Smoking in the rain tonight first pulled pork

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
So I have 18 people coming over tomorrow at 630 for drinks and food. I decided that I should finally try smoking a pork butt for the first time. I've done ribs a few times and a pork loin, but never an overnight cook.
I have a WSM 18":wsm22: and a brand new Thermoworks Smoke to try out too!

Problem is, forecast calls for rain and about 20MPH wind. I don't have a good covered spot for the WSM. Last time I did ribs in the fall it was wet and cold and things took forever. I read the section about trying to block from the wind. I'm not entirely sure I can do that. Maybe I can rig something up, I'll see if I have scraps of plywood to create a corner.

I read that you can use an EZ up or patio umbrella. question for those who have done it... Does the smoke stain the umbrella or EZ up? Wife won't like that much... I don't want to be in the dog house in the morning... or at least want to plan for it. She likes pulled pork, but maybe not enough to sacrifice our umbrella.

I'm definitely a little nervous doing an overnight for the first time, and this rain is making it more nerve-wracking!

I use this set-up. I can't say either way if it stains the umbrella, I don't think mine is showing any signs. It will definitely smell like smoke.

I use this set-up. I can't say either way if it stains the umbrella, I don't think mine is showing any signs. It will definitely smell like smoke.

Gotcha makes sense really.

I'm thinking that may not be palatable. How important is the rain protection vs wind?

I can try and rig something up for the wind.

How important is the rain protection vs wind?

I can try and rig something up for the wind.

I wouldn't want to be messing around with my smoker in the rain. If your rigging up something for wind you might as well address the rain chances too. Just my .02.

Rain can be dealt with easily. Wind is a little trickier. Wind and rain together are a real challenge. An EZ-up will need to be anchored pretty securely in a 20mph wind. A wind-break will also be necessary. Keep whatever break you come up with close to the WSM - 3 pieces of 2' x 4' plywood in a U shape would do it. If you can get some smoke in the butt in a few hours, you can always finish it in the oven. In either case, you have your work cut out for you.

I lost a cheap-o EZ-up when it filled with rain water and collapsed. Wind + rain = aggravation.

Jeff

And don't do it in your garage (even with the door open). Some do without ill consequences. But I wouldn't.

I use an (old) umbrella the same as Pat (on my deck). Difficult to say which is more important: wind or rain protection.. Rain--will flow into the smoker as it rolls off the lid. Wind--will tend to raise temps if you're not carefully monitoring which vents are open relative to wind direction.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

A torrential downpour would be a problem, but I've used my WSM in a fairly steady rain without issue. The wind is definitely an issue. Given your situation, I would probably start very early tomorrow morning and smoke the butt for about 4 hours or 160 degrees, whichever comes first, then wrap it (butcher paper or foil) and put it into a 300 degree oven until it hits 195 and check for tenderness. It shouldn't take more than a few hours, then you can rest it in a cooler with towels, etc. You're not getting much smoke penetration after it reaches 160; some surface adhesion, but that's about it.

However, if you want to do the overnight cook, something like a welding blanket might be your best choice. Wrap it close to the WSM and secure with big spring clamps. Combined with an old patio/beach umbrella, it should be fine to weather the storm, although I think the blanket itself would be enough.

I've been smoking for only a little over 1 year--and I have provision for rain and wind shields by virtue of a walkout basement--but I was about to suggest just what Chad shared. If I were in your predicament I'd see if I could hone-in on a time early tomorrow morning to begin the smoke and then move it to the oven. In my short experience I hold the opinion that I can even use higher temps in the smoker on butts. Aside from that, I'd serve something else. If your 18 guests are locals then I bet they'd come a second time for some beverages and grub.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I could change the menu if needed I guess. I'd rather not. I bought he butts fresh and rubbed them this morning. 2 of them around 8-9lbs

Is the general consensus that I could do this for a short time in the oven after smoking? The hourly forecast has the rain stopping overnight, but the wind continuing.
So my schedule would be like
7AM start WSM
1PM take off WSM, wrap in foil, put in oven at 300 deg
cook in oven for 3-4 hours?
let rest an hour or so, and serve?

I'm just trying to figure out a timeline. I could still have overnight as an option, but they seem to say possible thundershowers in addition to 80% change of rain with wind. if it is really crappy out, I don't see myself realistically getting the smoker started and everything set. I see myself being miserable at midnight.

I'd do the umbrella approach. I bought one of those pedestals from home depot and lashed it to the top to my deck. Light rain is probably not a problem and I don't find the wind to be THAT bad at 20 mph. You'll just need more fuel and you'll need to pay more attention.

Good advice has been given here. I'll just add that a 20 mph wind is way more than I've ever smoked in. That's crazy. Yeah your best bet is the short term smoke followed by the actual cook in the oven.

Let us know how it went!

Thanks for the advice guys.
I could change the menu if needed I guess. I'd rather not. I bought he butts fresh and rubbed them this morning. 2 of them around 8-9lbs

Is the general consensus that I could do this for a short time in the oven after smoking? The hourly forecast has the rain stopping overnight, but the wind continuing.
So my schedule would be like
7AM start WSM
1PM take off WSM, wrap in foil, put in oven at 300 deg
cook in oven for 3-4 hours?
let rest an hour or so, and serve?

I'm just trying to figure out a timeline. I could still have overnight as an option, but they seem to say possible thundershowers in addition to 80% change of rain with wind. if it is really crappy out, I don't see myself realistically getting the smoker started and everything set. I see myself being miserable at midnight.

Hey Chris,

Weather aside, I think you might want to plan on extra time for the butts! Still a novice myself, but I have cooked 6 butts now and learned to ALWAYS plan for extra time when it involves set dinner plans. Rule of thumb for me is 2 hours per pound. Of course temps will be a deciding factor and the variable of using the oven to finish. I have found that I can get it down to close to an hour per pound if wrapping a tight crutch when the stall hits.

...as a side question; do you guys still think the crutch is still necessary in the oven if trying to push through the stall?

Hopefully the weather holds out and good luck!

I do it the day of as well, but you will want to be up before 7. I'd have the smoker lit by 6-6:30. Then you come inside and rub your butts while it comes up to heat, or rub them the night before and store them wrapped tight in the fridge. IF you go that way, take them out of the fridge before you start the smoker. When the smoker is at steady temp (225-275ish you can cook butts hotter and they don't really care) drop them on the smoker. This should be around 7am. Check on them about 3ish, and if they are looking like they might be needing more than a couple of hours, drop them into a foil roasting pan, cover tightly with foil, add some juice if you want - I like hard cider) and drop them into a 300-350ish oven. Your bark will suffer a bit, but uber crunchy bark in my book tastes like charcoal to me. Pull them out of the over at about 6, and let them sit on the stove top to cool to a sane temperature for pulling. This will be at least a half hour, perhaps more. Pull your meat and add a finishing sauce.

I know from experience you can pull this off in bad weather. Unless your rainfall is heavy and steady it won't affect your cook. Its really windy here at times. I close the vents that face the wind and open the ones away fully. The WSM is pretty airtight. You just have to monitor the temp. You can get the job done with some grit and smarts. Like others said I would start early. Have fun. Don't stress. Monitor your temps and you can pull it off. Worst case scenario you smoke your meat for a few hours and finish in the oven foiled.

With twenty mile an hour winds the umbrella probably won't do much good as the rain will be coming at you sideways. Wind to me is always tougher to smoke in then rain.

Chris

I use a canopy from Quick Shade. 12x12. It's gotten me through some pretty rough, wet weather just fine. As Pat said, no staining problems however it will pick up a nice smoke odor. Probably would dissipate over time, but I use my canopy mainly for cooking. As someone else mentioned, the wind could be a problem. I use two 10# weights on each leg and during a freak wind storm, the canopy blew over anyway. Ruined two legs which had to be replaced. If the canopy falls on your hot smoker, it would be a real mess as you'd probably ruin the fabric of the canopy too. Long term solution, build a permanent grilling structure. Not sure when I'll ever get to that so I just keep plugging away with what I've got. Good luck Chris.

I have cooked many times in the rain with no issues. What I will do is take a foil pan and bend it up a little to make a "roof" for the top vent. I will then attach the "roof" to the top handle. This way the rain stays out and the top vent is still functional.

So the end result is it worked out ok. Nighttime was a no go. High winds and heavyish rain. I did set up the smoker at night in my shed. I also made a windbreak from scrap plywood and zip tied it together to be prepped for the morning. Butts were prepped about 24 hours in advance.
Morning came. I was getting ready a bit before 7. It's a good thing I didn't try the night before I almost missed that there was a spot of mold in the cooker. After cleaning it running at higher temps for a bit I finally was ready to cook. Got the 2 pork butts on around 8. Cooked until around 1-130 when they hit 160. The bark seemed to be set at that point too. Wrapped in foil and in the oven at 325. They hit about 200 and into the cooler they went. I definitely pushed the temp higher than usual to make sure they got done.
End results were good. Very tender, pulled better than any one I did in the oven or crockpot. Taste was good, better than any I did before, but I think I can do better. Probably need to refine the rub and longer in the smoker. I also didn't mop it, just used apple juice.

Everyone was happy with it. Way too much food. Lots of people took some home. I froze a bit. Overall crisis averted and successfully cook. The heros of the day were my makeshift windscreen. It really did the job well. And the thermoworks Smoke, it really felt like cheating compared to using the lid temp
And instant read that I've used before this.
Thanks for the advice Guys

End results were good. Very tender, pulled better than any one I did in the oven or crockpot. Taste was good, better than any I did before, but I think I can do better. Probably need to refine the rub and longer in the smoker. I also didn't mop it, just used apple juice.

Everyone was happy with it.

As long as the diners were satisfied, I'd call it a win. Half the fun of BBQ is trying new things to find the flavor you're looking for. As for "longer in the smoker", it may not have made much difference. Once the meat hits about 140-150, the smoke won't penetrate it too much more. Any additional smoke from that point is just going to layer on the bark (not that that's a bad thing). If you're looking for more smoke flavor, you might try adding more chunks or using a different variety or combination. I love the combination of 2 parts apple to one part cherry with pork. Gives great color and enough sweetness to balance against a rub that's got some spice and a tart vinegary Carolina-style sauce. Again, that's MY preference, not necessarily yours.

Back