Starter Cubes

i just use cubes and no chimney when starting up my WSM or E6 for smoking. Otherwise I use a small and/or large chimney.

I use bacon grease, or any leftover grease, a 1/2 teaspoons worth into old napkins or junk mail, usually around 3 of these, as my starter cubes. If using a chimney, they go underneath and if smoking in my E6, just in a small area of the coals already in the E6. Works perfectly every time.

my preferred method today is weber cubes under the chimney, Ive also used paper/junk mail- propane torch with the chimney ....I dont think you will get a fire going trying to light a coal without a torch or some other fuel

Putting it on top won’t be too efficient, you kind of want the heat to rise so the cube as complete combustion at the base of the charcoal. It’s a little like trying to boil water with the top burner on high and the kettle in the oven. The heat isn’t where it needs to be.
You are talking about kettle ignition right? On the WSM if you want to use a cube, I stick it on the bottom near one of the holes and light it through that. “Bingo, sidewinder!” But, I just use a torch and drink a few swallows of coffee or Bourbon depending on when I am starting. Morning ignition, coffee... Overnight smoke, bourbon!🤔

Been using the wiener cubes for years, no issue with taste at all
Dollar general had the tumbleweeds on clearance, grabbed a couple boxes and they work really good too, no smell, for those concerned about the weber cubes.

Maybe I'm "old school" but I have always used crumpled newspaper and never had a problem. Full chimney takes about 20 minutes to light..
Supermarket flyers works well if you can't find a newspaper these days.

I've said elsewhere that I decided to finally try the Weber cubes, but don't think they're worth bothering with. 2-3 half sheets of paper towel and a teaspoon of canola oil are fine and, to me, better. Free Weber cubes to anyone who can find me... 😁

Instead of using starter cubes in the chimney starter, does anyone just light some on top of the unlit charcoal?
Thanks.
I'm sorry Jeff, but why would you put starter cubes on top of unlit charcoal? Shirley you would put them underneath unlit charcoal.
Or have I misinterpreted your post?

I'm sorry Jeff, but why would you put starter cubes on top of unlit charcoal? Shirley you would put them underneath unlit charcoal.
Or have I misinterpreted your post?
Tony,
I filed the charcoal chamber with briquettes and chunks of smoking wood and then lit 3 starter cubes in the center on Memorial Day. It worked out very well. I’m going to use the natural fire sticks next time.

If your coals are in a nice tight pile with good airflow, really no need for the chimney. Especially if you are doing low/slow and only need to light a small amount of coals

Here's the lighting directions, for example, from SNS.

Chimney on the side burner of my gasser. No muss no fuss.
Be sure to keep the chimney on top of the cook grate. I tried to go faster by removing the grate and setting the chimney down over the flame orifice -- the heat of the charcoal absolutely destroyed the orifice. Weber replaced it, but never again.

Back