SmokeFire issues on YouTube.

Very interesting comment made at the 47 minute mark about acquiring smokers, sounds like some company (REC TEC?) might be announcing a new smoker.
Hmmmmmmm:unsure:

I wouldn’t be shocked. I just have had a feeling that they were about ready. If it is true, I hope they don’t overreach but rather just improve what they have been doing well already. I would bet on something that looks a little like a big 590 but with a rear hopper. 4 ports I am sure. Whether the grease bucket goes is an interesting question.

Jon, I'm thinking along the same lines. The last 2 springs they've released new models. I'm guessing that they redo the Bull to the 590 style but with a slotted grease tray and something like Camp Chef's slide and sear. You can never tell with those guys.

As an example the door on the WSM works fine, the Cajun Bandit door works also but there is no difference in the actual cooking/smoking with either door. So the factory door is perfectly adequate.

I don't know about that. I think you could debate the other side of that fairly easily.

Jon, I'm thinking along the same lines. The last 2 springs they've released new models. I'm guessing that they redo the Bull to the 590 style but with a slotted grease tray and something like Camp Chef's slide and sear. You can never tell with those guys.

I will be watching for sure!

Camp Chef gave him a Windwood. Anything he says or does is compromised.

Giving smokers to YT influencers has been a marketing strategy for Camp Chef. And they own those people.
I checked his video list and channel "about", no sign of any Camp Chef info. He has a gasser, a Weber 22in. Kettle, and a BGE.

I checked his video list and channel "about", no sign of any Camp Chef info. He has a gasser, a Weber 22in. Kettle, and a BGE.

Check out his Camp Chef Winwood review

This guy is really sleazy , he's deleted his Camp Chef review ........ its not on his channel any more.

Edit -- I found his Camp Chef review, over looked it last night. And I'm glad of that, I hate to think someone would try to hide their tracks. But my memory tells me he made another vid where he talks about going to a BBQ trade show in Dallas and meeting with the Camp Chef people and they told him they would send him a Woodwind. I've watched too many vids on SmokeFire to find that again. But basically, he's a paid employee of Camp Chef.

All of these YT influencers need to be straight up honest with people at the very start of any vid where they review a product, and state whether they bought it themselves or it was given to them. If they don't , they're just paid shills.

I've almost quit watching T-Roy Cooks vids because it seems most of them are him using a product that's been sent to him. Lone Star Grillz sent him a 20 X 42 offset stick burner and he only admitted it was given to him a month or so after he did a vid on it. LSG also sent Baby Back Maniac a 24 X 48 stickburner, probaby close to $4,000, and he told us from the get go it was given to him. ( I can't cal these gifts, because I'm sure there's strings attached, either stated or implied ) .

Last edited:
Camp Chef gave him a Windwood. Anything he says or does is compromised.

Giving smokers to YT influencers has been a marketing strategy for Camp Chef. And they own those people.

But that is how these companies get reviews on YouTube. They give out product. Now it is up to the influencer to have integrity or not, but getting a free product doesn't automatically make the reviews tainted. Greg Lampe gets free stuff all the time, but his reviews are legit. He will give products a negative review after getting it for free. When I worked in PC marketing we sent out free stuff all the time and there were zero strings attached. Even a negative review helped get the fact we had a new product out there. Camp Chef sends out alot of units and I have seen my fair share of negative reviews coming from that. Any review you read on any product is likely based on a something that was given for free. That includes movies, albums, books, etc.

To be honest, Weber not sending out free units may have hurt them with this launch. They could have gotten some much needed real world feedback.

Last edited:
But that is how these companies get reviews on YouTube. They give out product. Now it is up to the influencer to have integrity or not, but getting a free product doesn't automatically make the reviews tainted. Greg Lampe gets free stuff all the time, but his reviews are legit. He will give products a negative review after getting it for free. When I worked in PC marketing we sent out free stuff all the time and there were zero strings attached. Even a negative review helped get the fact we had a new product out there. Camp Chef sends out alot of units and I have seen my fair share of negative reviews coming from that.

Any review you read on any product is likely based on a something that was given for free. That includes movies, albums, books, etc.

No, I want real user reviews .... like Bruno has done here. Once they've told me they've been given a product, I change the channel. Yeah, they'll throw in something negative just to make an attempt at salvaging their integrity, but its mostly a waste of time.

And if I find out later, that they're paid influencers, then I really shove down the garbage hole.

All of these YT influencers need to be straight up honest with people at the very start of any vid where they review a product, and state whether they bought it themselves or it was given to them. If they don't , they're just paid shills.
The FTC has regulations requiring bloggers to disclose that the product or service they are reviewing has been provided for free. It’s the law.

For those who aren’t wasting a lot of time searching for data, there may be some additional information coming.

Amazing Ribs review is still in progress, but they added some to their SmokeFire Testing Journal and it sounds like they are getting close to finishing their review. They appear to be leaning positive.

I had to smile a bit when re the pellet hopper:
“Weber says we're OK to let SmokeFire run after the low pellet warning until the auger is empty and the system shuts down from lack of fuel. We will do so and report back.”
While on Page 3 of the user manual:
“WARNING! Do not allow the hopper to empty during operation of this grill.”
https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/pellet-grill/weber-smokefire-pellet-grill

There’s a comment from Harry Soo on 2/27 (Test 2 is a low and slow at 225 -250 over 12 – 16 hours):
“My SF arrived from Amazon last night so I'll do my test 2 after I return from competing at the Houston World Championships this weekend. By next week, you'll have two data points from me, good or bad!”

There was Facebook – Weber Grills post 5 days ago. I’d be interested in the Q&A.
“We have heard the concerns on social media, and we are also seeing lots of success stories. We are working directly with SmokeFire owners who contact our Consumer Care team to get them grilling quickly. We are going to address the questions with detailed instruction videos and Q&A that will be available in the coming days.”

The FTC has regulations requiring bloggers to disclose that the product or service they are reviewing has been provided for free. It’s the law.

The guy in the YT vid above, whose made a production of sending back his SF, went to a barbecue trade show in Dallas. He lives in Iowa. Pretty obvious he made the trip to find new ways to monetize his YT channel. And I don't have a problem with anyone making a buck. I believe in free market capitalism. But as a consumer, I'm also fully aware of the meaning of the latin phrase " caveat emptor " .

The YT channel " Cooking with Ry " was givne a Camp Chef. Right from the start he made it clear it was given to him. That was honest and I watched his entire vid cause I was interested in the product.

The guy from Iowa really crossed the line when he " bought " a SmokeFire and then told us to buy the Camp Chef, not the SmokeFire. I watched his SmokeFire review till he said that, and then I was gone and done with him. That just creates all kinds of doubt.

Well, I've made a big error here, I've watched way too many SmokeFire YT vids.

I've confused this fella's " Smoked and Seared " YT channel with a channel called " Everyday BBQ " .

It was Everyday BBQ that was given the Camp Chef. That's why I could not find the Camp Chef review on " Smoked and Seared " YT channel.

Everyday BBQ is from Illinois and he attended the BBQ trade show. I believe Smoked and Seared is in Iowa.

I'm pretty much done with this subject and need to stay away from it.

I just watched a couple more videos from the Tony Ngo guy. He threw in the towel. Said he's going to get a different smoker. However it seems Lowe's was giving him some hassle when he tried to return it. Something about contacting Weber also before they would take it. Apparently he had to drive around to more than one Lowe's to get it done. In the end he did return it but not for a refund. They gave him store credit. Hopefully Lowe's Kerry's something that will work for him.

The only reason I'm bringing it up is for those that might still be on the fence. It might be a good idea to to check the return policy before diving in.
I'm not going to link the videos, anyone can find them if they want to.

Last edited:

Back