Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I went to see it tonight and I really enjoyed it! We drove an hour to the city to see it in a decent theater. Before I go any further, if you are a fan of the series I suggest going to see it ASAP. It's going to be hard to live in a bubble and not have major plot spoilers cross your path.

I'm old enough that I have seen all episodes new in theater. 4-5 blew my mind, 5 is still my favorite so far (4,5,6 was the originally released trilogy, this one is 7). IMO I was very disappointed with episodes 1,2,3. It was neither the plot or scenes per se but some of the dialogue, some ridiculous bordering on offensive characters (yes I'm talking about you, Gungans) and I think direction was awful. As such I don't really blame any of the actors but thank the force for Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor and a few other actors who saved those shows from being truly awful.

I have to say I was initially mortified to learn Disney had bought the Star Wars rights from George Lucas and I joked the next Star Wars movie would follow the Disney cartoon movie formula ... an orphan girl with an exceptionally good singing voice while fighting some sort of oppression would break into song sporadically throughout the movie and find true love in the end.

While two new characters introduced are indeed orphans you will be relieved to know this was not a musical. There is no singing and there are no legions of Can-Can dancing Storm Troopers in this movie. I wasn't far off the mark though, in Disney fashion they stuck to tried and true. Don't look for mind blowing story innovation propelling the series forward here. I can only hope they treated this one gingerly but will try to take the series where no Star Wars has gone before in the next movies.

One reason for my optimism is that Storm Troopers are much more menacing in this movie. They must have watched many re-runs on cable because they are now equipped to deal with light sabre wielding Jedi and their blaster accuracy has improved dramatically.

In previous movies the Storm Trooper who barely grazed Leia in the shoulder must have been the greatest marksman in the history of all Storm Troopers. *;D

Taking the family Tuesday afternoon! Watched Episodes 2-4 yesterday!! (was home sick) 5 and 6 coming shortly. :D

I keep shaking my head over this. I was the same age as my oldest when the first one came out and I remember my dad taking all of us to the theater. He was so fired up. :)

I think the news just said it's already surpassed $300M and it only Saturday morning. But then some of that could be pre-sales for viewing later in the weekend. I'm hearing great things about the movie, I hear it's much more like the traditional Star Wars, not the recent Star Wars. I think Christmas day is the only chance to see it here, and then the next chance is after the 1st of the year. I suspect it will be mid January before I get to see it, I doubt I can talk my bride into going Christmas day :)

I saw it on Sunday. Loved it. I already want to see it again.

It has the voice and charm of the original trilogy, and introduces new characters you actually give a crap about.

I've been interested in mountain men most of my life, and have read about Hugh Glass many times.
The Revenant is the first movie I've wanted to attend in ages.
My son and I plan to go next month,

yeah I liked it, bring your reading glasses, good amount of subtitles, bear scene everyone was talking about was cool

We're going to the 5 PM showing today to see the 3-D Imax version. I was hoping everyone else would stay home for Christmas dinner but I may be wrong. :)

Back