SmokeFire makes us proud!

What would be a good buy for a new in the box gen2 EX6 from an individual selling one on FB?
$600 would be my goal for one not bought from a store. I’d also want to make sure I could register it with Weber. I think the warranty alone would probably justify the extra $400

By the way the two of them raved about the SF ribs there wasn't any doubt who the winner was. It certainly seemed like a fair comparison also.
I agree Rich. It was a pretty compelling reaction. One minute I am afraid to go in the water, and the next I say “that’s the one!”

Those guys clearly know bbq and grills. When the one said the SmokeFire ribs would be indistinguishable from one’s done in an offset smoker, I was pretty amazed😎!

This video is the reason I am now looking at the SF. My big thing is still that for $600 difference, I could move to the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850 (albeit with a slightly smaller grill space which is fine by me) and the smoker is made with 7 and 10 gauge SS compared to the SF which is 12 and 16 gauge steel and is already having corrosion issues with high temps. I see that Bruno, I believe it was, that recently got some replacement parts that were made with thicker metal, but it sort of leaves the question of what is the next thing that is going to have to replaced on it. The SF seems to be a great smoker, but in terms of quality, there are other smokers that are a stone's throw away (albeit still more expensive) than the SF. You're paying for quality with the Pitts & Spitts and I have seen many of them in the P&S forums that are 15 years old and still look new with rarely an issue with any internals on the Mavericks with exceptional CS. Weber seems to have a fairly good CS program from what I am seeing here. I guess my question would be, if the P&S grills are still running strong after 15 years of service without having to replace many things outside of igniters, does the cost of ownership lean more towards P&S at that point over the long term? It's tough to say considering the SF is a fairly new product regardless of whatever hiccups that occurred during the launch.

Sean,
There is little doubt that the SmokeFire will not be in the class of Yoder, MAK, or (new to me) Pitts and Spitts with respect to long-term durability. It isn’t built to that standard. But it is hard to argue with great cooking results. That video brought objective support to the anecdotal positives we have seen posted here on many occasions.

I think if I were to be able to get a SmokeFire (and stay married), my plan would be to shy away from the high heat grilling that I don’t need anyway, since I already have gas and kettle/other charcoal options for that. Then, I would be a fanatic about keeping it clean and out of the elements as much as possible. Doing that faithfully, I think, would probably buy a reasonable life expectancy, though not likely 15 years.

Sean,
There is little doubt that the SmokeFire will not be in the class of Yoder, MAK, or (new to me) Pitts and Spitts with respect to long-term durability. It isn’t built to that standard. But it is hard to argue with great cooking results. That video brought objective support to the anecdotal positives we have seen posted here on many occasions.

I think if I were to be able to get a SmokeFire (and stay married), my plan would be to shy away from the high heat grilling that I don’t need anyway, since I already have gas and kettle/other charcoal options for that. Then, I would be a fanatic about keeping it clean and out of the elements as much as possible. Doing that faithfully, I think, would probably buy a reasonable life expectancy, though not likely 15 years.
Excellent summary. Those on the wire who can grab one at half price are crazy no to do so.

Score for the SF! The blind taste test was a great idea.
I was thinking that also. But when they opened all the smokers earlier in the video they were taking notes of how the ribs looked. So I don't think it was a completely blind taste test simply because the smoke fire already had a different look to the ribs than the rest of them.

I was thinking that also. But when they opened all the smokers earlier in the video they were taking notes of how the ribs looked. So I don't think it was a completely blind taste test simply because the smoke fire already had a different look to the ribs than the rest of them.
Your hypothesis is flawed in that the ribs will look different once cooked and cut.

The video just made me hungry for some ribs on my SF ;)

Another video from Mad Scientist that he just put out - very neat in depth review of a variety of pellets along with a wealth of info on pellet smokers in general!

Back