Sunday football vortex wings

What’s the definition of “crank up the temp?”

I was able to get the wings to 450° dial temp yesterday when cooking. But I can and have done that with CBs in the past.

Were my wings good? Yes

Were my wings different than in the past with just CBs? I still don’t think so.

Key point here, I am using JD on both of these cooks and from my experiences, JD burns hotter than KPro, for example.

I’m thinking a heat check is required now for KPro burning temps vs JD burning temps.

Maybe, if KPro burns cooler than JD, then yes, a vortex will concentrate the heat coming off KPro and deliver a better wing or chicken final product.

What can you KPro or KBB peeps offer up here, please? Anyone have data on burn temps?

I walked away while the grill was preheating and it got up to about 550 with the bottom vent open full. Top was down but fully open. Flames were licking out the vent holes. Pic isn't that good, but you can sort of see the flame coming out the top vent.

20221119_215027.jpg

Last edited:
I walked away while the grill was preheating and it got up to about 550 with the bottom vent open full. Top was down but fully open. Flames were licking out the vent holes. Pic isn't that good, but you can sort of see the flame coming out the top vent.

View attachment 62981
That’s afterburner mode on the WSK. Note, that rapid fire vent gets effin hot when in afterburner mode. Ask me how I know?

I use/used my vortex on the upper coal grate position. Maybe that’s why I’m still not impressed? Yes, I do stoopy things. I’m okay admitting it.

That’s afterburner mode on the WSK. Note, that rapid fire vent gets effin hot when in afterburner mode. Ask me how I know?

I use/used my vortex on the upper coal grate position. Maybe that’s why I’m still not impressed? Yes, I do stoopy things. I’m okay admitting it.
maybe I'm not using the CBs correctly. Maybe I am not using enough coal when using CBs, but so far when using CBs it isn't getting as hot as when I use the vortex, or just put coal on the lower grate.

And, a couple of cooks back, both of my CBs separated. I was moving them around when they were hot and they just came apart. I guess it is time to make a bro-n-sear out of them. Good thing I have another set of CBs

@Brett-EDH When you use CBs, is it on the upper grate? I think I've read you light coal in the CBs. Do you center them? clump them in the back? I don't feel I've got coal on the upper rack sorted out.

Last edited:
@Brett-EDH When you use CBs, is it on the upper grate? I think I've read you light coal in the CBs. Do you center them? clump them in the back? I don't feel I've got coal on the upper rack sorted out
CBs on upper deck, in a circle, in the center hole and usually with CI grate for searing. However, I used the regular Weber SS center hole for those hot and fast thin chuck burgers last week and all turned our great (no pun).

I often light the JD right in the CBs of late due to laziness and lack of personal time.

I’ve done CBs in runway mode and they also work well like that, especially when doing chicken halves or boneless skinless thighs and breasts.

I’ve also done CBs pushed to the rear and honestly, they work better in the center as a circle and cooking around them after searing first. Like my pollo asado cooks.

The only time I’m doing CBs on lower deck is when I’m using swords. This way I have enough space between food and heat so the proteins don’t burn or cook irregularly, as in done on outside and raw on inside.

I’m doing a butt tomorrow. Wish me luck. I’m going to do a rub and then apply/mop with a dark rum glaze. I’ll probably drink the rum too as I cook. It’ll keep me warm. I’m still in shorts, in sort of a protest against cold weather.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm wearing shorts and three layers of shirts. I'm in on the cold weather protest, too but it was chilly outside tonight in shorts.

Ive been using CBs on the upper deck in the back or at 10 and 2. I think I need more coal.

Back