Something I noticed

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So here is something I am seeing and not sure if this is pellet related or just the "way it is" type of thing. Seems all the pellet grills have this weird "grid" in their hopper. No clue what it's for, but with it in place you cannot "move" the pellets in the hopper around. So while doing a little longer cook they begin to "empty" near where the auger is but more don't move into place to fill the void. Is this a design thing or related to different pellet "quality" behavior? Should I try different pellets? Does it really need that "grid" in there?
1662908198768.jpeg

That’s to keep you from sticking your finger on the auger. Can you remove it? Gen 1 SmokeFire’s had a much lower one, we pulled them.

When I had my Traeger I removed the screws, removed the guard, then reinserted the screws and rested the guard on top of the screws. I'm guessing when I say it may be common to experience a void among some units.

I had that grid on my Camp Chef. Like Bruno said, it's a finger guard. Company lawyers like finger guards. I took mine out of the Camp Chef when I got it home and then waxed the floor and walls of the pellet hopper with Johnson's Paste Wax. Car polish does the same job. The Smokefire gets pellet bridging because of the narrow hopper. Side pellet hoppers get the "cone of death" as pellets feed down into the auger. My RecTec was my first pellet grill and it flamed out with over 5 lbs. of pellets in the hopper and a big empty cone in the middle. That was an AH HAH moment.

Did the same thing on my crazy Landmann pellet kettle. My older Recteq doesn’t have that, but I bet the new ones do.

Well out it came! I now have to figure out a different way to store my temp probes though.
Probably not a bad thing...I didn't think it was a good idea to keep them there in the first place. I keep mine stuck to the side with a magnetic spool (I printed mine but these are similar).

1663009336949.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I have noticed is indicated temps don't really show temp at the grate (at least middle level grate). While the internal probe agree and a ThermoPro probe agree at ambient temps, while "underway" at middle of the mid grate it's about 40 deg cooler than the "control probe" down low on the right hand side of the cook box. Don't know how big a deal it is or isn't. I have seen some critics wringing their hands over this. IDK if it's a big deal. Hell, my POJ LG gas range cannot even hold + or - 50!
Anyway not a critique just an observation

Another thing I have noticed is indicated temps don't really show temp at the grate (at least middle level grate). While the internal probe agree and a ThermoPro probe agree at ambient temps, while "underway" at middle of the mid grate it's about 40 deg cooler than the "control probe" down low on the right hand side of the cook box. Don't know how big a deal it is or isn't. I have seen some critics wringing their hands over this. IDK if it's a big deal. Hell, my POJ LG gas range cannot even hold + or - 50!
Anyway not a critique just an observation
I've only checked the center rear of the middle grate and on mine it reads about 20F cooler than the controller display. I agree, it's not a big deal, every oven has its own characteristics, but like a lot of people, I've gotten into the habit of monitoring temperature where I'm actually cooking. I think it's a good practice and along with monitoring food temps, can help minimize surprises.

One thing about the RTD probes that our ovens use...they work via resistance, and any kind of corrosion or weak connection can affect the reading. There are some problems with the probes/temp readings or so I gather from reading the Q&A at Sam's.

I bought the TP829 ThermoPro remote 4 probe thermometer. I checked and did not see any real difference at outdoor ambient temps. So, I am just chalking up the difference to the new probe being in the center of the middle grate and the built in one being on the wall of the chamber nearest the fire pot. and off to the side where heat can well up and escape around the diffusion plate. Maybe I will put a probe in that same spot and compare the 2, but meh, 20 to 40 deg in the overall scheme of things does not mean much. It's BBQ not science

When I had my Traeger I removed the screws, removed the guard, then reinserted the screws and rested the guard on top of the screws. I'm guessing when I say it may be common to experience a void among some units.

I did the same on my pit boss. The guard was held on with four screws. i removed, and re-inserted two so the guard would rest on them.

I found it was easier to scoop out pellets when I was changing the flavor than dumping them out the chute on the back.

Larry, I use a Thermoworks smoke to monitor mine and it has 20+ variances with the built-in probe also. I tend to watch the TWs temp more than the CCs temp. Also, after many cooks it hasn't been an issue it averages out.

Probably not a bad thing...I didn't think it was a good idea to keep them there in the first place. I keep mine stuck to the side with a magnetic spool (I printed mine but these are similar).

View attachment 59311

Love those probe holders. Thanks for posting.

@Bryan Mayland over in the HeaterMeter forum designed and posted some nice ones that snap together for anyone with access to a 3D printer (thanks, Bryan!).

We were at a local store this morning (Ralphs) and they had these RO 100% Charcoal pellets clearance priced at $9.99/20lb. bag. These pellets are supposed to be nearly waterproof and contain 40% more potential heat energy than an ordinary pellet. I wonder if mixing these with pellets that no longer produce as much heat would be an option?

1663100699192.png

I agree...I'm going to try 5 to 1 and see what happens. I already have a problem with the Sam's pellets running at about 550F when the controller is set to 500 and being unable to get the temps below 199F (before cleaning the probe...I haven't checked it since then). I see that there are Charwood pellets that combine charcoal and a hardwood in a single pellet available as well.

Back