Steak and Bread for #4

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So #4, Daughter, is leaving Sunday for Spain to do a semester there and I have been making requests the past few days. It was Steak and Garlic Mashed which is her favorite tonight. And she has fallen in love with my Bread, so I made her the Pain De Campagne. Here is how it went.
Boneless Choice Rib Eyes coming to room temp with Montreal Steak seasoning.

DSC03182_zps9inuwmzl.jpg

Seared first then indirect on the OTG with lump/Stubbs mix.

DSC03183_zpsxkws1oql.jpg

Shrooms in butter and EVOO, Kosher and fresh Ground in the CI

DSC03185_zpsk4gswauf.jpg

Potatoes mashed done in the stove inside, a nice salad. Such a great meal anytime

DSC03185_zpsk4gswauf.jpg

DSC03187_zpsjaom6hem.jpg

DSC03189_zpsmz7wbbx0.jpg

Thought some of you Guy's and Gal's would enjoy the process on the bread so here it is.

The initial starter, about 200 grams

DSC03179_zpsmiuzptxd.jpg

Fed at noon the day before left to blossom over night at room temp. Turned into this, the Levain

DSC03178_zpsswxa69ep.jpg

Final dough mixed in the morning with the the Levain added and left to rise for about eight hours, tripled in size

DSC03191_zpsp3rvwmhj.jpg

Divided, and shaped and put into proofing baskets.

DSC03193_zpsxueu7icz.jpg

Put in the fridge over night in plastic bags, this is what it looks like in the morning after a slow overnight ferment

DSC03196_zpso2xlgp6j.jpg

In the Dutch Ovens at 475 for half an hour, then about fifteen minutes uncovered

DSC03198_zpsxssbjabf.jpg

DSC03197_zps9bre6l1p.jpg

DSC03199_zpszrdupdfq.jpg

The most delicious bread I have ever eaten

DSC03201_zpsjfxxmrrw.jpg

Congrats to #4 on the trip to Spain and what an awesome dinner to send her off with. Fantastic job Bill.

Congrats to your daughter, that will be an experience she will never forget. That dinner was a perfect send off and that "French Country Bread" looks outstanding. We're on day two of our starter, can't wait to do some bread.

Meal looks fantastic Bill, I really liked your bread procedure illustrated. I have graduated from a bread machine and am now trying out new online recipes, I'll have to find this one online and give it a try!!

Bill, that is one outstanding cook. The steaks and those mushrooms look so delicious. Plate is outstanding. Really focused on the pic's of your bread and the process. That shot of the Levain is my favorite. When it looks like that, you know you're on your way to a winner.

That bread looks soooo delicious ! As do the Rib Eyes !
Wishing you daughter much enjoyment abroad.

Bill, nice work! My dad used to take special requests when we came home or left from college. I remember that fondly, and bet your kids will, too! Steaks look great, as does the Pain de Campagne! Looks like your starter is strong and healthy!

Cliff, I'm not Bill, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night..... ;) I got my proofing baskets on-line from Amazon. I'm pretty sure they are Masterproofing brand, and they've worked out quite well for me. I flour them well with a 50/50 mix of WW and rice flour, and am able to keep my higher hydration doughs from sticking to the baskets.

Bill, that's a very nice send off to your daughter. You are one cool dad. Great post from beginning to the very end.

Beautiful meal and another beautiful loaf. I've got to get that Forkish book.

Nice! Family time around a fabulously-looking meal. I hope you had a good time and g'luck to your daughter.

Back