So, What Would You Do.......

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
If you had a red fox living under your yard barn, and you wanted to bring home a 1 year old
golden retriever?

Bring home the dog.
1 year old is a pretty good size dog compared to a fox.
Also relaxing on the front porch with a rifle could be option number 2.

Foxes are truly harmless little critters unless you're a chipmunk or some such little vermin. I doubt it will be an issue and will likely run away from there once it lays eyes on a critter much larger. Even if your critter wants to do it no harm. Otherwise you're quite lucky to have one. I love seeing them

Barb and I have had Goldens almost the entire 40 years we've been married. It's very unlikely the golden will act aggressively toward the fox, if anything he or she might want to play with it. Just make sure the pups shots are all up to date and like Larry said once the fox knows there is a larger critter in the area the fox will probably move on.

If you've got a fox in the yard, it means one of two things (or both.) It's either feeding well (i.e., you've got small vermin handily available,) or it's a good place to bed down close to the buffet.

Bob, I'm assuming you're more worried about the wellbeing of the fox with this question. I'm sure once he sees the dog he will be more careful or just leave. I am always somewhat surprised however when my cats always come back after insisting on going outside even though I regularly see coyotes in my neighborhood.

Recently, we have had a lot of hawks overhead, small critters seem to be happy hiding under my walnut tree and gorging themselves!

We live adjacent to the family farm and usually see foxes every year. I just now learned a few things from Wiki about their behavior and potential threats.

_3006885.jpg

_3006888.jpg

We have a den of red fox living in the storm drain in our neighborhood. We see them quite often. The wife worries about our eleven year old Chihuahua.

My two year old golden is an agressive in terms of her play, but I think a fox would probably run away from her...If the fox wanted to "play" too, I'm nut sure what would happen, but I'm really sure the fox would run unless it's protecting babies.

I love seeing fox, but we have chickens, so our coop has to be Ft. Knox. They are beautiful and their habitat is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Foxes are cool. Why one would want to shoot one is beyond me. They’re pretty harmless and are far more scared of people and animals than you/they are of the fox

Back