SmokeFire issues on YouTube.

Meat head speaking his mind, I’ve written some fun stuff after a cocktail or three and had to erase it before someone quoted me and it was there forever.🙂

It’s a tough one, the SF has some issues but I’m leaning towards keeping mine, might be a collector’s item like the Weber fire pit’s, or as Kevin Kolman says it will get some updates and get dialed in.

Kevin said there will be updates to the design? If so, I'll just hold up on buying anything until that happens.

Secondly, I am amazed at how upset people are getting about the SF. There are definitely issues out there, Weber has even changed how they want the users to do (drip pans). But those who have not had major issues are basically attacking those who have. It's like people want to defend Weber at all costs. Why, I have no idea. Weber is just in it to make money like any other company. It's really interesting how divisive this product has been already. At the end of the day it's a product, that's it. Don't take any criticisms against it personally. I am seeing alot of that.

This guy is offering to help Weber. The Weber wedge :sneaky:. I think Dave is a step or two ahead of him. :cool:

Tom has been a complete skeptic of the design from day one. He hasn't been mean about it, just was honest in his thought that the design was flawed and some of the claims were untrue. Those are some good ideas in this video, I just don't know if Weber is going to actually implement any updates outside of firmware.

Kevin said there will be updates to the design? If so, I'll just hold up on buying anything until that happens.

Secondly, I am amazed at how upset people are getting about the SF. There are definitely issues out there, Weber has even changed how they want the users to do (drip pans). But those who have not had major issues are basically attacking those who have. It's like people want to defend Weber at all costs. Why, I have no idea. Weber is just in it to make money like any other company. It's really interesting how divisive this product has been already. At the end of the day it's a product, that's it. Don't take any criticisms against it personally. I am seeing alot of that.
I was referring to updates to the app. I also would like to know if anyone heard anything about physical changes to the smokefire.

I think I can try and summarize/consolidate everything with, There seems to be a disconnect with everything claimed VS what's happening, and how Weber is rolling back many/some of those claims. If they didn't build it up so high to begin with it could never have fallen so far. I've seen about everything there is to see, and I have no doubt it's a good smoker. But is it what they promised? And that's the real question/problem.

I think I can try and summarize/consolidate everything with, There seems to be a disconnect with everything claimed VS what's happening, and how Weber is rolling back many/some of those claims. If they didn't build it up so high to begin with it could never have fallen so far. I've seen about everything there is to see, and I have no doubt it's a good smoker. But is it what they promised? And that's the real question/problem.
I agree with you but it was not only Weber building it up so high pretty much after that November deal flying everyone in but not allowing them to cook anything as an actual low and slow which to me if you look back at it they did not really demonstrate it as a pellet cooker. Looking back at the early reviews they were already going to change the pellet grill market, did not happen maybe it still will

Because of the smokefire even people like me I think started to get interested in pellet grills. High heat sear not something I care about since I have a performer and a weber gasser but if you could all in one something that works even if I used it only a few times its nice to have it.

I am thankful for these threads as education that I have received on pellet grills as some others have said is an eye opener. Never thought they could be so much work to keep clean which appears between cleaning up the grease and needing a shop vac for ash and not sure why that would surprise me since the performer and the C need to be cleaned not every cook but they need some maintenance.

If I get one and it will not be till end of season I am fortunate as I have a deck and a walk out basement with an overhang a 20 amp outlet for power if it rains don't have to worry about a grease bucket overflowing and getting all over my deck or the electronics getting damaged or a long extension cord. I have a shop vac so that is not an issue.

They have to fix the pellet bin issue, the possible grease fire issue and having to use drip pans when they said you don't need them is a factor to me. I have been following Rich's Camp Chef experience which seems to be going very well so far at a much lower price point and it seems to be doing the job the WIFI nice to have but not at the cost where the app is useless and again your paying for that. Sometimes simpler is better.

Hoping they get this sorted out, my birthday is in Oct turning 67 my wife wants to do something special for me and she knows I love grills and she loves the food along with my kids who have jobs now. I had said in another thread that I don't need a lifetime grill anymore agreeing with Rich as that was his comment but if they get this thing sorted out and I will admit since I am a sucker for style which the Smoke Fire has it will be under consideration

I don’t think it is what they claimed. A pellet grill that can sear, do low and slow and all with much less maintenance than any other pellet grill requires...Obviously, that was altogether a reach way too far. However, it is a nicely made grill and very stylish for the price range. And even if it has hot spots, the steak grilling is impressive from a pellet grill. I hope a 2.0 version can be rolled out with better testing and more realistic expectations. In the meantime I hope current version owners can workaround these issues to be able to use their SmokeFire grills safely and enjoyably.

Glad to see so many people calming down and giving Weber a chance to address the issues, with supposedly 1000s out there its going to take some time to sort the issues out.
Me, at my age and health I will just say thank you to Weber for the wonderful products they made that I've had over the years.
My Camp Chef has so far performed perfectly allowing me to do some long cooks in the cold winter already.
Being a Beta tester wasn't in my game plan.
But with that said having the latest and the greatest would have been fun even with the situations you all are experiencing... maybe not..
Hang it there the sun will still come up tomorrow.
Rich

With Weber being who they are, when they announced they were bringing a pellet grill to market, everyone(?) knew one way or another it would be a big deal. Well, here we are, and it's been a big deal, both good and bad.

I frequent the forums of a certain large motorcycle manufacturer, and it happens there too. To some of the folks, the 'brand' becomes their lifestyle, and thus it becomes a very emotional event when things change. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. The middle ground has a tendency to sort itself out after a little time has gone by, and I fully expect that to happen with the SmokeFire too.

I don't own a pellet grill, yet. :) The SmokeFire will probably be the one though, although I might just bide my time until v2.

Hmmm, so lets see this thing is like two weeks old and there are already mods available to make it work like it should after spending over $1000, no bueno.
Weber mods are a cottage industry, always have been. I spent more on mods for my Smokey Mountain than I paid for the cooker but it was worth it. Sure, i wish Weber would have adopted a better door and a hinge and casters and side handles but they didn't so the fanbase delivered! The SmokeFire will be no different.

Weber mods are a cottage industry, always have been. I spent more on mods for my Smokey Mountain than I paid for the cooker but it was worth it. Sure, i wish Weber would have adopted a better door and a hinge and casters and side handles but they didn't so the fanbase delivered! The SmokeFire will be no different.
Exactly what i was saying!! As Weber fans this is what we do, maximize ease of use and potential to deliver great food.

Very interesting comment made at the 47 minute mark about acquiring smokers, sounds like some company (REC TEC?) might be announcing a new smoker.
Hmmmmmmm:unsure:

I agree with aftermarket mods, I had it myself on the WSM but in the SF case is totally different, let’s not confuse a product that does not work as intended/marketed with a mod that tries to make it work better.
As an example the door on the WSM works fine, the Cajun Bandit door works also but there is no difference in the actual cooking/smoking with either door. So the factory door is perfectly adequate.

I agree with aftermarket mods, I had it myself on the WSM but in the SF case is totally different, let’s not confuse a product that does not work as intended/marketed with a mod that tries to make it work better.
As an example the door on the WSM works fine, the Cajun Bandit door works also but there is no difference in the actual cooking/smoking with either door. So the factory door is perfectly adequate.
With all due respect, "works fine" is a relative term and there is a difference with some mods.

Back