Something I noticed

I agree...I'm going to try 5 to 1 and see what happens. I already have a problem with the Sam's pellets running at about 550F when the controller is set to 500 and being unable to get the temps below 199F (before cleaning the probe...I haven't checked it since then). I see that there are Charwood pellets that combine charcoal and a hardwood in a single pellet available as well.
Hmmm, not having any issues at all. Once I figgered out that P1, P2, P3 thing. I have been able to get it to run consistently at 170. Have not set 500 yet but 475 and it stays rock solid give or take 10 deg. That is on Sam's Pellets. I noticed pellets from Char Griller at Menards yesterday and noticed them being much shinier and longer than the Sam's ones. So IDK, LOL I bought 120lbs of pellets at Sams, they seem to work well so I don't think I will bother doing trial and error.
I found some Char Griller brand grease cups at Menards but they're not the exact size for the MM one we have. But, I did find a way to jury rig them in there for now. Would like to find an exact type though

Hmmm, not having any issues at all. Once I figgered out that P1, P2, P3 thing. I have been able to get it to run consistently at 170. Have not set 500 yet but 475 and it stays rock solid give or take 10 deg. That is on Sam's Pellets. I noticed pellets from Char Griller at Menards yesterday and noticed them being much shinier and longer than the Sam's ones. So IDK, LOL I bought 120lbs of pellets at Sams, they seem to work well so I don't think I will bother doing trial and error.
I found some Char Griller brand grease cups at Menards but they're not the exact size for the MM one we have. But, I did find a way to jury rig them in there for now. Would like to find an exact type though
Yeah, you should be fixed for pellets for awhile...from what I have read, these pellet poopers are very economical with pellets, much more so than any other fuel used in outdoor cooking. It may be all hype, I dunno, time will tell. I've got some Lumberjack Oak pellets that I've been using in a smoke tube in the gasser (a disappointment) and I am going to run some through the pooper, see if I can taste anything. I also bought a bag of Sam's...the reviews I've read have been positive and the price is good, I think.

The pellet discussion got me to thinkin' and doing a little (well quite a bit) of research. From what I am finding out, the ones they sell at Sam's (Smokehouse brand) really are "da bomb" from what more experienced users recommend. No additives, oils, etc, clean burning, nothing over powering. Went on their web site and found them sold out of everything. Honestly? I'm gonna pick up another 3 or 4 bags today at Sam's! Everything I'm reading points to these being a really great all around pellet.

Sounds like you found a great option, Larry. I have seen them at my Sam’s but never took the time to research like you have. Without that, I was a little wary - not that I need anymore pellets right now!

My top three would be Lumberjack, Knotty Wood and SmokinPellets.com. Bear Mountain and Kingsford are also good. Most or all of those would pass your specs, but some are a LOT pricier than the ones from Sam’s. I guess I will have to try them eventually and maybe revise my list, including looking at the overall value.

They (Smokehouse) have a great pedigree, affiliated with Bear Mountain and Little Chief.

Last edited:
They (Smokehouse) have a great pedigree, affiliated with Bear Mountain and Little Chief.

40 pounds for 15 bucks is hard to beat. I don't think my Sam's has more than one or two varieties. I wish they had Apple.

Well, I got 3 more bags. At $14.98 for 40# can't seem to go wrong. And I like there is nothing but actual wood. No fillers, oils or anything. They don't leave a lot of deposits in the smoker either. Got a slab of wild Alaskan salmon to do on it tonight as well. I'm tasting it already YUM. I like the fact they're a blend. All my favorite woods BTW, they smell great and give a really nice smoke flavor

Well, this time things went slower than expected LOL. Wild salmon is so "fragile" and unforgiving I decided not to use much in the way of heat. So I kept it at P3 Smoke setting and it was holding solid 170ish deg. So the fish took a bit. But, was quite good. I think I would have done better had I bought the Norwegian organic salmon instead. It's fattier and more forgiving so much easier to cook. In any case my efforts paid off. Did this on the middle rack
1663243829187.jpeg

I continue to have problems with being unable to reach temps below about 240F. I've checked the sensor and verified that it is reporting an accurate temperature. CS is sending out a new digital controller.

EDIT: I just received confirmation on the DC order, covered under warranty, but the list price on the controller is $28...I thought it would be more than that.

1663280003163.png

I hope you get it worked out. It's a great little grill
I agree. Everything we have cooked on it tastes great! My wife highly approves so that's a winner in my book. It's still usable...I use a temp probe on the grate near the food to set the temp, which I would probably do anyway. And I get a ton of smoke between 215F and 240F, which is about where it swings after an hour on P3 setting.

I went to my Sam’s tonight. No pellet grills left, but they have the $14.98 pellets. One flavor-the blend you got Larry. I didn’t need any right now. However, I did bring home a bag of the “Good Charcoal Company” lump charcoal marked down from like $17 to $5.91. I am going to try soon in my CharQ to see if they are worth stocking up. It uses acacia wood. If I remember my passages in Exodus correctly, I believe that is what the Ark of the Covenant was made out of (then covered with gold).

I went to my Sam’s tonight. No pellet grills left, but they have the $14.98 pellets. One flavor-the blend you got Larry. I didn’t need any right now. However, I did bring home a bag of the “Good Charcoal Company” lump charcoal marked down from like $17 to $5.91. I am going to try soon in my CharQ to see if they are worth stocking up. It uses acacia wood. If I remember my passages in Exodus correctly, I believe that is what the Ark of the Covenant was made out of (then covered with gold).
I bought 2 bags of the Good Charcoal Company lump. Fairly strong chemical smell that never fully cleared or burned clean. Even after a shower I could still smell it. I hope my bags were just from a bad spot in the fire house. But it’s obvious they they start their burn process with a petroleum product.

Glad I only bought one bag then! I will report back on what mine turns out like😲.
Maybe it wasn't the charcoal making a "pleasing aroma to God?" They sell another type of lump there https://www.samsclub.com/p/frontier-charcoal-lump-charcoal-30lb/prod25291409?xid=plp_product_3
I confess I don't know a lot about it (or lump as a whole for that matter) not being much of a coal burner kind of guy. My experience is typically with what I find at a normal big box or grocery store if/when I want some. I also look at the wood type claimed to be in there. Looking for woods more like maple, oak, cherry, etc. Things I know. So far I've not had any bad experience using this technique. Knowing I am not going to be building an Ark I would likely eschew the more exotic stuff. Especially since I don't have any gold either. :D

Larry,
They have that Frontier lump at my Sam’s as well. I haven’t tried it, but I have bought Frontier’s briquettes several times at Menards. They are a little different, but I like them very much. Burn hot enough to work on my CharQ.

I've seen it at HD but passed. Naked Whiz gives it a below average rating.
Well at least they didn’t have the petroleum smell issue. In fact sounds to the contrary. I plan to use this in my CharQ rather than for long low and slow cooks. Small lumps would actually be OK, although dust and little pieces too small to burn would not. I will check out my bag and try them out soon.

Back