Smoking Mac N Cheese on Weber Kettle

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hi! Merry Christmas!
I need to run my kettle indirect at 350* for about an hour or so.
What is the minimum number of Kingsford Blue Briquettes I should use?

Last edited:

MartinB

TVWBB Pro
Hi! Merry Christmas!
I need to run my kettle indirect at 350* for about an hour or so.
What is the minimum number of Kingsford Blue Briquettes I should use?
I wouldnt use less than a full overflowing chimney.

Admittedly, i dont check temp on my kettle, but thats just how i cook on it. Hot. I dont know what temp it runs, but it cooks.

I dont use less than a full chimney to hit 350 on my wsm.

Last edited:

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
One of my BAD faults is that I ask for help before doing proper research.
I found this site just now.
Looks like the answer is about 1/2 chimney of KB.
Thanks MartinB, and Merry Christmas to all.

JimK

TVWBB Olympian
Wind and ambient temps will play a part. If I'm trying to hit and hold that temp, I usually use at least half a chimney, but probably closer to 3/4. Use vents to control your temps.

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I think a full chimney will be a bit hotter if you run full open. If you back the bottom off to about half you should be just fine.

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Wouldn't the minion method work good for this? List add more lit coal to the pile to maintain 350 instead of 250/275?

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
When I cook bone in thighs indirect on my 26 I like to maintain 350 for an hour. I bank a full chimney to one side and set the bottom vent to 1/2 and dome vent to full open. No problem maintaining 350 for an hour. When I tried 1/2 a chimney to not have as many coals left over I found by about the 45 minute mark that I was losing heat quickly.

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
I use the baskets and fill them roughly even with the top and light them on a Performer gas-assist 22". One basket on opposite sides with the lower vents at about 1/4 open and the top about fully open usually settles in at 350° (lid) for me. You might have to add a few briquettes about halfway through to keep it at 350° for an hour.

Jeff