Some Genesis Platinum Options:

I have picked up 4-5 Platinums and none were in that good of shape. Every one had gaping holes in the floor with significant rust around the vents and bottom edges of the side and back panels. Those are probably salvageable if you choose to go that route, but they are going to require significant rust remediation.
Keep us posted.

I do not think I want to go back to the cabinet style at this time. If I keep them, it will only be to use as a pattern, if I decide to go on and attempt the Cabinet Style mod you Bruce and Jon did.

Yah, they don't hang straight without it and might bang against the grill when moving it. I guess I never tried without it and figured it would be pretty much necessary so I welded in that bar along with the front and back cross members.
You are right Bruce the tank does not hang completely straight. But it does not seem to be as noticeable I believe with the tank cover. Whether it make noise when you move it, I am unsure, but I do not move my grill very often, unless I need to sweep under it.

Blue Platinum Open Cart pic 5.jpgBlue Platinum Open Cart pic 6.jpg

Cool. Looks OK to me too.
I just started my next SS Platinum yesterday. Today, I got the front and back cross members welded in. I got the tank bumper bracket welded in and I got the 4 broken table joints permanently welded into place. Tomorrow, I will grind my ugly welds, wire brush them up nice and pretty and then I can clean and polish up the frame before I fab up a piece of aluminum for the bottom.

IMG_20240813_191038(1).jpg

That's going to be another really nice one, Bruce(y) Hold out or wait until spring to get a fair price for that rare frame that you have made all the more special - and bulletproof!

Lincoln Weldpak 3200HD It is a basic 140 style MIG welder. I got it for $150 with a 3M Speedglass welding helmet. It came with a gas valve and I added a tank to the welder. It is plenty for the stuff I do and works great with grill frames.

I wanted to get a brand name quality welder so I watched and waited until I found my deal, but a guy could do just fine with a Harbor Freight welder that can be had for not much over $100.

1723638526551.jpeg

Attachments

Sure, that welder that I picked up was being used as a flux core welder when I bought it. I still have some flux core wire. I just converted it to gas since it is easier to use and generally results in nicer welds. But definitely not required. Some welders can do both....some of the less expensive ones will only do flux.
Here is a HF MIG welder for $100. They have MIG welders that run the gamut all the up to $1000.
Generally, you just want a 120V capable welder unless you have access to a 220V power source. One of the big aspects of a MIG welder that influences the price is the duty cycle rate. The longer the rate, the more expensive the welder will generally be. For things like grill frames, you will never hit the duty cycle even on the $100 welder. But, if you decide you want to weld in a new quarter panel on your 1968 Camero, you will hit the duty cycle which limits how long you can weld before the welder stops to "recharge" and cool down. Even with all the other projects other than grills that I have done with my welder, I have never hit the duty cycle. The add for the welders should list the duty cycle in the specs.

I suggest quality wire. Stay away from the "Made in China" stuff. Stuff made in USA and Italy are usually pretty good. .030 or .035 diameter wire for grills. If you want to weld thinner metals, step down to .025....but I am not sure they even sell .025 in Flux. I think this Flux core wire is Made in Italy. https://www.harborfreight.com/0035-in-e71t-gs-flux-core-welding-wire-2-lb-roll-63499.html

Just use his. ;)

As long as it is a 120V welder, you should be able to use it in most any outlet. But, even if you go with something like that HF welder, it isn't a huge investment. Or you could try to find a good used on on FBMP or CL.

Oh, one thing. Since this thread was regarding the SS Platinum frames, I want to let you know that a flux core may not be able to use SS wire. I use SS wire on mine with gas. You can weld stainless with flux wire, but keep in mind that the wire and weld will be regular carbon steel and prone to rusting. So if welding stainless is a desire for you, make sure you get a MIG welder capable of using gas and then you will need to buy a tank, gauges and SS wire.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the floor from an early Platinum Summit 4-burner might be the same dimensions. A stainless floor would be really nice.
453890453_1031878701643417_3788962291659626180_n.jpg

I guess that is a possibility, but I would think the floor on the Summit is bigger, front to back in the least. Maybe someone can verify. Even if it isn't a SS Platinum Summit, the measurements should be the same as the SS version. It does look like the floor is designed differently too.

I guess that is a possibility, but I would think the floor on the Summit is bigger, front to back in the least. Maybe someone can verify. Even if it isn't a SS Platinum Summit, the measurements should be the same as the SS version. It does look like the floor is designed differently too.
If the floor fit I'd be inclined to pick one up, if cheap enough, just for that floor. The rest of the Genesis Platinum cabinet isn't much trouble to maintain and I like cabinet storage.

With my luck I'd find one for free, get it home and find it has an intact firebox. No way I'd be able to strip it.

Bruce,

How do you install the tank bumpers on the cross member. Do you use a tap and dye set to thread the hole?

Reason I ask is maybe you can install the tank bumpers on the existing cross member as they are on the Genesis Gold.

@_Branden_ Red Platinum Gold pic 4.jpeg

Back