smoking maple syrup?

Mike Shook

TVWBB Fan
i have been asked if I could figure out how to infuse maple syrup with an authentic smoky flavor. Assuming it's possible and effective, the mechanics seem easy enough if I just put the syrup in a relatively shallow wide bowl next time I throw meat on the WSM. But I am in the dark as to how long to leave it in there, or if it will work at all, and if 225-250 is the right way to go.

Has anyone attempted this? (I did search for a thread on this but got lost after a few pages of reading about maple glazed hoo-hahs.)

It’s going to be pretty hard to keep lit, isn’t it?
However it begs the question, why?
Drizzle the product with a bit of maple syrup let the smokiness happen. Do you want to bottle the stuff?
Sorry but, I just don’t quite see the value of possibly ruining good syrup. I like smokiness but, this just eludes me.
Not bashing, I just don’t see the worth.

Nah, my daughter is obsessed with the idea of smoked syrup for her family's camping breakfasts. I told her I would look into it.

Raichlen has a recipe for smoked bourbon maple syrup, and he indicates to smoke the syrup/bourbon for an hour. I think you are on the right track with your setup. I'd do a small test batch at an hour, but be sure to taste test the next day (operating the smoker tends to dull your ability to taste smoke levels well.) You might want to stir the syrup a few times while it's smoking to get "fresh" syrup to the top layer (unless you've got it in a pretty thin layer to begin with.) Most importantly, report back on how it goes, and what your final recipe is!

R

Ok, taking a back seat to this one, I tend to be more inclined to smoke things other than liquids. Perfectly willing to be proven wrong on this!
Data, data, data, I cannot make bricks without clay!

Hadn't even thought of cold smoking it. (Brain is getting sluggish I guess.) I will try it hot smoke and then try cold and see what turns out. Great ideas, thanks all.

Nah, my daughter is obsessed with the idea of smoked syrup for her family's camping breakfasts. I told her I would look into it.
There are a number of commercially available smoked maple syrups. I tried this one at the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco a few years ago, it was quite good.

Runamok Maple - Smoked with Pecan Wood

So you can definitely do this! Even for those without a smoke gun or not wanting to lay a pan of maple syrup into the WSM...you could add a drop of natural liquid smoke into a bottle of maple syrup and test the results.

There are a number of commercially available smoked maple syrups. I tried this one at the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco a few years ago, it was quite good.

Runamok Maple - Smoked with Pecan Wood

So you can definitely do this! Even for those without a smoke gun or not wanting to lay a pan of maple syrup into the WSM...you could add a drop of natural liquid smoke into a bottle of maple syrup and test the results.
A drop of liquid smoke? Chris, I have been cut to the quick!

Great idea though!
Have a lovely evening and, be safe!

Back