SmokeFire Restore

Remember my auger motor failing and Weber wanted me to buy the part? Well, this week they completely changed their mind and are sending me the motor and auger free of charge, not even charging shipping! Really weird because they contracted me out of the blue saying since I had never gotten any parts while it was under warranty, they are going to send me these parts for free. Incredible.
Since you own/owned a SF, you can say anything you want about it, you’ve earned that. As far as Weber sending you an auger/motor assembly it’s because they have determined that the originals were prone to egging at the pin, and now they’re replacing them with a screw instead of a cotter pin. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone who registered their SF get a new auger/motor assembly. For the record, I’ve never beat the drum that the SF is the end all of pellet grills. I just say my SF has kicked out some good eats and it has. I don’t know about everyone, but Weber has been good to me. My SF is pretty much brand new again, and all I’ve bought is a glowplug and a 4 pack of fuses. If Weber hadn’t stepped up and made it right, I probably would be a hater, and it would be ok, because I own one. But those who come here and talk smack about Weber and its products, when they don’t own one and can’t BBQ anyway, I’d shut them down and block their IP. They’re just here to cap on people from the safety of their home. Probably their mom’s house at that

But those who come here and talk smack about Weber and its products, when they don’t own one and can’t BBQ anyway, I’d shut them down and block their IP. They’re just here to cap on people from the safety of their home. Probably their mom’s house at that
Not quite sure who the folks are here that don't own or haven't owned Weber grills. I've had a Weber grill...both gas and charcoal, on the deck of every home(s)I've owned in the last 35 years. Got one sitting on my deck right now...which is after I sold the one that was sitting on my deck before it. Like many companies, they produce some excellent quality products, but occasionally they swing and miss.
It's likely been stated many times before, but you should consider the fact that many folks value this site for the purpose of learning what grilling products are the right choice for them based on other's experience, both good and bad.
20221010_144800_HDR.jpg

20221010_151424_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Since you own/owned a SF, you can say anything you want about it, you’ve earned that. As far as Weber sending you an auger/motor assembly it’s because they have determined that the originals were prone to egging at the pin, and now they’re replacing them with a screw instead of a cotter pin. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone who registered their SF get a new auger/motor assembly. For the record, I’ve never beat the drum that the SF is the end all of pellet grills. I just say my SF has kicked out some good eats and it has. I don’t know about everyone, but Weber has been good to me. My SF is pretty much brand new again, and all I’ve bought is a glowplug and a 4 pack of fuses. If Weber hadn’t stepped up and made it right, I probably would be a hater, and it would be ok, because I own one. But those who come here and talk smack about Weber and its products, when they don’t own one and can’t BBQ anyway, I’d shut them down and block their IP. They’re just here to cap on people from the safety of their home. Probably their mom’s house at that

I do remember when everyone was getting free replacement parts shortly after launch. I should have jumped on that bandwagon at the time. Now I pretty much have all original parts, except for the pellet "ramp". I am out of warranty and initially they told me where to buy the part, but then they had a change of heart and decided to send it free. I am looking forward to cooking with it, again.

I can certainly understand your frustration. I personally won’t be spending any money on my SmokeFire, when it stops working I’m giving it away or tossing it.
I had my best smokes on it and learned a lot, but I will be moving on. I am also not buying a Weber to replace it. The Searwood looks nice and seems well priced but I will be going a different route.

I am with you. The SF has taught me a lot about pellet cooking and I have had some great cooks on it. But this auger motor thing opened my eyes to how cheap it is to replace parts from other companies. $180 part from Weber vs $30 same part from another company. Plus, my situation has changed a bit from when I bought the SF originally. I couldn't justify that price tag today. Too many new responsibilities. Funny thing is, I have been enjoying using my kettle again. Granted, I have had to re-learn alot in the past couple of months, but it has been fun.

But this auger motor thing opened my eyes to how cheap it is to replace parts from other companies. $180 part from Weber vs $30 same part from another company. Plus, my situation has changed a bit from when I bought the SF originally. I couldn't justify that price tag today. Too many new responsibilities. Funny thing is, I have been enjoying using my kettle again. Granted, I have had to re-learn alot in the past couple of months, but it has been fun.
Wish I had known you were not running as a result of auger/motor, I've had extra auger/motor assemblies. I would have sent you one. Technically they were "at fault" but they worked with a little effort

I vote for a time out.

It is totally fine to reach different - even opposite - conclusions, but I believe we need to try not to allow our different views and experiences make things become personal.

Just a thought. I personally hope we can keep ourselves aimed at helping each other enjoy and learn more about this hobby.

Hey, I didn't trip, when my little toe got caught putting on my underwear this morning!

I vote for a time out.

It is totally fine to reach different - even opposite - conclusions, but I believe we need to try not to allow our different views and experiences make things become personal.

Just a thought. I personally hope we can keep ourselves aimed at helping each other enjoy and learn more about this hobby.
I could not agree more.

So bottom line Chuck. How is your SF now? Is it going the way you'd hoped after your refurb work? Because bottom line that is all that matters. Is it turning out the food you love. And behaving the way you like again. This, in the end is all any of us wants regardless of the appliance.

Anonymity

I hate it. Sometimes, it gets the best of me but I do strive to pause and ask myself how I would respond differently in person and it helps me take a friendlier approach.

The thing is, whenever this happens here on this thread and occasional other threads with varying members, I can almost always reflect and think to myself that I have truly enjoyed reading some posts by all the folks who can get caught up in a heated discourse.

Do you think it’s possible that if we didn’t know one another from this site and met for the first time at a campground with this hobby that we enjoy (as Jon pointed to) it could go down as one of our most enjoyable weekends, having met some great people? I do.

I have regrets stemming from anonymity. I hope to do better.

So bottom line Chuck. How is your SF now? Is it going the way you'd hoped after your refurb work? Because bottom line that is all that matters. Is it turning out the food you love. And behaving the way you like again. This, in the end is all any of us wants regardless of the appliance.
It’s one day shy of 39 months old and running brand new again. I paid $1.1K for it, I put $25 into it (fuses & glowplug) I kept the glowplug, I suspect it’s actually still good and that it was the auger that was the problem. I’m pretty confident it’ll go another 3 years without problem, making it 6+ years old. $1,125 / 72 = $15 per month, that’s not too bad for a mechanical equipment. If and when it does break down, I for see it becoming a wood burning offset with minimal effort and cost to do so. I’m satisfied, I think Weber did good by me. Really couldn’t be happier

I've had various hobbies that I participated in forums involving those hobbies. But after being ridiculed by the elites of the forum for asking such stupid questions and the constant bickering of the forum members. I eventually found other ways get my questions answered.
It was so bad if you can imagen on a model railroad forum it took two monitors full time to keep control of the fighting factions.
Ten years ago, I stumbled on this forum when I was looking for a recipe for a new to me a thing called a Tri Tip and I was hooked. I couldn't believe what a variety of interest involving outdoor cooking could exist. Everyone was friendly and there was no such thing as a stupid question.
I have learned so much here that I look forward every day to spending some time to see what's new.
Times are tough for many now including Barb and myself, anxiety is high, and patience is thin.
With Chris's excellent guidance this forum has maintained a level of being civil with each other that's not found in most forums I've been on.
That's why I'm still here 10 years later.
Yes, I can be guilty of opening my yap when I shouldn't. It's time to take a chill pill and enjoy the comradery we have here. There will always be those that are looking for a fight, me from now on I'm just going to ignore those.

I haven't had to order any parts but I was curious as to when my warranty would expire... It happened on June 20, lol.
Contact Weber Customer Service, tell them that you understand that they’re replacing the auger & motor due to “egging” at the pin. I’m almost certain that they will send you a replacement assembly. My personal opinion is that you’ll eventually have to replace the fan, and probably the glowplug assembly. Not expensive and worthy the investment

Well I for one am VERY happy to hear those results Chuck. Honestly IMO that is not a bad performance for ANY appliance, let alone an outdoor one. Really bodes well, should I decide to drop down to only 2 appliances on my deck (giving up the Wolf and consider the Searwood). Still some things on the Searwood I see, that, bother me a bit (especially at the aske $$$). No table or tray, the 2 wagon wheels (REALLY despise that), the stationary top rack (LOVE my sliding rack on Big Z).
And not to take anything away from the Searwood or patting myself, now that I've discovered I can turn Big Z into an "open chamber" type of cooking from that experiment I did the other day and will repeat this PM on that pichana I bought, I am going to continue experimenting and perfecting. As this COULD open up an entirely new realm for it.
Anyway regardless of If or how many "issues" there MAY have been for some on the early SF I'm still grateful for having learned things from those folks. Hell I would have NEVER gotten into the sport if my curiosity hadn't been piqued and all you enablers when I had the chance to get started for only $199 :D
Salute!

Back