Steak splurge

What do you want when you want to splurge on a steak for the grill? I'm not talking mail order prime, but what do you ask your butcher to cut special for you? A bone-in ribeye? A porterhouse?

I've got three days on my own and planning on a great steak night to go with a beautifully aged bottle of CA Cabernet. Not sure what I should ask the butcher to cut for me.

And then, how do you prepare it? Simple salt and pepper, or do you go complex on your rub. Give me your best!

Thanks,
Bill

i would a big arss bone in ribeye with just salt and pepper. Instead of the wine it would be beers for me. Have fun!!

I look for a nice t-bone. One that is about an inch and a half thick. This thick allows me to get a nice sear and still a medium rare center. My favorite is a 25oz that sometimes is on sale for $10 each.

Good luck,
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
i would a big arss bone in ribeye with just salt and pepper. Instead of the wine it would be beers for me. Have fun!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big arse ribeye is right. A nice, bone-in, cowboy steak. 24 oz.

Take a tad of that cabernet and marry it with some shrooms 'n garlic. That's it. I'm comin' over, Bill.

Steaks sure! But if your butcher have well marbeld pork chops center cut @ around 2" Thick. Get it my friend! To me chops was after work food...But after my butcher gave me some really good chops its almost better then a steak.(almost)

Wolgast,

I grilled 1.5 inch bone-in pork chops last Saturday, rubbed with Oak Ridge BBQ Santa Maria Steak seasoning. I said exactly the same thing to my wife, “these are almost as good as a t-bone”. I will definitely be grilling them again soon.

HerbS

I'm with Corey and Hayden....Nothin' better then a bone in ribeye! Salt and Pepper that sucker up and once seared, slap a slab of unsalted butter on top. I usually make some homemade cheesy au gratin potatoes and a side of grilled asparagus with steaks. You are right on with the cabernet too!

Rib eyes for sure. A little EVOO, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Saute some garlic, red wine, onion and mushrooms the add a little sour cream and top the steaks with that. Don't forget a few shrimp wrapped in foil with butter and garlic on the grill for a few minutes. What time do we eat?

Ok, despite the pleas for ribeyes, I couldn't resist the porterhouse when I got to the store. I ended up with a beautiful 2" thick USDA choice dry-aged porterhouse weighing in at 2.5 lbs, along with some nice mushrooms.

I asked the butcher at Byerly's to cut it special for me. Those in MN know what kind of a treat I have coming. I'm cooking tomorrow night, and will post some sweet pics later.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tonight, all the family is still around, including my sister-in-law and her family, and I'm doing pork tenderloins (one of which will be stuffed with spinach, manchengo and roasted red peppers per Cook's Illustrated's latest issue). Hopefully it will be good, too.

But the steak is reserved for just me, and though too big for one night, the leftovers should make some pretty tasty steak sandwiches. Yummmmmmmmmm!

Thanks,
Bill

When I want to splurge, it has to be grass fed beef. Generally I prefer a Porterhouse. Nothing like getting two steaks for the price of one!

Now that's what I'm talking about! My fav. is a ribeye with a couple of slices of Worchestersire butter. Don't get any better than that.

Enjoy your side of beef. Doing a few steaks tonight myself; two NY's and one boneless ribeye (rib eye is mine).

Ok, here are all the pics from the cook. It was pretty darn good, but maybe a bit over done; pushing medium rather than medium rare.

I did the reverse sear, heating the steak to 95 degrees in a 275 oven before taking it to a hot grill for a total of 6 minutes.

I think next time I will stop at 90 degrees and maybe sear a bit hotter to preserve the medium rare character. Nevertheless it was quite the treat!

Bill

http://gallery.me.com/william....iew=carouseljs&sel=0

TRI TIP!
or
HANGER STEAK!

and buy a fine Chilean Carmenere.

finish dinner with a cool glass of Knob Creek.

Tri Tip like Jim said, but cut into 1-1/2" thick steaks and cooked like a steak. Season with a mix of granulated garlic, onion powder, and celery salt. Your Porterhouse looked great!

Nice job on the steak William, and great call on the Porter house, my choice as well. Kosher salt, ground black pepper,olive oil, and a bottle of Barolo fontanafredda.

The best steak I have ever eaten was grilled at my house recently by my oldest son. He used the Cook's Country method with some nice 1 1/4"-1 1/2" rib steaks. The "method" is to use salt and cornstarch, then put the room temperature steaks in the freezer for 30-60 minutes just before grilling. The salt and cornstarch dehydrates the surface of the steak allowing a perfect crust and the cooled interior preserves the "medium rare" with the slightly extended time on the grill. Pepper is added after removing from the freezer just before grilling.

Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold and 18.5 One Touch Silver

Dale53

Back