Smoking Dad BBQ - ceramic Vs metal kamado

I like both of those guys (Tom Horseman and SmokingDad) somewhat although I disagree with SmokingDadBBQ's assertion that thin blue smoke from an offset penetrates the meat. I don't think smoke can penetrate meat. I do agree with his idea that making the fire less efficient can improve the smoke flavor which is why I think his double indirect method has some merit. There are other ways to accomplish that.

Tom Horseman is fine. He has his charm, but he really loves cheap stuff over quality, like comparing the Weber electric smoker to the Ninja. I have no doubt the Weber will be around long after the Ninja gets tossed in the trash. Or various thermometer's vs Thermoworks. He always seems to pick the cheaper option. My biggest pet peeve is him drilling a hole in a grill to stick a cheapo Amazon thermometer in it. But for some reason I enjoy watching him.

exactly. i've done some experimental cooks on my S6 and was and continue to be blown away by the WSKs ability to morph into many types of cookers.

one of my faves is cooking tri tips over live fire, real oak splits.

the WSK can handle just about any type and kind of cook and it can serve up any type of protein from delicate seafood to 20# briskets or full belly porchettas.

even pizza is more fun and i'm using a locally made steel that i spent $65 on.

there is a skill level needed for the WSK but it's not a high bar to achieve. i'd say it's just above a Performer.

the only thing i'm looking at adding right now for the new house/backyard, is a pizza oven. i've got my eye on Gozney. i'll make a move once the old house sells and i'm liquefied.
Here's an example, $300 for this accessory:

https://www.kamadojoe.com/products/dojoe

Another $300 for this:

And yet another $300 for this gimmick:

If the kamado did what kamados are designed to do, why are these necessary buying grift??

Last edited:
He's (SmokingDad) been anti WSK since he first got it and he loves the ceramics. I watch, but don't really put a lot of faith in his reviews. This one was really egregious and he tried doubling down in the comments about buying 7 kettle's for the price of the WSK. How about the number of kettles you can get for the cost of the KJ? Apparently that is another video he will release later.

Last edited:
Really interesting, thanks Grant. Why are the ceramics better at smoking out of interest? I totally agree the flexibility of the WSK is amazing - quick skirt steak, roast a chicken, reverse sear a big rib eye, smoke a brisket. All amazing

I think the ceramic Kamado design has just about the perfect combination of the heavy ceramic combined with just enough heat loss that let's you maintain a good constant burn of fuel at 225 degrees - right in that great "blue smoke" range.

I find the WSK just a "tiny" bit too efficient so that at 225 degrees the temperature control get's a little finicky and you are not burning quite enough fuel to get perfect smoke - it's good, but not great. Bumping the temp up into the 250-265 range seems to be (at least for my WSK) the sweet spot, but once again, I find that temp just a "tiny" bit higher than I would like to smoke at. The ceramic is just a little more dialed in as a smoker.

That said, there are so many other factors - at 24" - the price of ceramic grills is crazy, they are stupid heavy, and their vertical design does just not suit my cooking style...I was always trying to figure out how to cook near the outer edges, get a better "indirect" zone etc.

If I smoked food 10-12 times a month, and grilled 2-3 times, I would probably have a ceramic again. But since I grill 10-12 times a month and maybe smoke 2 times a month,the WSK is a far superior grill for me.

Last edited:
He's been anti WSK since he first got it and he loves the ceramics. I watch, but don't really put a lot of faith in his reviews. This one was really egregious and he tried doubling down in the comments about buying 7 kettle's for the price of the WSK. How about the number of kettles you can get for the cost of the KJ? Apparently that is another video he will release later.
Assume you're talking about the SmokingDad dude. Yeah, he claims KJ is so great because they're so innovative. If they are so innovative, why all the accessories to achieve basic results? I see similar marketing with BGE. Local Ace has two on display but dozens of BGE accessories. The margin on that junk has to be huge.

Assume you're talking about the SmokingDad dude. Yeah, he claims KJ is so great because they're so innovative. If they are so innovative, why all the accessories to achieve basic results? I see similar marketing with BGE. Local Ace has two on display but dozens of BGE accessories. The margin on that junk has to be huge.
Yes, SmokingDad. I'll edit my original post.

I have always wanted an extra large oval Primo.
My thinking was that ceramic was a better insulator than metal and they do look cool as heck.
If they didn’t come in the extra large oval size I wouldn’t have ever considered them.
They do seem to have all the abilities as the Weber so it’s probably a push.
The Weber on the other hand would be much easier to move around and wouldn’t crack.
The crack thing would make it a deal killer for me though.
Is that really an issue or do they crack due to owner error?

I follow the BGE line since I have one and they crack for a zillion reasons, yet some last 20 + years without any issues.

I've read that the XL BGE is more prone to having the base crack. I don't have hard data, just more posts of XL than all the other sizes.

I almost bought a used XL BGE to have in addition to my large BGE.

Instead, I bought a WSK and it's great. There are things I like better on the WSK compared the the BGE and things I like better on the BGE.

For me I ignore the negative comments and instead seek out the positive tips to get better.

IMO, The human factor is the main difference and we all can cook crap if we are lazy and don't pay attention and don't learn OR we can learn, read, watch and think we know.

Or, we light coal, cook, taste, eat, enjoy, get feedback, and apply our learning to the next cook. Wash rinse repeat.

Back