Spatchcock turkey?

Riki Barulich

TVWBB Member
I'm going to smoke a turkey this weekend. I've done many many turkeys on the wsm but never spactchcock. What is everyone's thoughts on smoking a turkey, spatchcock or not?

*ALWAYS* spatchcocked, quartered, or otherwise broken down. Smoke bone side down, it'll cook in less than half the time, and give you a more even result. This applies to pretty much any dry method, IMO, like smoking, baking, roasting, grilling, broiling, etc. The only thing I give up is the Norman Rockwell presentation, and I'm fine with that.

About the only time I'll leave it whole is if I'm deep frying it.

Spatcock and also broken down. Broken down let's you use top and bottom rack if desired. Also let's you start and pull the parts at different times.

Which is very helpful since the dark and white meat need to be cooked to different temps.

Spatcock and also broken down. Broken down let's you use top and bottom rack if desired. Also let's you start and pull the parts at different times.

Which is very helpful since the dark and white meat need to be cooked to different temps.

This ^^^. I spatchcocked our turkey at Thanksgiving and it turned out great, but next time I'm going to break it down more for the reasons Jim mentioned.

Another +1 for spatchcocking the turkey (and chicken) and cooked on the smoker. Chris's link above explains it perfectly. My wife wont let me cook turkeys any other way.

Back