Spirit II (Natural Gas) grill won't sear.... (warning: Manifesto!)

Here‘s tonight’s flank steak, fully cooked 2 zone front sear on the Genesis with GrillGrates on the direct side (I do have an extra sear burner on top of more BTUs on the main and I’m LP. Just throwing out the disclaimers since I’m not offering you any promises, just options you could try.
Appreciate the advice Shane,
That flank steak pic is seriously good enough to make my GF want to try a flank steak (and she's a filet mignon girl all the way!)

Rob,
We sure would have liked to have given you a complete and easy fix, but I hope that we have at least been a good source of ideas.

I think it comes down in part to Weber being cautious about how many BTUs they throw at your food. One fix that wasn't mentioned is that you COULD replace the orifices with ones with slightly larger openings. You would get more heat then, for sure. The problem - and it is a big one - is that doing so would probably NOT BE SAFE AT ALL, 😱🧑‍🚒🔥 because Weber didn't design that grill to be able to handle that kind of heat.

Since, like me, you enjoy car analogies, if you return you can get a laugh out of my crazy "The Judge" grill where I recklessly disregarded these cautions to make my very own "muscle grill!" :cool: If you don't want to read all of it, jump to page three:

Thanks Jon!
I love The Judge story.
That pic of the burner at warp 9 reminded me of the sun's corona at full eclipse!

I understand the disclaimer(s), and fully appreciate John Burns' urging caution - in this litigious society. ESPECIALLY considering their products are designed to create flame, reach 600-700 degrees (enough to cause burns in the 5th magnitude), and have actual explosive potential (though mine won't sear meat).
1662125523098.png

Another tan meat night...
Though this one is a litle better than the last pork tenderloin - Once the inside was up to temp, the outside looked like this. Couldn't leave it on the grill any longer.
This was cooked after heating the grill to max for almost 20 minutes, having the grate lowered onto the flavorater bars, and the dry meat centered lengthwise over the center burner for hopefully maximum cooking effect.

So, whilst I got a partial sear, mostly - it's still tan meat.B02A4E46-FAA0-41D2-AE87-70B94A307223.jpeg

9BAA4928-8D79-48DF-8F64-2F20CAED19ED.jpeg
It does indeed look like the only way I can get a sear out of this grill is to go griddle.

That's a shame. I find it really easy to get a solid sear on my steaks and chops with my Weber gas grill. No trick to it, just get the grill really hot with all 3 burners to around 500, turn the right burner off and toss the steaks on right over the left burner and close the lid. When the aroma of the smoke is right I flip the steaks for just a few minutes and it's time to eat. Nice brown, thin crust. This is for rare or medium rare ribeyes. That tenderloin, I would cook the same way then roll it over to the right and leave only the left burner on.

It does indeed look like the only way I can get a sear out of this grill is to go griddle.

Rob -- GrillGrates will fix your issues and make you love your grill. Compare my pork chop dinner last night to your gray pork loin. We pretty much have the same grill.

GGs are 30% off today for Labor Day.

A full set for your grill (4.5 panels) will run you $119. Or just start off with two 17.375 panels for $58. Which will give you a nice sear zone.

It will be a lot cheaper and easier than returning your grill (which may not even still be possible at this point) and then buying a more expensive grill with a sear burner.

Happy Labor Day.

Attachments

• gg pork chops.jpg
    gg pork chops.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 12
Then explain how I get great results without going through all this. And my Genesis doesn't even get as hot as that Spirit does. Mine pretty much tops out at just under 500 on the hood therm and I have checked it for accuracy so I am confident in what I have.

As a lifelong charcoal user (who's searching the used market for a gasser) I certainly learned a lot from this
The issue is not whether one type is "not good" while another "is". Charcoal fires heat in 2 different ways. Where as gas grill heats one way basically (unless it's an IR type grill/burner). So no matter how hot you make it, how many gimmicks you install in it, you will never achieve the same result as a charcoal user. Or an IR burner.

I cooked some days ago some striploin in my spirit II 3 burners lp. To me works pretty good would be this ok for you??? Just wondering

Attachments

• 16B5AC9D-972B-4D05-B8EA-A57F4B9EC1DA.jpeg
    16B5AC9D-972B-4D05-B8EA-A57F4B9EC1DA.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 17
I cooked some days ago some striploin in my spirit II 3 burners lp. To me works pretty good would be this ok for you??? Just wondering
I see some browning, but I wouldn't be happy with the results. Was that done with the lid up or down?

Imo, Weber Q's do a pretty good job searing steaks, while also minimizing flare ups.

Last edited:
I see some browning, but I wouldn't be happy with the results. Was that done with the lid up or down?

Imo, Weber Q's do a pretty good job searing steaks, while also minimizing flare ups.
I had a Weber Q for a couple years (Back in 2010-2012). I needed a smaller grill due to being newly single and limited space on the deck. I'm with you, A - it grilled like a champ.

SO, gentlemen - and the occasional lady... This saga is likely coming to a close next week. After Thursday, I won't be grilling on the 2022 Weber Spirit II any longer.

More to follow, once it happens...

Back