Something new....Peruvian Chicken

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I made a new (to me) recipe tonight, Peruvian Chicken from Serious Eats. It's not often that I'm wowed by a chicken dish, this one was packed full of flavor, and intensely so......best part, ridiculously easy to make! I made this with some thighs, because that's what I had, whipped up the marinade/paste, and let the thighs nap in the fridge for about 6 hours or so. Made up the "green sauce" at the same time, and left that in the fridge until we were ready to eat. I used the pellet grill set up at 425F, went 7 mins per side on the regular grates, then 6 minutes per side on the GrillGrates for some sear action. The flavors of the paste pop through incredibly well, with a good crisp of the skin, and the sauce......oh, man, the sauce adds this super spicy, freshly herbaceous note to the chicken.....it's amazing! The only thing I would change is to cut the salt in the marinade/paste in half. Other than that, this goes in the DO AGAIN file for sure! Give it a try!

Thighs rubbed up with the paste, ready for a nap:

IMG_7344.jpeg

Just about done:

IMG_7347.jpeg

Off the grill for a short rest:

IMG_7349.jpeg

Served up with the sauce for dipping, and some roasted, curried cauliflower:

IMG_7350.jpeg

Rich,
That looks great! Peruvian Chicken is my favorite chicken dish to grill. I have bookmarked the recipe you made here, have to give it a try.

Rich,
That looks great! Peruvian Chicken is my favorite chicken dish to grill. I have bookmarked the recipe you made here, have to give it a try.
If you make it, Michael, let me know what you think. I honestly know very little about Peruvian food (despite both of my in-laws spending a decade apiece in Peru), so I'm not even sure what makes this "Peruvian" (or if someone from Peru would recognize it as a dish of their country/culture.) I'm planning to do a bit of reading about the cuisine of Peru, so, in addition to a very tasty meal, I'll get to learn a bit, too. :)

R

If you make it, Michael, let me know what you think. I honestly know very little about Peruvian food (despite both of my in-laws spending a decade apiece in Peru), so I'm not even sure what makes this "Peruvian" (or if someone from Peru would recognize it as a dish of their country/culture.) I'm planning to do a bit of reading about the cuisine of Peru, so, in addition to a very tasty meal, I'll get to learn a bit, too. :)

R
Here on the east coast charbroiled Peruvian Chicken restaurants are around here and there. They are some of my favorite spots to hit for lunch.
So when I started making it I used this recipe, good, simple, and had everything in the pantry.
https://www.feastingathome.com/grilled-peruvian-chicken-with-green-sauce/
Then after advice from Jim here I moved to this recipe and it is way better and very close to what I get at the restaurants. Had to get the two new to me ingredients from Amazon, but it was worth it.
With both these recipes it makes a paste that you let the chicken in for as many hours you can wait. Make sure to get great char and enjoy! I did it once with the vortex and it was good, but it didn't get the char and it was missing something.
I love trying a few different recipes, then mixing a few to make my perfect personal version. I like the look of the recipe you used and want to make it and compare it to the other two.

Chicken looks great, Rich! I love Peruvian chicken and will definitely give this one a try.

I’ve done the Raichlen rotisserie version several times and really love it! I make extra sauce so I can use it for chicken salad with any leftovers, nicely spicy. Time to do it again!

Okay, I'm not much for experimenting with unknown ingredients, but that sounds so good and I'm getting burned out on everyday grilling recipes for chicken. So I'm in on this one, if Barbs game.
Thanks for sharing the recipe Rich

Okay, I'm not much for experimenting with unknown ingredients, but that sounds so good and I'm getting burned out on everyday grilling recipes for chicken. So I'm in on this one, if Barbs game.
Thanks for sharing the recipe Rich
Hey, Rich! If you want to make it simpler, skip the aji amarillo paste. I did, so I didn't miss it (never having eaten any Peruvian aji peppers before....) You could always add a bit of whatever chile powder you have on hand, or some cayenne for heat if you like. There was no lack of flavor from me leaving that ingredient out (and I think in the recipe note, it is suggested that you can omit it if you can't find it.)

I love Peruvian chicken and I really think you need marinate it 24-48 hours and use the rotisserie to have it come out perfect. I did this on a Ronco set it and forget it oven. I then did it on the Summit while I had one. I will post the recipe if anyone wants to try it. I will have to make the green sauce you linked to though.

Attachments

I love Peruvian chicken and I really think you need marinate it 24-48 hours and use the rotisserie to have it come out perfect. I did this on a Ronco set it and forget it oven. I then did it on the Summit while I had one. I will post the recipe if anyone wants to try it. I will have to make the green sauce you linked to though.
Thanks for the recipe, Joe, looks good! I would have marinated longer, but, hey, sometimes ya just gotta go with the time you have available! :) ...and, since I was using up chicken thighs I had on hand, the rotisserie was out, too. Now that I have cooked this one, though, I definitely plan to do it again, and I would try to stay more true to the recipe as written (minus half the salt) with a whole chicken plus the rotisserie!

Man, my mother in law used the heck out of her Showtime rotisserie oven for about 2 years......I think she must have forgotten where she put it. It actually made some good stuff! :)

R

Back