SmokeFire Restore

I don't think that Weber adequately tested the SmokeFIre, and the innovative design brought issues not typical to pellet grills in general. I fault Weber for putting themselves in a bind to where they felt they had to get the SmokeFire out to market faster than they should. (Look at the history of the first Genesis gas grill and how long they tinkered with it to get it totally right.) It is also true that the first release, and to some extent even the "improved" versions, probably suffered at the hands of the bean counters with too thin materials in high stress areas.

However, I salute Weber for aiming for the fence rather than making a "me, too" pellet grill which would have been the easy way out. A bunch of you users have shown us just how good a cook Weber's design is capable of, so I think it is hard to argue that - when it is working - the SmokeFire is a great smoker.

Finally, I applaud Weber for taking it on the chin very hard in trying to make things right with their customers and ultimately coming up with a way to move toward something a bit more conventional in the Searwood while still retaining as much good as possible of the SmokeFire's innovations.
What Jon said and no regrets by me

”People that cap on Weber here have no business doing so.” I’m sure you intended the word “crap”. But I’m thankful this forum allows different views.
I definitely feel sorry for all the Weber Customer Service employees having to field all the Smokefire issues over the last several years. I hope they were all given a pay raise.
Well stated, Sir. Also, innovation for the sake of innovation that fails and falls flat on its face out of the gate, is a gut punch to any major brand.
I wonder how many folks that bought Smokefires being loyal to the Weber brand, were offered the option to return it for the Searwood. So far on this site we've seen one in the form of a YouTube video. I don't know many folks that would be tolerant of multiple part failures from a top tier brand that would go back for seconds.

Last edited:
Well stated, Sir. Also, innovation for the sake of innovation that fails and falls flat on its face out of the gate, is a gut punch to any major brand.
I wonder how many folks that bought Smokefires being loyal to the Weber brand, were offered the option to return it for the Searwood. So far on this site we've seen one in the form of a YouTube video. I don't know many folks that would be tolerant of multiple part failures from a top tier brand that would go back for seconds.
I understand brand loyalty. But I don’t understand blind loyalty.
Being a photographer I’m partial to Canon. Over the last 45 years they have not always been the leader in innovation but always a solid product in their higher end gear. But if my camera would have given me as many issues my Smokefire I would have no issues jumping ship to another product or brand.
It’s great this forum has a few members that put in the time and energy to post about their difficulties and repairs as this is very helpful information to many others. I will say Lew was a leader in passing on helpful information. Lew is one of a handful of people on the 3-4 forums I visit who truly made an impact. What an amazing gentleman.
I think the number of active members on this forum that chose other brands of pellet grills over Weber is a true sign of past failure by Weber. But as long as you enjoy outdoor cooking and are happy with your grill that’s all that really matters.

I think the number of active members on this forum that chose other brands of pellet grills over Weber is a true sign of past failure by Weber
Not always a sign of a failure. When I wanted to tip my toes into this water (uncharted territory for me) I wasn't sure I would even enjoy one. A Weber was just too darn much $$$ for me to spend. And a used SF was not to be seen that had not been so abused was not worth my scant time. When Sam's put their well regarded Pro Series on a sale price of just $199 back in August of 22 I could not let it go. I figured $199 WTH. I went online, put it on Will Call and went to get it. Dragged it home and began something I didn't know I'd end up embracing so much.
Sorry I did not go for the SF? Yes and no. Sorry I took the plunge? Hell no. Witness my Big Z. (so many positive reviews on it from long time YouTubers). Half the price of the SF.
But, I stuck things out here. Watching, learning. Figuring one day I'd get to a decision that will surprise. Of considering offering the Wolf either for sale or handing it down to my SIL (whom I've already offered it to for his consideration). He was a little flabbergasted, and he's considering if he wants to move on from that old OG Genesis I gave him. In any case, depending on the fate of the Wolf I figure I am going to pretty much give up on gas grilling (other than my Q320), and then long term sell Big Z (or make it the garage queen and sell MM), and then get in all likelihood a flagship pellet grill most likely the Searwood. Because of it's versatility.
Anyway bottom line, while I never owned a SmokeFire I'm grateful for it. Never would have gotten into this game if not for it and the "pioneers" here who lit my fire on the "sport"

Not always a sign of a failure. When I wanted to tip my toes into this water (uncharted territory for me) I wasn't sure I would even enjoy one. A Weber was just too darn much $$$ for me to spend. And a used SF was not to be seen that had not been so abused was not worth my scant time. When Sam's put their well regarded Pro Series on a sale price of just $199 back in August of 22 I could not let it go. I figured $199 WTH. I went online, put it on Will Call and went to get it. Dragged it home and began something I didn't know I'd end up embracing so much.
Sorry I did not go for the SF? Yes and no. Sorry I took the plunge? Hell no. Witness my Big Z. (so many positive reviews on it from long time YouTubers). Half the price of the SF.
But, I stuck things out here. Watching, learning. Figuring one day I'd get to a decision that will surprise. Of considering offering the Wolf either for sale or handing it down to my SIL (whom I've already offered it to for his consideration). He was a little flabbergasted, and he's considering if he wants to move on from that old OG Genesis I gave him. In any case, depending on the fate of the Wolf I figure I am going to pretty much give up on gas grilling (other than my Q320), and then long term sell Big Z (or make it the garage queen and sell MM), and then get in all likelihood a flagship pellet grill most likely the Searwood. Because of it's versatility.
Anyway bottom line, while I never owned a SmokeFire I'm grateful for it. Never would have gotten into this game if not for it and the "pioneers" here who lit my fire on the "sport"
Love it

If you purchased 2 Non-Weber pellet grills, then Weber failed to provide you a product with good enough value/quality.

I guess it's a way to look at it. But, I don't think no matter what at the time $$$ wise the SmokeFire was in the cards for me. Not because I thought it a "bad" product or of little value. Right now (should I be able to sell the Z at a good price) the SearWood is on my radar. Though admittedly there are a couple other models/brands as well from Traeger and Pit Boss. I don't recall the models. But they're some of their new top of the line models with some pretty cool innovations. All within spitting distance price wise between the SearWood XL price wise. But, all offering just a bit more "features and convenience" wise than the Weber offering without having to resort to optional "add ons". Like full casters, front and side shelves and so on.
So on this next choice it's going to be a VERY careful decision, because I'm going to take it the "fleet" down to only one main grill on the deck.

Seems to me, the people who are the most upset with the Smoke Fire, never even had a Smoke Fire. And furthermore, most of them have never put up a picture of their cooks. There's a word for that, pretty sure Chris wouldn't appreciate it though

Seems to me, the people who are the most upset with the Smoke Fire, never even had a Smoke Fire. And furthermore, most of them have never put up a picture of their cooks. There's a word for that, pretty sure Chris wouldn't appreciate it though
Yeah...the important part of your post" Seems to me".
Seems to me you're defensive about buying a guinea pig pellet grill that had more downtime than cook time...how you like them apples?

Yeah...the important part of your post" Seems to me".
Seems to me you're defensive about buying a guinea pig pellet grill that had more downtime than cook time...how you like them apples?
You state that my grill had more downtime than cook time (whatever that means) I've had the grill 37 months and it was "down" 3 of them. As a fyi, my "cook time" (your words, not mine) was 92% and my downtime was 8%. But whose counting?

If you purchased 2 Non-Weber pellet grills, then Weber failed to provide you a product with good enough value/quality.
Agree to disagree.
You complain about prices, you complain about quality. We aren’t getting the builds we want for under $1000, it’s just not happening.
The SmokeFire was a well built machine, it’s a sturdy, good looking smoker.
Did it have some issues yes, but I’m on glow plug one and the thing runs like a champ. I was a day one owner and it runs better now than it ever did, that’s a testament to Weber not settling and improving on the machine itself, the app and the software.

Agree to disagree.
You complain about prices, you complain about quality. We aren’t getting the builds we want for under $1000, it’s just not happening.
Did it have some issues yes, but I’m on glow plug one and the thing runs like a champ. I was a day one owner and it runs better now than it ever did, that’s a testament to Weber not settling and improving on the machine itself, the app and the software.

Remember my auger motor failing and Weber wanted me to buy the part? Well, this week they completely changed their mind and are sending me the motor and auger free of charge, not even charging shipping! Really weird because they contracted me out of the blue saying since I had never gotten any parts while it was under warranty, they are going to send me these parts for free. Incredible.

Seems to me most of the die hard defenders of the Smokefire and claim it cooks sooooo much better than any other pellet grill have never owned and cooked on another quality pellet grill.
But I assure you I have cooked
Agree to disagree.
I watched so many posts on this forum about the cheap stamped metal parts used in the Smokefire. And it was the same experience I had in less than a years worth of use. The parts just rusted and corroded away. Yes, Weber replaced them. But that does not change the facts. They still replaced my parts with the same low quality material parts as the stock parts.
“You complain about prices, you complain about quality”…it’s not just me. It’s every big box store, BBQ store and Ace Hardware store that pulled the Smokefire off their sales floor. It’s basic economics 101. The quality and value of the product did not meet the price of the item. When I bought my Smokefire 2nd Gen 36” it was selling for $1500.
There is just no logical argument to defend a grill that even Weber completely changed because they knew it was sucking money off the bottom line trying to keep replacing parts for free. If it were that much better of a grill and cooked so much better than other brands it would still be on the market today. But it’s not. The newer model, at least initially, seems like a better product. And I hope it is. I’m definitely not a hater of Weber. But there is no logical reasoning to claim the Smokefire was a successful product.
And I hate to break it to you, “Weber did settle”. The Smokefire is discontinued by a resigned product at a 30 percent price cut over the retail of he Smokefire.
Oh, and their connection design for the glow plug on the Smokefire was just stupid. Buy a $1500 grill and have to hose clamp my glow plug. Just asinine.

Seems to me most of the die hard defenders of the Smokefire and claim it cooks sooooo much better than any other pellet grill have never owned and cooked on another quality pellet grill.
But I assure you I have cooked

I watched so many posts on this forum about the cheap stamped metal parts used in the Smokefire. And it was the same experience I had in less than a years worth of use. The parts just rusted and corroded away. Yes, Weber replaced them. But that does not change the facts. They still replaced my parts with the same low quality material parts as the stock parts.
“You complain about prices, you complain about quality”…it’s not just me. It’s every big box store, BBQ store and Ace Hardware store that pulled the Smokefire off their sales floor. It’s basic economics 101. The quality and value of the product did not meet the price of the item. When I bought my Smokefire 2nd Gen 36” it was selling for $1500.
There is just no logical argument to defend a grill that even Weber completely changed because they knew it was sucking money off the bottom line trying to keep replacing parts for free. If it were that much better of a grill and cooked so much better than other brands it would still be on the market today. But it’s not. The newer model, at least initially, seems like a better product. And I hope it is. I’m definitely not a hater of Weber. But there is no logical reasoning to claim the Smokefire was a successful product.
And I hate to break it to you, “Weber did settle”. The Smokefire is discontinued by a resigned product at a 30 percent price cut over the retail of he Smokefire.
Oh, and their connection design for the glow plug on the Smokefire was just stupid. Buy a $1500 grill and have to hose clamp my glow plug. Just asinine.
I can certainly understand your frustration. I personally won’t be spending any money on my SmokeFire, when it stops working I’m giving it away or tossing it.
I had my best smokes on it and learned a lot, but I will be moving on. I am also not buying a Weber to replace it. The Searwood looks nice and seems well priced but I will be going a different route.

I can certainly understand your frustration. I personally won’t be spending any money on my SmokeFire, when it stops working I’m giving it away or tossing it.
I had my best smokes on it and learned a lot, but I will be moving on. I am also not buying a Weber to replace it. The Searwood looks nice and seems well priced but I will be going a different route.
Have you singled something out? I'm curious. Because IF (and it's a big if) I can get enough $$$ between maybe the Wolf and the Z, to offset some of the expenses, I'm going to be checking things out up to maybe $1500. (though much is going to hinge on how tonight's experiment goes see my trying something different post) and if I pull this off, I'll take a few things I've learned about the SearWood design, and the SmokeFire, and perhaps talk to a local fabricator here to see about perhaps fabricating some internals that would accomplish good grease management and yet still maintain a more "open" fire chamber for more smoke in the actual "oven" portion at higher heats. Both my grills neither suffers from a lack of smoke when used at 250 or less. But once you begin cranking over 250 it goes away pretty quickly.
So, this is going to be a telling experiment. But also would love to see where you may be headed

Have you singled something out? I'm curious. Because IF (and it's a big if) I can get enough $$$ between maybe the Wolf and the Z, to offset some of the expenses, I'm going to be checking things out up to maybe $1500. (though much is going to hinge on how tonight's experiment goes see my trying something different post) and if I pull this off, I'll take a few things I've learned about the SearWood design, and the SmokeFire, and perhaps talk to a local fabricator here to see about perhaps fabricating some internals that would accomplish good grease management and yet still maintain a more "open" fire chamber for more smoke in the actual "oven" portion at higher heats. Both my grills neither suffers from a lack of smoke when used at 250 or less. But once you begin cranking over 250 it goes away pretty quickly.
So, this is going to be a telling experiment. But also would love to see where you may be headed
Last year we had a major disaster at our house, it’s going to be 2 years away from home while it gets rebuilt.
It’s been a crazy ride that is still only beginning.
When I survive it all I am going to buy a LoneStar pellet grill as a going home present.

Last year we had a major disaster at our house, it’s going to be 2 years away from home while it gets rebuilt.
It’s been a crazy ride that is still only beginning.
When I survive it all I am going to buy a LoneStar pellet grill as a going home present.
I sure wish I could swing something like that. I'd be a smokin grillin fool. But we averted a near disaster here (almost had a bad fire in the breaker panel) and now I have to have the entire panel replaced and will likely be doing upgrades at the time. My very good lifelong friend (more brother to me than my real brother) actually knows how to do it and has offered to help me do as much. H's experienced with working with this stuff. But the guy has been saving my bacon for so many years and it's VERY rare I can save his. So, I've called in an electrical contractor to come in and give me a quote. And if it's not going to cause me to simply drop dead I'll likely hire them. But, he's already checked things out and verified we can get it done. So, it remains to be seen how I do this.
But I darn sure would REALLY love to have something on the order of a Lone Star

Back