Smoking Mac N Cheese on Weber Kettle

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hi! Merry Christmas!
I need to run my kettle indirect at 350* for about an hour or so.
What is the minimum number of Kingsford Blue Briquettes I should use?

Last edited:
Hi! Merry Christmas!
I need to run my kettle indirect at 350* for about an hour or so.
What is the minimum number of Kingsford Blue Briquettes I should use?

I wouldnt use less than a full overflowing chimney.

Admittedly, i dont check temp on my kettle, but thats just how i cook on it. Hot. I dont know what temp it runs, but it cooks.

I dont use less than a full chimney to hit 350 on my wsm.

Last edited:
One of my BAD faults is that I ask for help before doing proper research.
I found this site just now.
Looks like the answer is about 1/2 chimney of KB.
Thanks MartinB, and Merry Christmas to all.

Wind and ambient temps will play a part. If I'm trying to hit and hold that temp, I usually use at least half a chimney, but probably closer to 3/4. Use vents to control your temps.

I think a full chimney will be a bit hotter if you run full open. If you back the bottom off to about half you should be just fine.

Wouldn't the minion method work good for this? List add more lit coal to the pile to maintain 350 instead of 250/275?

When I cook bone in thighs indirect on my 26 I like to maintain 350 for an hour. I bank a full chimney to one side and set the bottom vent to 1/2 and dome vent to full open. No problem maintaining 350 for an hour. When I tried 1/2 a chimney to not have as many coals left over I found by about the 45 minute mark that I was losing heat quickly.

I use the baskets and fill them roughly even with the top and light them on a Performer gas-assist 22". One basket on opposite sides with the lower vents at about 1/4 open and the top about fully open usually settles in at 350° (lid) for me. You might have to add a few briquettes about halfway through to keep it at 350° for an hour.

Jeff

Back