have some Cowboy briqs, B&B briqs and char logs and some Kpro. the rest is a dwindling JD stack which is on the buy list. just awaiting for it to come in to the distributor.

wings or bone in thighs are a good cook/measure. both can handle high heat and not dry out.

becuase i prefer las versus l&s. but someone, somewhere thought it was the airport. so yes, rebel. i will just use las as i don't like l&s; becuase haf is not h&f. ty for the feedback.
I think I've just created a reason to drink more wine ... LAS = a "Chevaliers du Tastevin" toast to your rebellion! That makes it fun for both of us. Carry on, Brett!

Chevaliers du Tastevin!🍷

EDIT: Oh wait, that wasn't Brett. I drank anyway.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you have a Bachelor of Arts drinking French wine while watching yesterday's LA Lakers game ? Now that is my kind of laboratory animal science.

Last edited:
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you have a Bachelor of Arts drinking French wine while watching yesterday's LA Lakers game ? Now that is my kind of laboritory animal science.
More like a Doctorate with 50 years of residency...you guys are too funny!

note, on high temps in the WSK, 45 mins is enough cooktime for wings. my 1 hour yesterday pushed the wings to their edge of happiness (moisture and crisp). I could have pulled at 45 mins and done like you show, a wet bowl saucing.

your wings featured are a nice size. where'd you buy them?

Understood on the high heat, I have lots of success on the low heat, plus since we’re usually doing them for parties, the ability to set it up for 200-ish and go get other tasks done actually comes in handy.

And I believe those are from Costco, they sell 4 pound packs, separated into six individual servings, of the first and second joint, pre-cut. Super convenient, saves a lot of prep time

And I believe those are from Costco, they sell 4 pound packs, separated into six individual servings, of the first and second joint, pre-cut. Super convenient, saves a lot of prep time
that's what i was cooking. i'm guessing they're raiding the young chicken stock out here as size has decreased becuase the restaurants are taking the bigger portions and retail is getting the small carp <sp>. i did have some feathers to pull of from this batch. and i see your time value there. i jsut set a 30 min timer once they're on the grate and proceed with other HH or kitchen chores/items for that day.

proceed with other HH or kitchen chores/items for that day.
That's another thing I always wonder about your cooks, Brett. Do you have help with the clean-up afterwards? Some of your feasts, and I mean feasts, I know you gotta be beat afterwards...hopefully, someone else does the dishes!

That's another thing I always wonder about your cooks, Brett. Do you have help with the clean-up afterwards? Some of your feasts, and I mean feasts, I know you gotta be beat afterwards...hopefully, someone else does the dishes!
i do have help. but when i do jewish holidays and such, the really large cooks, i tend to clean as i cook. it's relaxing to wash pots and pans sometimes. mindless and i can rest my brain. i try not to crap up the kitchen. i also have a good sous chef, my younger son. he knows all the recipes as most of my recipes are not documented, except when @Joan asks me to draft a recipe. without her, my kids probably wouldn't have a clue. but it's more than recipes. there's a lot of techniques. to me the techniques are equally, if not more important, than the recipe.

the jewish holiday cooks are quite hard. they take 2-3 days at various start and end points per day. i used to cook barefoot. now i have to wear shoes. gonna buy crocs chef shoes soon to reduce fatigue.

ty for asking. i hope people realize that there's a lot that goes into some of the stuff i do. i am grateful my family does help cleanup too.

Props to you, Brett. I hope you can pass your knowledge and love for heritage and tradition on to the kids. Believe me, when I see some of your cooks, I appreciate all the work that goes into it, the passion you have.

Chevaliers du Tastevin!🍷

I cooked some chicken on the E6 tonight and opted for the vortex, even though I wasn't really doing a vortex style cook.

I used about 3/4 a chimney of Weber Briquettes. I didn't realize I had an open bag in the shed so I decided to use them tonight.

there was about 4 egg sized chunks of JD XL and a few marble sized pieces leftover from the last cook.

20221119_174730.jpg

I left the lid open until it was going well

20221119_175155.jpg

Even with coal grate on the lower level, the vortex has no problem putting some flame up to grate level.

20221119_175247.jpg

I wish I had something to sear.

Spoiler alert. There is nothing to sear.
Spolier alert 2. I didn't even take pics of the food being cooked :(

20221119_175256.jpg

Cooked some boneless thighs and breasts. I had two thighs, some mac-n-cheese with medium shells and some cukes soaked in rice wine vinegar.

20221119_191640.jpg

I guess I'll just close with I think the vortex on the lower level grate is hotter than char baskets on the lower level grate.

Not a scientific test, no control, no accurate temp measurements.

It was a cool evening, mid 50s, no breeze.

Last edited:

Back