SRF shoulder

GaryP

TVWBB Pro
Last year my FIL sent me a whole shoulder from SRF. Being as I don't know/like enough people to cook this for, I figured I'd fire it up now that they are here. For a month. An entire month. All. Friggin. Month.

Anyway, it's on the pellet pooper for an overnight ride at about 210 and I'll check it and adjust in the morning. A light trim and rubbed heavy with season salt and pepper. I want to keep it pretty neutral as there will be so much left over to use for other dishes. I'll post some updates as it rolls along. I've never done a whole shoulder so wish me luck! IMG20240301181234.jpgIMG20240301194343.jpg

I buy SRF double cut Kurobuta pork rib chops from my local Albertson’s on special order. Easy when SRF is in the state you live. When it’s grilled, it’s one of the best pork tastes I’ve ever had in my mouth, barring competition ribs from Jim Minion and from Vince C. from Rhythm ‘n Que (both tied for the best ribs I ever ate and as a KCBS Judge and former Rep., I ate more ribs than even I can imagine and those two still stand out in my mind).

I bet this is shoulder is going to great and not only that, but great in many, many preparations.

BTW, if you keep feeding your guests like that, a month visit might become two or three!

Last year my FIL sent me a whole shoulder from SRF. Being as I don't know/like enough people to cook this for, I figured I'd fire it up now that they are here. For a month. An entire month. All. Friggin. Month.

Anyway, it's on the pellet pooper for an overnight ride at about 210 and I'll check it and adjust in the morning. A light trim and rubbed heavy with season salt and pepper. I want to keep it pretty neutral as there will be so much left over to use for other dishes. I'll post some updates as it rolls along. I've never done a whole shoulder so wish me luck! View attachment 87169View attachment 87170
Looks great Chuck!

Good idea going with seasoning that's neutral. That opens the door to a wide variety of tasty dishes from leftovers. Looks like your vacuum sealer will be getting a workout :)

So it was done at about 1130. Pulled off and in the cambro til I started pulling it at 430. For just a basic season salt and pepper rub. It came out really nice. Pulled when it was tender, temping 195-203. Did not wrap. The wife and I just got done packaging the leftovers in vac bags. 15 12oz portions going into the freezer 🤣. So we should be set for a while. Going to give some to friends, maybe make some new ones? But I'm glad I kept the rub simple. It really let the flavor of the pork shine. Hope everyone had a great day. IMG20240302115630.jpgIMG20240302173220.jpg

Back