Smokenator/Slow 'N Sear vs Smokey Joe Mini WSM?

WalterN

I currently own a standard Weber Kettle as well as a Smokey Joe, and am interested in mods to improve the long/slow smoking performance of one or the other - would you suggest going with something like a Smokenator or Slow 'N Sear for the former, or do a "Mini WSM" project on the latter?

I don't need to do large quantities of meat - I'm mostly interested in which will give better results with minimal fuss for longer cooks.

Thanks in advance!

I have no need for it but I think the slow n sear is pretty damn cool. I'd go with that over the smokenator. You could also do a rack of ribs flat and even a brisket. You will have to reload for longer cooks. However, minimal fuss means probably doing the mini wsm and it's probably cheaper.

I've been cooking on my Weber OTG & Performer for several years and have had great results. I did purchase a Smokenator when I purchased my OTG but I honestly find that the Smokenator doesn't do anything that banking the coals, or using the "fuse" method doesn't.

I've cooked everything from ribs to a 14 hour packer brisket on my kettles without using the Smokenator.

I've never cooked with a Mini WSM or Slow n' Sear, so I can't comment on those.

My advice for the time being is to just practice with what you have for now. Look up on YouTube how to cook low and slow on your Kettle before you invest in anything else. Once you have some more cooks under your belt you will have a better idea of what you want to do.

Probably the cheapest and most effective way is to invest in a couple fire bricks. I use my kettle to smoke anything and the fire bricks allow a good low-slow cook.

Walter I've cooked a lot of barbecue low and slow on my kettle. A few years ago a bought the smokenator and tried it a few times. I found that using a wire charcoal separator to be much more effective. If you learn to use the vents you can get excellent temperature control. Most of my posts in the photo gallery show exactly how I set mine up. Good luck!

I had a smokenator and used it a lot before I got an WSM. Sent it along to my son, who now uses it. I think the smokenator, Slow n Sear or the vortex ( got one for Christmas, just have not used it yet) for that matter are tools that are fun to use, but you really do not need them. There are lots of examples on how to use your performer on this site and others that you can use with out spending the money. Having WSM has been the best way for me to cook, low and slow or smoke. It is so easy to use and lots for fun.

I have done excellent "smokes" on my Weber Kettles (currently a pair of Performers). However, the grills require much more "temperature
tending" than the Weber smokers do. The WSM's and the Mini-Joe require much less work to maintain proper smoking temperatures.
dIn answer to the O.P.'s question, I would build the Mini-Joe without question. They are DANDY smokers as are all three Weber WSM's.

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:
I no longer have my mini WSM, my son got it when I bought a 14" WSM. Boy, I had some awesome cooks with that mini, and the nice part was that I could still use it at as Smokey Joe, best of both worlds and it was easy to take in the rv as it broke down which was great for storage. This combination cooked great food and I could easily serve 4 or more people at a time and I easily could get 6-7 hours out of one load of Kingsford, and the best part was that I made it myself with the instructions from the forum members and it worked as advertised.

Colin, how are you using the firebrick for low/slow? Just curious.

I posted from my tablet, but posting disappeared, so I'll try again. What is normally done is wall off a third of the coal rack with the bricks and foil the remaining part of the rack. Then I dump unlit charcoal in the walled off part and add a dozen or so lit coals. I then put whatever I'm cooking in the other part and close the bottom vents to an eighth or so. Check the temp every so often and hope for the best.
It requires a bit of finagling but is doable. Certainly cheaper than buying another unit and just go with what you already got and fire bricks are a heck of a lot cheaper than the alternatives. But I have never used a smokenator or any of the other units so YMMV.

Oh and yes, I'm cheap (and somewhat broke) too.

I picked up a pair of firebricks and tried the "one sided" indirect on my performer and found it less satisfying from the finished product and it used more charcoal. It very well might be an issue of practice but, I have used the original basket set up for so long, I just know what's going on with them. I'm as cheap and broke as they come so, we are in the same boat! I'm not displeased with having spent $3.50 for the brick, I'm using them between the baskets and they do provide a little heat holding property.
Twirled a chicken with an appetizer of mushroom caps and side of asparagus all split center set up and once again no surprises, great end product! Granted, it was a rotisserie job, but for indirect, the old way still works for me and I use less charcoal. But, that's just me.

Thanks all for the replies! - I do understand the most important thing is to just use and learn with what you've got...having said that, for a few bucks it seems like a couple of firebricks will be a much more sensible addition for the 22" kettle to start experimenting with than the $70-$90 commercial add-ons - and since I have the Smokey Joe already, the Mini WSM might be a fun and ultimately very useful project as well.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies! - I do understand the most important thing is to just use and learn with what you've got...having said that, for a few bucks it seems like a couple of firebricks will be a much more sensible addition for the 22" kettle to start experimenting with than the $70-$90 commercial add-ons - and since I have the Smokey Joe already, the Mini WSM might be a fun and ultimately very useful project as well.

You will not be disappointed, or at least if you are - you're not out much. I swear by those bricks and as far as I'm concerned, it will cook/smoke/grill/bake with the best of them.

I will revisit the split kettle concept and, yes, the cost of firebricks is pretty darned low. I've just used the "official" indirect design for my Weber for a long long time with nary a failure. Not too old to learn but maybe too stupid to remember.
Doggone it, it's nine o'clock and now I feel like grilling something!
You guys!!!

I will revisit the split kettle concept and, yes, the cost of firebricks is pretty darned low. I've just used the "official" indirect design for my Weber for a long long time with nary a failure. Not too old to learn but maybe too stupid to remember.
Doggone it, it's nine o'clock and now I feel like grilling something!
You guys!!!

Ha, I know what you mean. Not to beat this topic to death, but since I reside in Canada, all those nifty-cool gadgets are just not available here and what with shipping, our useless dollar, and duty-taxes, a $70 item will cost over $200 up here. So bricks it will stay.

Back